• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Weird train-related dreams

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I don't often have weird dreams but the closest I've had to dreaming about trains was being on a out of control freight train and finding out a deranged David Hasselhoff was driving!!!

CJ
Did it start like this picture, where he clearly doesn’t know which end to drive it from..?

3BA8EAED-46F5-4D79-9FF5-663E49F78874.jpeg
(The Hoff sitting on a steam loco)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tracked

Established Member
one last night:

I was arriving home - which appeared to be a flat in an old shop unit on a retail park - when I got a call from my mother, and had to go to her house. I walked through a large empty car park to the station (in reality she lives a few streets away, less than the size of this car park), a two platform thing with a footbridge and two other lines to the back. As I approached a 319 was leaving already, closely followed by a vintage looking tram in a cream & yellow livery (cream round the windows), I'd missed it! Looking around the only way I could see of travelling would be to get in one of the small taxi trams (essentially a smaller version of the other tram) that pulled up on one of the through lines, but I knew these were expensive.

Last edited:

LUYMun

I had a weird dream last night.

I saw myself, in the third person, carrying large luggages on a South Western Railway Class 455, which was approaching Clapham Junction. As soon as I got off the 455 at Clapham Junction, the timeframe jumped from midday to midnight, and the horizon beyond the station could not be visible. The 455 had also disappeared.

Suddenly, I panicked because I forgotten which platform I had to interchange to, so I can get to reach my destination (which I have no clue now, possibly Gatwick Airport?). For some reason, I left my luggages unattended and went to see which platform my interchanging train would be.

I went along a wooden footbridge (a similar design to the one at Woking) to some abandoned-looking platforms, numbered 25 and 26, completely empty compared to others. The layout of the station also looked completely different: correlated platforms; no SWR sidings; no shorter, London Overground platforms; and above all the station was straightened instead of the Southern lines curving towards the south.

Peering across the station, it was made clear that the last train had left the station, yet Clapham Junction was somehow busy, and many passengers walked along the footbridge. I went back to the platform that I left my luggage, and that platform was packed with naturists, which some looked at me for still wearing clothes.

Regardless of the lack of clothing, I could not find my luggage anywhere - perhaps I hadn't heard the "See it, Say it, Sorted" announcements regarding the removal of unattended items without warning? Then, I panicked even further, going around the platform asking the naturists if they seen my luggage anywhere.

Eventually, that dream ended.

Last edited:

Tracked

Established Member
Inevitably, after looking at this thread again:

I was on a 144 coming into Doncaster from Sheffield, as we approached the platforms we swung off to the left. Instead of going straight into platform 8 the train turned round so it was facing back the way we'd come, then it reversed into platform 8 right behind a 47 that was pulling away towards Leeds.

:|

ed1971

I have been following this thread with interest: I have had a few railway related dreams over the years. They are ones that I remembered just before I woke up. In the early 1980s, I used to go with my grandad places on the train. He had been a shunter during WWII.

One morning in 1984, I dreamt that I was near to my local station. The trains travelled on the continental side of travel, the platforms were flat instead of raised and these new shiny very noisy dark blue stripe livered DMUs were stopping at the station. Looking back they had an uncanny resemblance to 150/2s which were not even introduced until two years later.

Sometime in 1992, I dreamt I was on Wigan Wallgate station with others bidding farewell to the last Class 141, even though in reality they never operated there.

In 1993, I dreamt that I was stood at my local station waiting of the train to Manchester. 142046 turned up. I was just about to board it, when I noticed an express headed by a Class 37 fast approaching from the rear. I quickly jumped back off and woke up before the impact. This has some similarities to the Winsford crash that wrote off 142008 in 1999.

Another time I dreamt that the Woodhead line had been reopened and I was travelling through the Woodhead tunnel on a 150/2.

More recently in September 2013, I dreamt that I was crossing a railway level crossing at a station with my mother and a train headed by a Class 31 was fast closing in on us. We just managed to cross in time. Not long after waking up, I had a phone call that My mother's friend had been taken to hospital and was very ill. She pulled through but it was touch and go for a few days.

Tracked

Established Member
Not had many recently, but then I've not been on a train since mid-March, had one last week:

The current Lockdown had ended, but train services weren't quite back to normal. I was walking onto Platform 1 on Sheffield to get the train home, I expected it to be the Cleethorpes train as this usually goes from there, however I saw a pair of TPE 185's on what is Platform 2 in real life, and looking at the departure board I saw that it was going from Platform 3 (Platform 2 at Sheffield in real life) and I was too late to catch it. This meant I would have to get the stopper that was due to leave 20 minutes later, it was formed of 2 x 3-car 144's, the rear unit was full, but knowing the carriages nearest the entrance would fill up first I went to the front unit. The front unit was almost empty, whether this had anything to do with the roof being missing from the middle carriage I'm not sure ...

