• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Weirdest things you have seen on a bus route

Status
Not open for further replies.

DC21

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/glasgow_and_west/6457907.stm

Bus driver in Lanarkshire helped a friend move a cooker taking a detour from the route. Coakley buses it was at the time.

A bus driver took passengers on a detour to deliver and unload a cooker and a chest of drawers for friends.
The items were loaded into the space reserved for prams on the Glasgow to Wishaw service run by Coakley buses.

Passenger Margaret Dymond, 28, said she was stunned and took pictures of the goods which were unloaded during a 10-minute detour in Motherwell.

Bus firm owner Eddie Coakley said the Polish bus driver had been given a warning and lost his bonus.

"It shouldn't have happened," Mr Coakley said.

"We brought in an interpreter who spoke to the Polish driver and explained that his behaviour was not acceptable."

The driver made the detour at about 1000 GMT on Monday.

Ms Dymond, a mother-of-four, from Viewpark, Lanarkshire, captured the scene on her mobile phone.

"There was a couple on the bus with a pushchair and a young child and they were having a job getting past," she said.

"That was bad enough but I was stunned when the driver took a right turn off the route and actually took them right to the door of the flat."

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Class45

What worries me is that the bus company needed an interpreter to give their driver a bollocking.

MotCO

Established Member
On the bus of an independent operator right now, and the driver has just pulled over at a fried chicken shop, asks us to give him two minutes, runs inside and comes out with a couple of bags! :D

Did he share anything with you?

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
What worries me is that the bus company needed an interpreter to give their driver a bollocking.
Why would that worry you? Surely if a driver was disciplined, it's in the best interests of all parties that everyone involved understands the actions that are being taken.

peterblue

Why would that worry you? Surely if a driver was disciplined, it's in the best interests of all parties that everyone involved understands the actions that are being taken.

It's worrying that someone is in a public facing role with a command of English poor enough to require an interpreter.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
It's worrying that someone is in a public facing role with a command of English poor enough to require an interpreter.
No it isn't. Someone might have a good enough grasp of everyday English to get by, but when it comes to an "official" situation they may wish to have someone to translate more complicated terms. It's no different to someone requiring legal representation if they're accused of a crime.

Trackman

Established Member
Mid/late 70's No.8 bus going into Manchester.
Driver announced he was going to the Chinese chippy as he didn't the like food in the canteen and wouldn't be a moment. It's still there! - The 'Slow Boat' M6 5BZ.
Quick Q for Mancunians- where would the terminating point be then? I remember actually seeing the staff canteen or 'staff restaurant' as they branded it.

Last edited:

Jordan Adam

Established Member
A number of years ago i saw First Aberdeen Volvo B10BLE 62139 stop outside the William Hill bookies at Adelphi on Union Street in Aberdeen where the driver then got out and went inside presumably to place a bet. I think this was around the time Aberdeen won the Scottish League Cup.

SSmith2009

A number of years ago i saw First Aberdeen Volvo B10BLE 62139 stop outside the William Hill bookies at Adelphi on Union Street in Aberdeen where the driver then got out and went inside presumably to place a bet. I think this was around the time Aberdeen won the Scottish League Cup.
One of my local routes has a timing point (often a waiting point of a good 5 mins) and a particular driver goes over to Ladbrookes to do his betting

Status
Not open for further replies.