• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Weird train-related dreams

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I had one last night, I was on a railtour charter train with MK1 or MK11 carriages, it was an overnight train and I was in a sort of sleeper compartment for 6 people, but my bed was accross the door, so I don't I know how other passengers were supposed to get in.This then morphed into a reclining seat, as the train veered right of the WCML near Leyland (Perhaps Farrington?) people were waving from local stations at the train. I was then offered free breakfast from the crew, tea and toast, however when the tea came it was a tiny portion of vegatable soup, I think the toast was ok. However I was charged £ 16.00 for that, gave £ 21.00 for it and got a five pound coin as change, it was gold and had Churchill's image on it!

Stop eating cheese before bed! :lol:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Calthrop

Established Member
Odd one a couple of nights ago. I must have been 70-some years back in the past: the venue was a narrow-gauge line in Ireland, by that date freight-only. Line traversed spectacular hilly scenery -- it "felt" like the Tralee & Dingle, but there was a dream-perception that the scene was in the north of Ireland.

I was one of a party of folk who had permission to travel on a (steam-hauled) freight train on the line. It turned out, though, on the day, that those in authority judged our party too large to be able to travel safely on the train. Instead, they had on hand a steam traction engine hauling a trailer -- in which equipage we would have to travel parallel with the train, on the line's roadside route. We made known our distress and frustration about that, but the staff were adamant about not letting us on the train. Dream-memory ends there -- whether with waking up, or just not recalling further.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Stop eating cheese before bed! :lol:

The cheese at night thing is a myth; about half the time I have a supper consisting of cheddar cheese on cream cracker biscuits and on those nights I tend to sleep more soundly than on those nights when I don't.

It's very likely an individual thing as to whether or not cheese or any other factor influences the ability to sleep and / or dream that night.

trainophile

Established Member
Last night I dreamed I was waiting at Piccadilly for my regular ATW train, but when I found the right platform there was a gap of about three feet between the train and the platform. Everyone was standing around wondering how to get on board.

Eentually I leapt over the gap, grabbed an internal door rail (the doors were open) and boarded, only to find the seats were nearly all already taken. I spotted one and sat in it, to find I was next to a giant of a bloke in the window seat, who was tenderly cradling two baby pigeons. He asked me if I would help to look after them, then dumped them in my lap!

There was more but it all got totally wacky then. It was probably Freudian anyway :oops: . I had been to see the Beatles film Eight Days a Week yesterday afternoon, so a bit of psychedelia must have stayed in my head!

Tracked

Established Member
In the middle of a non-train related dream I ended up on Anerley station trying to catch trains that were not running*. After checking google earth I can now see that the real Anerley station only has 1 "n" in its name, isn't in a cutting with the station building on a bridge over the railway lines, and doesn't have overhead wires. It's also not at the south end of the midlands either ...

Damn these inaccurately rendered dreams! <(

* it was some weird War of the Worlds type scenario, I was driving south to get away from it, stopped in the above town, checked out the (lack of) local rail service and decided to stay there. As you of course would do in a scenario such as this ... :|

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
In the middle of a non-train related dream I ended up on Anerley station trying to catch trains that were not running*. After checking google earth I can now see that the real Anerley station only has 1 "n" in its name, isn't in a cutting with the station building on a bridge over the railway lines, and doesn't have overhead wires. It's also not at the south end of the midlands either ...

Damn these inaccurately rendered dreams! <(

* it was some weird War of the Worlds type scenario, I was driving south to get away from it, stopped in the above town, checked out the (lack of) local rail service and decided to stay there. As you of course would do in a scenario such as this ... :|

That is odd, I have had dream like that, where the gap between train and platform is huge. Wonder what a dreamologist would make of these?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I had a dream a couple of nights ago that I was on a loco hauled train that somehow had ended up with a Peak on it and this was set in the present day!
I don't remember all of the dream but I remember being at Teignmouth and it being a bit dark, a couple of friends were with me, there were a couple of other bashers around too and we were waiting for the off which was taking ages, so long in fact that we were walking on the track taking photos.
The Peak had a strange plated over middle window and looked a bit different.
I woke up (probably due to excitement) as we were storming through the gully going towards Newton Abbot and I had my head out of the front coach window.

No cheese or drugs were involved in the making of this dream. I put it down too spending to much time reading the trip reports section on the forum.