175mph

On Moderation
I had a dream last night that involved being on a train of some description, and I boarded the train at an unstaffed station with no TVM and I pressed a button on the side of my seat, and out of the arm rest came a 'promise to pay' voucher. The dream ended before the conductor made it to me, though.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I had one the other night. For some reason I was going to broadcast something on BBC Radio, the studio to do this was in Luzern Railway Station in central Switzerland, I have no idea why, the outside of the station looked as it does in real life, but the interior was different, shaped like a cross (Think Swiss Flag), there were alot of ticket barrier gates to all platforms so access was restricted. The trains I saw were all of the older Swizz Green livery / rolling stock.!

LUYMun

A few nights ago I dreamt about driving a 1996 tube stock train on the Jubilee line from (possibly) West Ham to south London, slowly but successfully stopping at the stations. That dream must've come from a video I watched earlier that day about a Blue Peter presenter driving a simulated Jubilee line train, when the extension was still under construction.

Tracked

Established Member
Something about going round some islands in Scotland on a train last night, it required a few new bridges and some nice runs alongside the se from what I remember, it's nearly three months since I've been on a train to be fair :|

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I had one last night, dreamed that they were testing European/Finnish type double deck trains on the Shepperton Branch from Fulwell on SWR. (That would have been interesting, getting a double deck train through the Fulwell Tunnel.!) :D

Calthrop

Established Member
I had one last night, dreamed that they were testing European/Finnish type double deck trains on the Shepperton Branch from Fulwell on SWR. (That would have been interesting, getting a double deck train through the Fulwell Tunnel.!) :D

(My bolding) -- had you by any chance been watching the previous evening, the "World's Most Scenic Railways" programme on television, about a journey the length of Finland in the depths of winter?

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
(My bolding) -- had you by any chance been watching the previous evening, the "World's Most Scenic Railways" programme on television, about a journey the length of Finland in the depths of winter?

Yes, I did see that programme, but it was a few nights before this dream. (That Finnish journey did look good though too.)

Calthrop

Established Member
Yes, I did see that programme, but it was a few nights before this dream. (That Finnish journey did look good though too.)

Finland as a country, fascinates me; but for me,"scenic" means hills and mountains; however, each to their own...

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Finland as a country, fascinates me; but for me,"scenic" means hills and mountains; however, each to their own...
Yes, I know what you mean. I did have a weekend in Helsinki years ago and there was a steam train trip on the Sunday that I went on, from the main station into the country side, it was very good.

Calthrop

Established Member
Yes, I know what you mean. I did have a weekend in Helsinki years ago and there was a steam train trip on the Sunday that I went on, from the main station into the country side, it was very good.

I have 99% missed out on the "Northlands", as regards first-hand acquaintance; to my sorrow, never been to Finland. A thing I greatly like about that country, railway-wise, is that (looking several decades back now), it was the last place in Europe to have wood-burning steam locos in regular service (as was emphasised in the TV offering: one thing Finland has in great abundance, is wood...) .

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I have 99% missed out on the "Northlands", as regards first-hand acquaintance; to my sorrow, never been to Finland. A thing I greatly like about that country, railway-wise, is that (looking several decades back now), it was the last place in Europe to have wood-burning steam locos in regular service (as was emphasised in the TV offering: one thing Finland has in great abundance, is wood...) .
Yes, that is true. (I think that in previous years, The Railway Touring Company have done railtours in Sweden and Finland using steam locos including wood burning locos, maybe they will be able to again in the future when things get easier.)

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member
Considering I am interested in Railways and a very vivid dreamer, the former very rarely appears in the latter! However, for the last three nights there has been a train related dream on each occasion.
Firstly on Sunday night I dreamt that my partner had taken on a new job (she's a nurse so this was a change of some proportion) as a Train Manager and for some reason I was accompanying her on her first shift, on a HST working out of London. Unsurprisingly, she didn't have a clue what she should be doing and I then had one of those feelings of dread that occur in dreams that she was going to make a right mess of her first day...I asked her what the first stop was and she had no idea. This made me feel worse, so I looked it up somehow (RTT?) and found out it was Luton...this didn't mean anything to her either and I started explaining....then I woke up! (No idea why HST and Luton should come up...last time I journeyed on the MML was probably with a Cl45)

Next night, can't remember too much...but I was in France trying to return to the UK byt train - all I recall was that it was very frustrating (possible connection here was that we were dud to travel to Portugal by train before the lockdown and this was, of course, cancelled.

Then this morning, as I wasn't feeling too well I went back to bed after L went to work and even more unusally I fell asleep. I was lying in my bed on the end of a platform at a Junction station, easily identifiable as Morfa Mawddach. I was at the north end of the platform next to the Dolgellau and Ruabon line, when I heard and saw a signal being pulled off, indicating a train was arriving from the Barmouth direction. I thought I had better put some screens around the bed as I didn't think it right that the passengers should see me like this, but there was nothing to hand. To make matters worse, I saw steam in the distance from the Dolgellau direction, and almost simultaneously the up train from Barmouth direction appeared behind a 'Duchess' (in maroon) and the other train behind an A4. As I couldn't see any screens I decided to get out of bed and padded towards the station buildings (which were still extant...not the shelter of today) and look at the engines as both had stopped short...I then woke up.
I have had many journeys on this line as a young boy before the Ruabon line closed... and a number since, and I did live in Dolgellau for a few years....but can't make much sense of the A4 and Duchess!

