• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Weird train-related dreams

LUYMun

Another dream I had a few weeks ago: I was at a station akin to Chorleywood, wanting to get on a Metropolitan line train. As I emerged from an underpass, I saw the S8 stock train at the platform that was ready to depart. On the platform, however, there was a cardboard box filled with bus and rail timetables. Amazingly, the contents were suitable to my preferences, as it had included historical timetables of the Metropolitan line and my local bus operators. Being a keen timetable collector, and seeming that no-one wants it, I decided to take the whole box (looking back, I don't know why I did that). The driver was looking back on the train, saw me and shouted something like "come on, get on!"
In a hurry, I managed to get on the Metropolitan line train before it departed. However, at the next station, the driver approached and told me to get off because "the box doesn't belong to you."
I thought why the driver suddenly acts like he was upholding the law as some sort of police officer. I told him that no-one seemed to want the items, to which he replied "I don't care!" He went on to claim that everything I was possessing didn't belong to me, like my bag, my clothes and even my phone! At this point I thought that this driver was crazy because I wasn't a thief, but other passengers seemed to believe him. I proved to the driver that my phone was my property by showing a picture of me on my phone. He dismissed that as "being downloaded from social media" before promptly kicking me out. The doors then shut and the Met train departed without the need of the driver in the cab.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

trainophile

Established Member
Modern day one last night - I was sitting on a train and noticed someone across the aisle didn't have a mask on. I told him to put his mask on (I know this won't be popular but hey it was a dream!) and then I started noticing nobody had a mask on. The guard came along and he didn't have one either. Then he said to me "you haven't had your meal yet have you? I'll fetch it", and brought a big platter of something steaming - I said is it spicy and he said not very. I reckon the mask thing was wishful thinking about things being back to normal.

In the same dream I had been changing at a multi-level station to go to somewhere I can't remember, and jumped on a train that came in, only to notice as we pulled away that two other people who were also going to the same place were still on the platform, and realised I had no idea where I was going!

I'm sure a shrink would have a field day with that lot. It was all very vivid.

Chris217

My dream earlier,I was on a HST leaving London Paddington going to Cardiff Central and I drifted off to sleep.
I woke up as the train was departing Cardiff,so next stop was Bridgend.
When I got off it was a TfW class 170?
I crossed over the platform to get the train back to Cardiff and the next service was going to Southport which came in as a class 777?

lxfe_mxtterz

Had quite an scary one last night...

I was walking along a main road in some nondescript area of London and decided to turn off and venture down a smaller road - at the end of which was a gateway leading into a park. Whilst walking along the smaller road, I was startled by a tree quite literally falling into the road just metres in front of me, before a random local un-reassuringly reassured me, "That always happens, it's just the train!"

At some point, the park opened up to give way to a part of unprotected (no fences, etc.) path running parallel with what looked like a main line railway - it had about six tracks running alongside each other.

In the middle of this, the path formed a T-junction and the spur of which went up and formed a pedestrian level crossing (again, with no fences or barriers). Somehow, the level crossing was at such an incline that I couldn't see over the other side of it, yet the railway was flat. I noticed a sign pointing to the crossing saying "(forgot the name, will update if I remember) Pier".

And just like that, I had some terrifying man flailing his arms around shouting at me, saying he was going to ask me a question and if I didn't answer correctly and with only one word, threatening to "put me under a train"...

So, he asked, and all that came out was incomprehensible gibberish.

Don't what happened after that, but I was suddenly in a deserted, undecorated Central Line station in which anything but the colours between grey and white were non-existent. There were no posters, no adverts, just white tiles everywhere.

I expect I woke up after that because I can't remember anything else.