Last edited:

DasLunatic

I was out trainbashing one morning, and boarded 360108 towards Ipswich. Just before Manningtree, the train branched off and ascended a rather large and steep gradient. I looked out of the window and the railway had inexplicably transformed into a wooden rollercoaster. I also saw Boris Johnson on a pedal-powered helicopter, and driving the train was Kryten (Red Dwarf). Lister was sat three rows back and Rimmer had been tied to the tracks by a robot lookalike of Matt Smith, complete with fez and bowtie.

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
I had a dream a couple of nights ago that I was on a loco hauled train that somehow had ended up with a Peak on it and this was set in the present day!
I don't remember all of the dream but I remember being at Teignmouth and it being a bit dark, a couple of friends were with me, there were a couple of other bashers around too and we were waiting for the off which was taking ages, so long in fact that we were walking on the track taking photos.
The Peak had a strange plated over middle window and looked a bit different.
I woke up (probably due to excitement) as we were storming through the gully going towards Newton Abbot and I had my head out of the front coach window.

No cheese or drugs were involved in the making of this dream. I put it down too spending to much time reading the trip reports section on the forum.

The inaccuracy there is no one came along and told you to stop leaning out the window :lol:!!

Unless its set pre-2015/16 then thats ok :p

Established Member
I can't really remember much about it, but I had a dream the other night about going through a crowded underground railway station (the closest one in real life I can think of is Moorfields) and then watching yellow trains leave from the platform. They were definitely units of the PEP design, but very strangely they all had "51????" designations. The only possible thing I can think of is perhaps the new Merseyrail trains will be designated Class 51?, but even so they haven't been ordered yet! Time will tell though.

trainophile

Established Member
I can't really remember much about it, but I had a dream the other night about going through a crowded underground railway station (the closest one in real life I can think of is Moorfields) and then watching yellow trains leave from the platform. They were definitely units of the PEP design, but very strangely they all had "51????" designations. The only possible thing I can think of is perhaps the new Merseyrail trains will be designated Class 51?, but even so they haven't been ordered yet! Time will tell though.

You need to change your avatar, those grey liveried trains are so last year! :lol:

J-2739

Established Member
This is a nightmare that I had a long time ago. Weird one also.

I was in this gigantic station spanning 100 platforms, like a Berlin Hauptbahnhof. There was a huge variety of trains, from the rustiest Mk3 car to the latest commuter trains with all the modern features (32" pis, vacuum formed seats etc.). I just stared in deep awe. As I reached the far left, I came across a double sided class 43, coated with only the best royal red. What was supposed to be the engine room was instead a hideout for demons and witches, stiring inside a chrome black pot. As I turned to go, one of the demons grabbed hold of my black leg, and before I could save myself, I was casted directly into the mixture.

My Nigerian soul was never the same the next day...:cry:

Established Member
I like the yellow side of the new one but not the grey side which looks drab.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah, I agree with you there. I think having one side that is yellow and one side that is grey is odd, I personally think having an all-yellow variant and an all-grey variant would have been better.

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
I have some REALLY screwed up dream last night about some imported class 150 from Ljubljana, and was in some Visit Ljubljana livery...no idea what that was about but I saw it at Westbury station.

Must have been the cheeseburgers, because the dream had talking pigs as well, and was talking to one of them...seriously don't ask!!

Calthrop

Established Member
Very odd dream last night. With a friend with whom I have often undertaken railwaying trips of various lengths in the past, I was travelling by train through northern / eastern France. I don’t remember the actual names of the assorted stations where we called – kind of have the impression that they were “made-up”, not real, town names; but I knew, as one does in dreams, what geographical area we were travelling in. We were in “European standard classic”, as opposed to highly modern, compartment coaching stock. At times, my companion was “swarmed” by local amorous young ladies, interested in getting to know him better; they took no interest in me.

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Very odd dream last night. With a friend with whom I have often undertaken railwaying trips of various lengths in the past, I was travelling by train through northern / eastern France. I don’t remember the actual names of the assorted stations where we called – kind of have the impression that they were “made-up”, not real, town names; but I knew, as one does in dreams, what geographical area we were travelling in. We were in “European standard classic”, as opposed to highly modern, compartment coaching stock. At times, my companion was “swarmed” by local amorous young ladies, interested in getting to know him better; they took no interest in me.

:lol:!!!

I had ANOTHER Class 150 dream!

Got off a GW blue 150 at Weymouth, went to the concourse, realised I left my bags on the train, went back on the 150, couldn't understand why people were sat down thought they should have got off then the doors closed and hear two beats on the buzzer then it set off!

I went to the back and found the guard and said 'Where are you going!?', he replied 'Bristol', then I said I left my bags on the train I want to get them off, then he slammed the buzzer holding it for a few seconds then the train slammed to a halt, he said 'quick get your bags then' so I went down the saloon, found my bags and the train set off with me still on. I had a go at the guard saying I'm still on, but he said I'll have to get off at Dorchester now, and make my own way back to Weymouth because there was a long wait for the next unit back.

Funny thing was it was single track all the way to Dorchester, the Bournemouth line diverged to the right just past the end of the station

Trainfan344

Established Member
Weirdest dream I've had is boarding a Eurostar in Stoke and disembarking in Tokyo. Then finding no trains back to where I've come from.

Envy123

Luton Airport's station became Stevenage. Luton Airport Parkway was used to transport luggage (?). It was also blocking access to people who haven't worked in a year, for some reason.

I previously got on the train at a different Kings Cross (more like Liverpool Street) where other trains going to bizarre locations such as "Tincars". There was even a coach that was modified to be a train. Another train was a sleeper to Glasgow Central (saw Justin from Ugly Betty in pyjamas on the train). There was a daily train-boat service to Belfast too.

The driver of the Great Northern train decided to speed up the journey and make the journey to Stevenage in only 10 minutes. But he got confused where next to stop. As we were approaching Letchworth, the PIS said "The next station is Cambridge". The driver got confused and said "Is the next station really Cambridge or did I dun goofed again?". He also criticised people who live in Peterborough and Huntingdon.

I changed the dream so that I was back to Kings Cross and waited for the Great Northern train to be driven by an actual competent driver.

D365

Veteran Member
Something about the Class 321 Renatus and the all-new Greater Anglia fleet order..?

Calthrop

Established Member
Had a doozy of a rail-related dream last night. I was at some location on a main line in northern Greece, with a party of fellow-railway enthusiasts. Some mysterious but obviously severe mishap down the line, had required numerous steam locos to be taken out of store and used in place of the normal diesel power, on passenger and freight workings passing through the station where we were -- particularly in the evenings. These steam locos were variously from the Greek, Turkish, and Portuguese railways (yes, I know, this last is especially barmy). I knew -- the way one knows things in dreams -- that all this stuff was taking place now, in 2017.

backontrack

Established Member
I was out trainbashing one morning, and boarded 360108 towards Ipswich. Just before Manningtree, the train branched off and ascended a rather large and steep gradient. I looked out of the window and the railway had inexplicably transformed into a wooden rollercoaster. I also saw Boris Johnson on a pedal-powered helicopter, and driving the train was Kryten (Red Dwarf). Lister was sat three rows back and Rimmer had been tied to the tracks by a robot lookalike of Matt Smith, complete with fez and bowtie.

Brilliant :lol:

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Originally Posted by DasLunatic
Brilliant :lol:

I thought it was Tommy Cooper who was associated with the fez?

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I had a funny dream last night. I was at a very big and busy main station in Vancouver, British Columbia - Western Canada, there were loads of busy trains coming in and out all the time from all over Canada. There was a large modern hotel over the top of the station and guests in those rooms with balconys had great views. There were alot of steam trains too. It was very rainy too. For some reason I got told off by one of the RCMP officers, not quite sure why though.

Tracked

Established Member
I was at a level crossing, somewhere in the countryside, a HST went past with 222 carriages rather than MK3's. The first door on the right-hand side fell off the first carriage, but I was aware that this falling off at level crossings was a known problem ... :neutral:

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
I was at a level crossing, somewhere in the countryside, a HST went past with 222 carriages rather than MK3's. The first door on the right-hand side fell off the first carriage, but I was aware that this falling off at level crossings was a known problem ... :neutral:

:lol:!!! Brilliant!

I had one last night with HST's...sort of

I was at Didcot and walking up the yard (there was a public footpath through it) it was dark and there was a row of 5 DRS class 20's.
But also there was 4 HST powercars in DRS compass livery which I knew were for RHTT's.
There was also a GWR green 150 with some text on which I can't remember but that was something to do with track testing (like the 950).

Back at platform 3 at Didcot the 1 coach 158 (!?!) was about to leave and thd guard shouted if anyone wanted to a runby photoshoot we could but I was the only one doing it. He told me it would pick me up at the end if the platform by the butchers. (Yes, there was a butchers shop at the end of the platform!!)

Straight away he shut the door and gave the RA so I had to leg it to the butchers to get the shot which came out bad anyway. I got on and the 158 in FGW lines livery had leather seats in a 3+2 configuration.

Very odd!