Train Maniac

I had one a few nights ago. i remember i was going on a family trip to Brighton with my Mum and Dad. We were at Tonbridge station and as we walked down the steps a WCRC Maroon 47 went past with a container train. I was explaining to my parents that this was a rare occurrence when there was a sudden commotion at the end of the platform. I turned round to see a 313 in Manchester Metro livery with its pantographs on fire. I woke up at this point because it didnt make any sense at all because Tonbridge is obviously on the Southern 3rd Rail Network. Haha :lol:

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I had one last night. A friend and I were on a not very full Charter Steam train in Maroon Livery which was coming back from Carlisle to the London area, it stopped at Appleby and a scruffy youth in a black donkey jacket ran on to the platform, asking if we were calling at Jaywick, (A seaside town in Essex, near Clacton), he was told it was and came on board then sat in my place, but moved when I asked him to, he was very chatty and said that he had just come out/escaped from Borstal!!

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
I had one last night. A friend and I were on a not very full Charter Steam train in Maroon Livery which was coming back from Carlisle to the London area, it stopped at Appleby and a scruffy youth in a black donkey jacket ran on to the platform, asking if we were calling at Jaywick, (A seaside town in Essex, near Clacton), he was told it was and came on board then sat in my place, but moved when I asked him to, he was very chatty and said that he had just come out/escaped from Borstal!!

:lol:!! That made me chuckle!

Funny I had a charter dream a couple of days ago as well, different to the above mind, not the same tour!

Drove to Heathrow Airport station, on the GWML, was about where Hayes & Harlington is. Was about 0830am or so if I recall rightly, got out the car for a smoke, wasnt sure what time the charter, a BLS tour, was, but the station was empty and somehow found out it had left 10 minutes ago.

I looked on my phone, probably on RTT, and there was an unofficial stop at Chertsey, so I decided to drive over there and catch the tour there. I was really annoyed as I missed out on the Freight Only line between Acton and Kew Junctions as I needed that bit (odd at the real detail in my dream mind, usually it would be a non existent line!)

I must have caught it there, as the next bit of the dream was on the tour at the buffet. There was a menu on what was in offer but due to COVID 19 there was a restricted menu. A list Beers, Ciders, Wines, and the only food available was crisps or a sticky toffee pudding. I remember thinking that's alright, at least theres Cider!

That's all I remember, what other track was involved I've no idea!

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
There must be something about charter trains and dreams. I had one where had just arrived at Carlisle off a Steam Charter from the SCR and the Queen was there, about to depart southbound, she was having trouble getting through the crowds to see the steam locos.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
A few years ago I once had a weird dream that Brighton had an underground / metro system using former London Underground Central Line 1992 stock that would have been replaced by the new Siemens Inspiro trains by then. And it had a couple of lines, one from Shoreham to Lewes, and another one from Mile Oak or Patcham to Seaford.

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
A few years ago I once had a weird dream that Brighton had an underground / metro system using former London Underground Central Line 1992 stock that would have been replaced by the new Siemens Inspiro trains by then. And it had a couple of lines, one from Shoreham to Lewes, and another one from Mile Oak or Patcham to Seaford.

:lol: question is, was the 92 Stock using ATO on the Brighton network or was it not kitted out?

That's quite a metro system, distance wise, though for two lines!

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
:lol: question is, was the 92 Stock using ATO on the Brighton network or was it not kitted out?

That's quite a metro system, distance wise, though for two lines!

Using ATO indeed. And with next stop announcements voiced by Phil Sayer!

One station (if I remember correctly I think it was Old Steine) even had platform screen doors as potential trial for full driverless operation!

Tracked

Established Member
I was going back into work to pick something up, only work seemed to have moved to the south end of Sheffield (somewhere around Heeley) just near the railway, as I walked up to the office some sort of track maintenance unit went by - about 3 or 4 yellow carriages. Parked up at the front of work was a 142 body on wheels (not the bus they were based on, an actual single carriage of a 142), painted red with cream stripes :|

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I had one the other night. I was going on a train on the local lines around Amsterdam, from Centraal to Zuid, RAI etc, but the train was more like a tram and I was laying on the floor at the front, it had a huge window so one had a "Snails eye" view of the tracks. Don't know where the driver was. I was accompanied by the Queen mother of the Netherlands.

py_megapixel

Established Member
Very bizarre dream the other day - dreamt that I was on a Bristol-Manchester train which had been split at Stockport for some reason, with the BRI-SPT portion replaced by an DB ICE set and the SPT-MAN portion a bizarre formation of a 150/1, a 142 and a 322, hauled by a loco with a cab like a GA FLIRT and a low-floor luggage compartment!

I wish I'd been able to see the unit number of that loco!

Sean Davidson

I dreamed that I was on the Victoria line at Seven Sisters and all the tube trains had been replaced by Class 46 pulling suburban Mk1 coaches, they made a great noise in the tunnels, I went upstairs to the BR station expecting a 315 but there was a 317 that was reving away sounding like a thumper, the staff members on the platform were giving everyone a Matt Monroe record.