Last edited:

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I had one last night that involved me travelling on some sort of elevated high speed rail link that started at Blackpool South, ran through the town centre but close to the coast and passed very close up to Blackpool Tower. It then turned in land and followed the alignment of the current line from Blackpool North. There was a woman on the train recording a news article about this high speed link and she mentioned in her commentary that the train we were travelling on was some sort of international service as Paris was mentioned as the final destination. We passed some sidings that had "Javelins" parked in them and she remarked that they provided high speed commuter services from Blackpool to Manchester.

trainophile

Established Member
I had one last night that involved me travelling on some sort of elevated high speed rail link that started at Blackpool South, ran through the town centre but close to the coast and passed very close up to Blackpool Tower. It then turned in land and followed the alignment of the current line from Blackpool North. There was a woman on the train recording a news article about this high speed link and she mentioned in her commentary that the train we were travelling on was some sort of international service as Paris was mentioned as the final destination. We passed some sidings that had "Javelins" parked in them and she remarked that they provided high speed commuter services from Blackpool to Manchester.

Did you watch Homes Under the Hammer yesterday by any chance? One of the properties was in Blackpool and they showed the Tower and kidded on that it was Paris. Might explain one element of your dream if so.

Established Member
I had a wierd one this morning, a combination of wishful thinking and too much time reading this forum.

Wetherspoons had been allowed to reopen, but the substantial meal rule applying everywhere and even stricter in that you couldn't even have a coffee or Pepsi without a meal. I got the train to Liverpool for a 'Spoons breakfast at the North Western and was challenged by a BTP officer on the concourse as to my reasons for travel. I explained I was going for food and was let on my way. A post night shift style breakfast followed consisting of a large fry up and more alcohol than I'd be willing to admit. (Ok. That's from my last visit to The North Western...) I was so glad 'Spoons was open again so decided to make a day of it and jump on a TPE 802 and go to Newcastle. After my meal there, I was stopped from boarding the train home by BTP as "a drinking session isn't essential travel". I pointed out that you couldn't do that anymore and you had to be having a meal, and food very much is essential but the argument continued.

He eventually let me go but I missed the train. So went back to the pub! I saw the same officer on return to the station some hours later who was not impressed to see me heading towards the train with a case of beers for the journey...

trainophile

Established Member
I had a wierd one this morning, a combination of wishful thinking and too much time reading this forum.

Wetherspoons had been allowed to reopen, but the substantial meal rule applying everywhere and even stricter in that you couldn't even have a coffee or Pepsi without a meal. I got the train to Liverpool for a 'Spoons breakfast at the North Western and was challenged by a BTP officer on the concourse as to my reasons for travel. I explained I was going for food and was let on my way. A post night shift style breakfast followed consisting of a large fry up and more alcohol than I'd be willing to admit. (Ok. That's from my last visit to The North Western...) I was so glad 'Spoons was open again so decided to make a day of it and jump on a TPE 802 and go to Newcastle. After my meal there, I was stopped from boarding the train home by BTP as "a drinking session isn't essential travel". I pointed out that you couldn't do that anymore and you had to be having a meal, and food very much is essential but the argument continued.

He eventually let me go but I missed the train. So went back to the pub! I saw the same officer on return to the station some hours later who was not impressed to see me heading towards the train with a case of beers for the journey...

Are you sure all that was a dream? :lol:

Envy123

2 recent ones:

1. I needed to go with my mother from Wembley Central to Huntingdon. My mother wanted to go north on the WCML and somehow get to Huntingdon from there (?). She almost boarded a train but I stopped her on time. The last thing I heard from the train on-board announcer was "Change here for Leicester Junction" (?).
  2. I was trying to get to Stepney Green on LU but the District Line train kept going to random places. One station was called Ludum Dare and was apparently on the Circle, District and H&C lines.

Tracked

Established Member
It was summertime, I know that because I was getting a lift to Doncaster Station to get the 05:59 St Pancras train and it was light, but I got there massively early and had nearly an hour to wait.

I noticed on the departure board that just after 05:00 there was a service to Southampton, but it didn't stop at my destination. It had just three stops, the first I can remember as it was at Edlington, which is a couple of miles from Doncaster and not actually on any rail line ...

I sat down on some seats (near where the Subway on the concourse is) and tried to read the Metro, but kept getting distracted by people, so decided to have a walk onto the platform to see the Southampton train. It was two 91's top & tailing a single carriage, both with the pointy ends pointing to the carriage. A member of staff on the station asked me if I wanted to take a photo of them, but I didn't, because I found them boring ...

