• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Weirdest Oddities Still on the UK Network?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
Thanks.

In that case, it's not just a bizarre situation but a sublime one; there's a single-track line with a single platform in a massively built-up area, but there's another platform opposite with another mode of transport there - a tram, which is something much smaller than a train - but there's a fence in the way, so, to reach this other platform, you have to exit the station, go under the bridge (which carries both lines west) and enter the station on the other side, from which you can see the platform you came from on the other side of the fence?

Patently ludicrous.

For those who don't know the area, Birkbeck was opened as a double track (on an existing line) station in the 1920s, and singled in the 1970s.

Neither it, nor IIRC the tram stop, are particularly well used, and I doubt there is much interchange traffic. That being so, do you have an economical solution?

tsr

Established Member
Deal is the only place (I think!) where class 395 Javelins are signalled by semaphores.

On a similar theme, I should imagine Littlehampton is the only place where 700s are regularly semaphore signalled. One of the last for any GTR stock really, since the East Coastway was largely modernised.

iantherev

Stations which have active post boxes on the platforms (i.e. paid side) - Pangbourne up, for example. I don't know of others off-hand. Post collectors are in theory in need of tickets/permits to travel - perhaps those on the relevant rounds do have them?

Axminster has one - it was my nearest post box if I wanted anything collected after 09:00.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Other than the Grove Park to Bromley North shuttle during peak hours does any other service have a driver rostered to both ends.?

tsr

Established Member
Other than the Grove Park to Bromley North shuttle during peak hours does any other service have a driver rostered to both ends.?

On the Tube, the Waterloo & City Line and (if I recall correctly) the Victoria Line.

Used to be a deliberate diagramming policy for certain services turning round at London Bridge too.

Dren Ahmeti

On a similar theme, I should imagine Littlehampton is the only place where 700s are regularly semaphore signalled. One of the last for any GTR stock really, since the East Coastway was largely modernised.
When the 80x’s visit the Worcester stations, or even run down to Penzance, they get a nice bit of semaphore action!

Steptoe

IMG_20180327_153734.jpg The X1 bus destinations being shown on the PIS at Peterborough has been mentioned before on the forum but it was interesting to also see Swaffham which sadly will never ever see a train service again (Dereham does of course still have a rail link to Wymondham courtesy of the MNR!)

craigybagel

Established Member

I believe the Terminal 1/2/3 - Terminal 4 shuttle on Heathrow Connect worked that way. Not sure if it's still the case under TfL since the pattern seems to have been changed. Seemingly it took too long to both change ends and reboot APT on those services in the tight turnaround time.

bearhugger

Stations which have active post boxes on the platforms (i.e. paid side) - Pangbourne up, for example. I don't know of others off-hand. Post collectors are in theory in need of tickets/permits to travel - perhaps those on the relevant rounds do have them?
Middlesbrough Station has a active georgian postbox on the concourse, but there are no barriers at the station.

Wouldn't a platform ticket do? I'd imagine that they must have some sort of long-term version of one.

I'm sure there will be a standing instruction to the gateline staff to allow access on production of the postbox key or similar? There must be some arrangement for deliveries to retail units on the platforms.
Whoever collects the post from the box or delivers to retail units should be in Royal Mail uniform and have Royal Mail ID on them, it's **usually** the same person everyday too. I imagine that for the few boxes that are on the paid side of barriers it would depend on local arrangements - they may just need to be allowed through by gateline staff or have a certain type of pass to allow them through.

WestRiding

That piece of rusted track is still on the track diagrams but it has a permanent 'SHUT' in that signal birth, as seen below:

View attachment 57624
Masborough Loop, it is not technically closed, and has been under a T3 since 2006, that never got given back. I suppose if the FOCs demanded it, then NR would have to get it back upto standard. Because it is still part of the infrastructure, all signals on it have to be maintained.

talltim

Established Member
Masborough Loop, it is not technically closed, and has been under a T3 since 2006, that never got given back. I suppose if the FOCs demanded it, then NR would have to get it back upto standard. Because it is still part of the infrastructure, all signals on it have to be maintained.
Why doesn't that apply to the track too?

Cosmicismsx

On the Tube, the Waterloo & City Line and (if I recall correctly) the Victoria Line.

Used to be a deliberate diagramming policy for certain services turning round at London Bridge too.

Victoria Line do not operate with a driver in the back, the new driver jumps in the cab as soon as it arrives at Brixton/Walthamstow.

Spartacus

Established Member
It's been cleared recently IIRC, at least some of it. It would be a good place to allow tripling for either freight or slow services to move out of the way of fast XC services, as opposed to waiting til it gets to Moorthorpe Goods Loop

i'm sure I've heard something about it being brought back, though it's questionable what use it would have on it's own as the stoppers are over at Central at that point and most freight still on the old road. I've said for a long time that the old formations around Sheffield need reinstating as much as possible, one late train so easily knocks onto others.

Cosmicismsx

Are there any stations where road vehicles still drive onto the platforms? Euston maybe?
Brighton and Paddington could still receive cars into the station if some bollards were removed. Brighton still has the tarmac and road markings down!

TheEdge

Established Member
Darsham level crossing is slightly odd. In the up direction it is worked as if it was an AOCL+B, with stop board, red white flashing light and obligation to check the crossing. In the down direction its a normal AHB.

_toommm_

Established Member
i'm sure I've heard something about it being brought back, though it's questionable what use it would have on it's own as the stoppers are over at Central at that point and most freight still on the old road. I've said for a long time that the old formations around Sheffield need reinstating as much as possible, one late train so easily knocks onto others.

There's enough room for most of the way to Swinton for a slow line to be constructed IIRC

mallard

Established Member
How about all the places where trains reverse at intermediate stops which aren't junctions as such (only having two adjacent stations)?

The likes of Bere Alston, Coombe Junction Halt (a particularly odd example because most trains reverse just outside the station), Fort William... You could even include fairly major stations like Swansea in the list.

Castleford doesn't quite fit the definition (even for passenger services, it has three adjacent stations; Woodlesford, Normanton and Glasshoughton), but all trains reverse there despite the fact that the line continues to Sherburn-in-Elmet and Selby... Are there any other stations where all trains reverse/terminate despite there being an extant line that connects to open passenger stations beyond?

Esker-pades

Established Member
How about all the places where trains reverse at intermediate stops which aren't junctions as such (only having two adjacent stations)?

The likes of Bere Alston, Coombe Junction Halt (a particularly odd example because most trains reverse just outside the station), Fort William... You could even include fairly major stations like Swansea in the list.

Castleford doesn't quite fit the definition (even for passenger services, it has three adjacent stations; Woodlesford, Normanton and Glasshoughton), but all trains reverse there despite the fact that the line continues to Sherburn-in-Elmet and Selby... Are there any other stations where all trains reverse/terminate despite there being an extant line that connects to open passenger stations beyond?
Georgemas Junction (Inverness to Thurso), Bourne End (Maidenhead to Marlow), Battersby (Whitby to Middlesbrough), Carmarthen, Aldershot (Ascot to Guildford).

Rail Ranger

Ellesmere Port is a bit like Castleford in that all trains reverse there except that they reverse from both directions.

Status
Not open for further replies.