• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Weirdest Oddities Still on the UK Network?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHurcum

Hi All

So, I love railway oddities, mostly historical ones, such as Newhaven Marine or 'Charilie' BR's last Shunting Horse for example. Recently I've been thinking how cool it would have been to have seen these things in action. Now I know there is nothing quite as odd as horse powered traction used today on our Rail Network but I was wondering what information people have for strange railway happenings on the UK Network that can be witnessed today. Thanks in advance!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Seeing trains 'flagged' across Tal-Y-Cafn level crossing by the keeper, who also has to swing the gates manually, seems rather quaint. It is ironic that this location may go from 'pre-fixed-signals' directly to something like ERTMS.

Dai Corner

Established Member
How about the pan-down / pan-up shenanigans near Steventon on the GWML?

JHurcum

Seeing trains 'flagged' across Tal-Y-Cafn level crossing by the keeper, who also has to swing the gates manually, seems rather quaint. It is ironic that this location may go from 'pre-fixed-signals' directly to something like ERTMS.

I shall go check that out soon thank you! It is reasonably close and should make for some half decent pictures!

Shimbleshanks

I think the old luggage traverser at Brockenhurst is still there, but probably not actually used now. It was a way of getting barrows from one platform to another without using lifts, probably interlocked with the signalling?

JHurcum

I think the old luggage traverser at Brockenhurst is still there, but probably not actually used now. It was a way of getting barrows from one platform to another without using lifts, probably interlocked with the signalling?

Yes I do beleive I have noticed it still in place, think it provides wheelchair access to platforms now rather than luggage

infobleep

Veteran Member
I don't know if this counts but there is a goods train from Ardingly to Haywards Heath on certain weekday mornings. Once at Haywards Heath I seem to think the diseal locomotive is detached and then runs round to the front of the train before being attached and heading north.

Whilst this might be common in some freight yards, I'd have thought it less common at a passenger station.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
I don't know if this counts but there is a goods train from Ardingly to Haywards Heath on certain weekday mornings. Once at Haywards Heath I seem to think the diseal locomotive is detached and then runs round to the front of the train before being attached and heading north.

Whilst this might be common in some freight yards, I'd have thought it less common at a passenger station.
Happens at Liskeard when the Moorswater cement runs.

John Webb

Established Member
Here's a view of this oddity from 2012:
Platform swing bridge

© Copyright Mat Tuck and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
It was interlocked with the signalling, by the way.

The station seems to have been under renovation in 2016:
Brockenhurst railway station

© Copyright Jaggery and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
which is when, I assume, lifts were installed as mentioned by Bletchleyite in his post.
(Click on the photos to go to the larger originals on the Geograph website.)

xotGD

Established Member
DMUs in GWR and Scotrail liveries standing side by side in the platforms at Leeds. Possibly even coupled together on the same service.

Here's a view of this oddity from 2012:
Platform swing bridge

© Copyright Mat Tuck and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
It was interlocked with the signalling, by the way.

The station seems to have been under renovation in 2016:
Brockenhurst railway station

© Copyright Jaggery and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
which is when, I assume, lifts were installed as mentioned by Bletchleyite in his post.
(Click on the photos to go to the larger originals on the Geograph website.)

There's still a few stations on the network without disabled access to both platforms, having only a footbridge with stairs. I've often wondered about a solution like this, for 'lightly' used lines.

Modern designs of footbridges with lifts are, in my opinion, universally unsightly spoiling the look and feel of rural stations in particular. I'd thought of something that rose from ground level.

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
Hi All

So, I love railway oddities, mostly historical ones, such as Newhaven Marine or 'Charilie' BR's last Shunting Horse for example. Recently I've been thinking how cool it would have been to have seen these things in action. Now I know there is nothing quite as odd as horse powered traction used today on our Rail Network but I was wondering what information people have for strange railway happenings on the UK Network that can be witnessed today. Thanks in advance!

Not quite the national rail network but if you want to travel by horse power on rails......
http://www.douglashorsetramway.im/

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Birkbeck always seems like a rural backwater with its single line line and single platform despite being in London.

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
I always thought of the Water Street entrance to Liverpool James Street as being a bit of an oddity, in it being a sloped entrance to a deep level station.

sw1ller

Established Member
Would a DMU with 3 different companies liveries count? If so, it’s worth a look at 175107 with its TfW exterior, ATW interior and FNW pink trim inside beneath the windows. Looks lovely.

Would a DMU with 3 different companies liveries count? If so, it’s worth a look at 175107 with its TfW exterior, ATW interior and FNW pink trim inside beneath the windows. Looks lovely.
Reminds me of a 158 I saw once in Regional Railways livery, Transpennine branding on a GWR service.

Not that easy to see but the use of Victorian token machines / signalling equipment on the Heart of Wales line for example is amazing in this modern age.

matchmaker

Established Member
Not that easy to see but the use of Victorian token machines / signalling equipment on the Heart of Wales line for example is amazing in this modern age.
Far, far rarer is the use of tablet (rather than key token) instruments on the Stranraer line. Last ones on national rail.

Status
Not open for further replies.