It was summertime, I know that because I was getting a lift to Doncaster Station to get the 05:59 St Pancras train and it was light, but I got there massively early and had nearly an hour to wait.

I noticed on the departure board that just after 05:00 there was a service to Southampton, but it didn't stop at my destination. It had just three stops, the first I can remember as it was at Edlington, which is a couple of miles from Doncaster and not actually on any rail line ...

I sat down on some seats (near where the Subway on the concourse is) and tried to read the Metro, but kept getting distracted by people, so decided to have a walk onto the platform to see the Southampton train. It was two 91's top & tailing a single carriage, both with the pointy ends pointing to the carriage. A member of staff on the station asked me if I wanted to take a photo of them, but I didn't, because I found them boring ...
What livery was the train?

Had a model railway dream last night by the way: I looked at the box of model railways and I saw a Hornby Dublo Mk2 DBSO with the Class 150 styled cab. However I took two Virgin Trains coaches and white unpainted Mk3 coach.

Tracked

Established Member
What livery was the train?

Had a model railway dream last night by the way: I looked at the box of model railways and I saw a Hornby Dublo Mk2 DBSO with the Class 150 styled cab. However I took two Virgin Trains coaches and white unpainted Mk3 coach.
Honestly can't remember, not sure whether that's related to me finding them boring or leaving it half a day before remembering to add it to the thread :oops:

I dreamed that I was one of 6 people sat at a table for 4 in an LNER Mk3 coach (one of the ex-EMT coaches with the low backed seats). I don't remember much else except that everyone else I was sat with was drunk (they were all strangers). A very odd train related dream.

Tracked

Established Member
I was in my car, giving a couple of people a lift, there was something weird about them (and my car, seeing as they were both sat in the front seats next to mine) and after I dropped them on the main road and turned left down a side street I kept looking back to check they were still there.

I came to a single track with OHLE, there used to be a second track there but it was now a path and it led to Clapham Junction station, although I didn't see most of the station because it led to a platform at the side of the station and when I got on the train one of the station buildings was in the way.

I was worried about the train crashing, so tried to move back, but realised there was no through corridor, and on further investigating it turned out I was in the middle car of a train comprising: 1 x 2-Car 1st Gen DMU, 1 x 1st Gen Bubble Car, 1 x 2-Car 142.

I stayed where I was, and watched a Thumper of some sort go out at the end of the platform just before us. Luckily there was only a couple of stops before it reached Sheffield, but there was a long tunnel to go through first, woke up as the train was going through the tunnel.

------------------------------------------
08/02 - this seems to have auto-merged with Saturday's
------------------------

Me again, I was in some sort of building near the coast, there was a long corridor going towards the sea and a medium size room at the end of it which seemed to be some sort of ticket checking thing. Opon reaching it and looking back there was a station whose platforms started from up against the corridor I'd just walked up, and a train was pulling in from Norway. It was pulled by a steam engine that had no steam coming from it, and instead of carriages it was pulling wagons that each had three miniature houses on them ... :s

Last edited:

geoffk

Established Member
Had a few of these, but last night I remember being lineside somewhere and seeing GWR prairie tank 5130. It's the first time I can remember an actual number. I was trying to ask someone if I had misread it as I knew all but one of this batch of locos had been withdrawn years before I began trainspotting. I must have woken up then.

Last edited:

Chris217

Wierd dream last night.
Whilst spotting at Stafford (in my dream lol) saw a HST power car hauling 2 mk4s a BG barrier vehicle,2 class 142 Pacers another barrier vehicle 3 mk3s another barrier vehicle,2 more 142s another barrier and another HST power car at the back! Both power cars and all Pacers working!
Great capture if I was awake hehe

Tracked

Established Member
I was watching something about a miniature railway that was having to change its route and close off part of its car park due to Brexit-related falling sheep. It was next to a sheep farm, the field of which had a steep drop where it bordered with the railway. As it wasn't often used the issue of sheep walking up the the edge and falling on cars/trains wasn't much of an issue, but after Brexit the demand for Sheep had fallen, so large numbers of the older sheep of the farm were being put in that field and at least a couple a day would end up falling off the edge.

