• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Weirdest Oddities Still on the UK Network?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kite159

Veteran Member
How about all the places where trains reverse at intermediate stops which aren't junctions as such (only having two adjacent stations)?

The likes of Bere Alston, Coombe Junction Halt (a particularly odd example because most trains reverse just outside the station), Fort William... You could even include fairly major stations like Swansea in the list.

Castleford doesn't quite fit the definition (even for passenger services, it has three adjacent stations; Woodlesford, Normanton and Glasshoughton), but all trains reverse there despite the fact that the line continues to Sherburn-in-Elmet and Selby... Are there any other stations where all trains reverse/terminate despite there being an extant line that connects to open passenger stations beyond?

Chathill ;)

A Challenge

Established Member
How about all the places where trains reverse at intermediate stops which aren't junctions as such (only having two adjacent stations)?
Haselmere, Portsmouth and Southsea, Bournemouth, Poole, Frome (unless you count the Westbury Avoider), Weston-super-Mare, Moreton-in-Marsh, Great Malvern and Corby to name a few, I'm sure there must be many more.

Iskra

Established Member
I'm going to nominate Pacers as a weird oddity on the UK network. I've never seen anything like them anywhere else. They are novel and endangered.

Amlag

The Railway Goldfish pond with surrounding garden at the west end of the Up platform at Totnes.

Amlag

The little library in the small waiting room at Yeoford station on the former Plymouth to Waterloo main line now only served by Barnstaple line trains.

6Gman

Established Member
Go to Barrhill, the instruments are in an office on the platform, not in the box

I seem to recall some years ago a passing loop (Muir of Ord?) where the instruments were in two locations at opposite ends of the platform and the signalman cycled from one to the other as our train sat in the loop.

:D

6Gman

Established Member
Are there any stations where road vehicles still drive onto the platforms? Euston maybe?

Llandudno. Taxis park between the platforms.

(Actually, has that stopped following the station ... er ... rebuilding.)

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I seem to recall some years ago a passing loop (Muir of Ord?) where the instruments were in two locations at opposite ends of the platform and the signalman cycled from one to the other as our train sat in the loop.

I'm not sure about Muir of Ord, but that was certainly the case at Nairn until that part of the line was resignalled.

EDIT - https://www.flickr.com/photos/117648855@N07/15777942286
(Link to photograph of Nairn with signalman cycling along the platform)

6Gman

Established Member
The Railway Goldfish pond with surrounding garden at the west end of the Up platform at Totnes.

I'm assuming the goldfish pond within the station buffet at Coventry has long gone?

Killingworth

Established Member
Back in the early 80s we were travelling through the mists on a train from Fort William to Crianlarich with windows steamed up and nothing to see when we stopped in what seemed to be the middle of nowhere.

Where are we? Youngest spotted something. We're at Portaloo! It was probably Corrour waiting to pass a train in the opposite direction, or might have been Rannoch Moor.

mirodo

Clitheroe - everything reverses there, with the exception of a couple of trains extended through to Hellifield on Sunday.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
View attachment 57644 The X1 bus destinations being shown on the PIS at Peterborough has been mentioned before on the forum but it was interesting to also see Swaffham which sadly will never ever see a train service again (Dereham does of course still have a rail link to Wymondham courtesy of the MNR!)

I think Pickering shows up at York Station for theCoastliner Bus.?

Spartacus

Established Member
I'm going to nominate Pacers as a weird oddity on the UK network. I've never seen anything like them anywhere else. They are novel and endangered.

You'd be surprised, look up Czech Class 810 and rebuilt 812.

WestRiding

Why doesn't that apply to the track too?
Because the signals basically are interlocked with the in-use signals on the mainline, if one on the loop fails, it could affect the working of the mainline signals, and Holmes LC etc

Esker-pades

Established Member
Haselmere, Portsmouth and Southsea, Bournemouth, Poole, Frome (unless you count the Westbury Avoider), Weston-super-Mare, Moreton-in-Marsh, Great Malvern and Corby to name a few, I'm sure there must be many more.
But those are seperate services. I thought it referred to a single service, rather than a train terminating and then forming another service.

mallard

Established Member
Possibly it did, we would need @mallard to confirm.

If I understand the query... I was referring to stations where all (passenger) trains terminate/reverse. I think most of those stations do have "through" services, even if they're very infrequent as with Corby.

Spartacus

Established Member
They look interesting. Are they still in service?

I bet the chassis wasn't based on that of a freight wagon though!

Heaven knows what they're based on, but they can only do 50mph. The suspension looks quite similar to a pacer's especially the pre-production prototypes, and as far as I know they're still in service.

Last edited:

headshot119

Established Member
Darsham level crossing is slightly odd. In the up direction it is worked as if it was an AOCL+B, with stop board, red white flashing light and obligation to check the crossing. In the down direction its a normal AHB.

It's an AHBC crossing, there's nothing odd about it really

EveningStar

Was standard Highland Railway practice to have instruments in the main station building and simple unstaffed boxes at each end of the passing loop. At the expense of a lot of too and fro, this saved on staff, which made a lot of sense for an impoverished railway with infrequent trains and, apparently, a causal attitude to timekeeping.

Articles for Achnasheen West https://signalbox.org/gallery/sc/achnasheenwest.php and East https://signalbox.org/gallery/sc/achnasheeneast.php.

I'm not sure about Muir of Ord, but that was certainly the case at Nairn until that part of the line was resignalled.

EDIT - https://www.flickr.com/photos/117648855@N07/15777942286 (Link to photograph of Nairn with signalman cycling along the platform)

Nairn West and East are both listed and the buildings are, I believe, the last serving Highland 'pair'.

Belperpete

Established Member
Getting back to UK oddities, at Red Cow Crossing in Exeter can pedestrians still walk across the crossing when the barriers are down? This used to be controlled by an attendant, with special indicators so the attendant can see which line a train is coming on. You can see the walking route around the barriers, and the special indicators here:
http://abcrailwayguide.uk/red-cow-private-level-crossing-devon#.XDSm5lz7TIU

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Getting back to UK oddities, at Red Cow Crossing in Exeter can pedestrians still walk across the crossing when the barriers are down? This used to be controlled by an attendant, with special indicators so the attendant can see which line a train is coming on. You can see the walking route around the barriers, and the special indicators here:
http://abcrailwayguide.uk/red-cow-private-level-crossing-devon#.XDSm5lz7TIU
Yes that's absolutely still the case. The board which says '5U' for example (platform 5 Up) is also accompanied by a very satisfying "Dring!" noise from a loud bell when the numbers come up.

Another nice little local oddity is the words 'TOPSHAM' spelled out in topiary on Topsham station opposite the disused signal box (my Grandmother actually used to tend to it years ago.

xotGD

Established Member
At Bingley there is a model of a narrowboat in the station garden.

Change here for the 5 Rise Locks.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
There's one of the few remaining coal tax obelisks just London side of Swanley on the down line. Its just outside the boundary fence but visible from the train. I think there is one other in North London?

Status
Not open for further replies.