• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Welcome to Scotland! (Liam Sumpter to take on new Network Rail Scotland role)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mingulay

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news...d-of-new-network-rail-scotland-boss/?ref=ebln
Liam Sumpter, who will take on the newly-created role of chief operating officer next spring, was previously forced to apologise after “rude” exchanges with customers on social media.

Mr Sumpter will take up his new role at a time of mounting concern over Scotland’s railways, with Network Rail widely blamed for causing delays and cancellations through failures in infrastructure.

Douglas Stewart, associate committee member at Rail Action Group East of Scotland, said customers and wider stakeholders would be “gravely concerned about the appointment of Sumpter to such an important role”.

Seen better introductions

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
My own view is give him a chance - he's not even sat down yet!

Last edited by a moderator:

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member
I do not profess to know anything about Mr Sumpter's management abilities but given his "performances" on Northern's YouTube channel he should avoid appearing in front of cameras as much as possible. He is singularly lacking in any sort of charisma so comes across as robotic, disinterested even. He needs a media-savvy PR assistant.

Mingulay

Here is some detail from the article linked to to comply with the forum rules:

My own view is give him a chance - he's not even sat down yet!

For sure he deserves a chance to make his mark. But I hope he has learnt the lesson from his past experiences , that in his position he cannot attack the travelling public, who are the ultimate customer . Rail is an industry fraught with Customer dissatisfaction and expectation and its an industry in the dock in the court of public opinion, particularly Network Rail . So if he cant cope with criticism however ill informed he feels it is, I would suggest he is the wrong job.

Rob Shorthouse was a good spokesperson for Scotrail, media savvy , customer friendly . I he does not have those skills and he cant change his style , he wont have a great experience in Scotland.

Macwomble

My view is good riddance. Scotland are welcome to him and with a bit of luck he will poach some of the remainder of Northern's management team.

NO THANK YOU!!

The last thing we need in Scotland are more of Northern's cast offs. IMO Scotrail has gone downhill since Alex Hynes appeared on the scene, and we all know where he came from.

Status
Not open for further replies.