Cambus731

Had a horrible dream last night that Perth station got completely remodelled and all its interior, including that lovely clock were destroyed.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I had one the other night, I was using Putney SWR station, (I did used to work there some years ago) however it was a low level station located at the other end of Putney High Street, very close to the river, it had 21 platforms, accessed by a subway which looked like the subways at Waterloo, before they were modernised. There were very long staircase upto the the platforms and when the train came in it was formed of very short TGV like carriages and the whole train was turned on a very small turning circle.

Saw a withdrawn Class 303 EMU in Northern Rail livery (from the Abellio and Serco era) in my dream earlier this morning.

Chris217

My dream Last night....
I was walking to my bus stop,and it started raining,so I ran into the bus shelter and I noticed a door?
So I turned the handle and it opened inwards and inside to my delight,was a giant room that seemed to go on for ever.On the left hand side was a very long line of old 1980s fruit machines
( collect these as a hobby!)
And on the right was a giant model railway with trains from the 80s period running around. It was giant.
There was a man inside and he said play all the machines and watch the trains going round as much as you like but you must keep moving forward,not backward,and when you get to the end you will see a door and you must exit.
I saw loads of different trains,and different scenes on the layout.
Some featured overhead wires and some third rail with stock that ran on them.
It seemed like I was in there for an age and when I got to the end,I said thank you to the man for all my enjoyment in passing through.
I walked out the door to exit and wafound myself at the stop I wanted to get off at?
I

Last edited:

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I had another one last night, I was taking a local train from Shepperton, a few stops up the line to Hampton (SW London). It was formed of green suburban side corridor stock, there was also a narrow gauge line which was being restored and being connected with the Kempton Waterworks railway, (which is not that far away in fact.)

The dream must have been set years ago and I must have been bunking off school at the time, as I was then in the headmasters study being given 500 lines! Very odd, although the latter did happen to me when I was at school.:oops::oops:

Established Member
Had a wierd one last night.

I was invited onboard to accompany the conductor on a 185 from Man Picc to Hull for some reason, which I gladly did. We departed and I remember calling at Guide Bridge, which looked like Helen's Bay station in Northern Ireland. We then proceeded towards Stalybridge, with the scenery of the line between Coleraine and Derry~Londonderry.

I remember looking up and seeing us on platform 9 at Leeds, then the next thing I remember we'd arrived at... Cleethorpes! (Which had a resemblance of Dublin Connolly) There was over 2 hours until the train went back so I saw a 185 heading towards Barton on Humber. I opted to travel on that and the unit seemed to be mid refurb. 1st class was pre refurb and the seats beyond 1st in Coach C had been ripped out and the area was being used as a trolley storage area. 6 trolleys, completely stocked with food+drink, the accompanying hosts and around 10 other passengers were all in the area. Departure time came and went so I decided to bail out to avoid missing the train back to Manchester.

I found the traincrew of the Manchester service who said they were heading to 'Spoons for a brew, and it didn't matter about the lockdown closure because they were railway staff and weren't buying alcohol. I distinctly remember the 'Spoons being called The Ivy House which is in Alton, and required. Heading back to the station I saw a required Northern class 174(113) (which was pretty much a 170, albeit in a combination of debranded XC grey, GTR Southern Green and Northern logos slapped on). Then something to do with crushing several bags of crisps and piling the crumbs into one packet, following the suggestion of the information desk. No idea what any of that was about...

Tracked

Established Member
A few this week.

- I was coming back from Sheffield to Doncaster on the local train, possibly a Class 114, as it came round the curve (which went round to the right, and doesn't exist) into Conisbrough it came off the tracks and slowly rolled down the hill (which doesn't exist). It came to a stop at the bottom of the hill, which was at the other end of the car park (which doesn't exist) to the station building (which doesn't exist). We all got off the train and taxi's were arriving to take us on.

- I was at the roundabout near Doncaster Racecourse, and for some reason wanted to get to the 3rd floor (not sure what of, being at the roundabout). Fortunately there was a train to the 3rd floor, it went up the road at the side of the racecourse and then reversed through some points, climbing as it did so. It went through a door and I got off near the docks (which, as per the above, don't exist), as I was looking at the railway line at the edge of the docks a pair of shunters (0-6-0 wheel arrangement, raised - slightly off-centre - cabs).

- I was on the train from Sheffield to Doncaster, we'd just gone left Rotherham Central and were approaching the steelworks, the track we were travelling on was quite overgrown with grass that needed a good watering. We went the old road, avoiding Swinton, and after a short bit of single track it appeared the train had gone back to Rotherham Central, only some Mk3's were being scrapped around the double track before we joined it.

Last edited:

Paul Jones 88

I dreamt I was on a VEP going to Hastings and the ticket man come round, not checking tickets but issuing everyone with a bottle of scotch and a pack of ciggies.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Strange one recently! Dreamed I was on a double-decker variant of the class 334 travelling from Bellgrove to Hyndland. I got thrown (and I mean thrown) off the train at Partick as I had an invalid ticket. For some reason the doors were on the top deck, with about a 3-4 metre drop down to the platform!!

Calthrop

Established Member
Had a dream last night involving time-travel: logistics thereof were difficult and complicated, involving setting out from and returning to a particular location in Washington, D.C. Was looking at pictures taken by a fellow-railway enthusiast, on such a trip back in time which he had made: to Australia (New South Wales, I think) in the latter years of regular steam there -- these included one particularly magnificent photo of a heavy freight train, triple-headed by steam locos, one of them a Garratt. I was consumed by envy of the bloke, and wished hugely to emulate his feat; but the time-travelling method seemed so complex and potentially dicey -- and the risks if things went wrong, appeared to me so horrendous -- that I was greatly afraid to make the venture: woke up without having done the thing.

Had one before I got up this morning: I was at a pre-1977 Glasgow subway station somewhere in west end of Glasgow (probably in Partick) and there is an interchange with another Glasgow subway line from there to somewhere in the east end, probably Rutherglen. The carriages were green, and the seats were forward and backward facing with tables fitted.

There was even a 'Strathclyde Transport' logo at the station, although this logo does not exist until around 1983!

Last edited:

Chris217

Had a strange dream earlier.
I had just missed my stop as I fell asleep on the train going out for a day's trains spotting.
Anyway,the plan was to get off the next stop and catch the next train back.
As I approached the next station,it seemed I travelled back in time.
The station was called Rhodirand and had a big brown metal station sign on the platform.
I got off my train which was formed of 2 mk2 blue & grey coaches.
Looking back I noticed it was a dead end platform? How on earth did we go through a dead end?
The engine on the front was 37186 in BR blue livery and had a Marylebone ME shed sticker?
On the front it had 1D16 as its Headcode.
Looking around I noticed the station had 2 through platforms and some adjacent running lines of which I saw anther Blue 37 with split headcodes and a 25 D5230?
I went to the buffet and had an egg sandwich and the announcer advertised a passing freight train that wasn't stopping. I looked through the window and it was a class 56 in all over grey!
Somewhat confused,I went outside to try and find out what the date was,and asked a few passengers that couldn't answer my question?
Then I went outside the station and saw a WH Smiths,so i went in there.
Looking at all the newspapers searching for today's date.
None of the newspapers were dated?
I went back to the station. My train had gone but there was a service from Cardiff to Liverpool due.
When it came in it was a DVT on mk2s with a class 66 pushing.
I boarded the next southbound service to go back to the stop I intended to get off at. When it came in it was a class 120 DMU so I sat in the front behind the driver so I could watch my journey.
We went through a tunnel and when we came out the other end there was a giant freight yard on the left and equally large railway depot on the right then we approached our station which was massive.
As I passed the depot I noticed a large display of steam and diesel locomotives.
It's was like nothing was ever scrapped.
With working steam alongside class 66s with everything else in-between!
I got talking to another train spotter on the platform and i noticed he had a combined volume which I took a look at.
Again,it wasn't dated.
I asked him when he bought the book and he told me it was his dad's and he used it when he was a kid!
I took loads of photographs of the day and when I got home I took my films to be processed but all my photographs came back blank?
I never did find out the date?

Last edited: