• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Well Done Virgin East Coast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Essexman

Established Member
I was travelling from Bridlington to London today and this morning received an email from Virgin East Coast to say that the train I was booked on from Doncaster was borrowed from East Midlands Trains and would have reduced catering & no Wi-Fi. They gave me the option to use an earlier or later train with my advance ticket if I wished.

My meeting finished early so I was very glad to be able to get the train an hour earlier and enjoy an excellent macaroni cheese lunch. The train manager didn’t know anything about it but allowed me to travel when I showed him the email before boarding.

Well done Virgin East Coast.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

_toommm_

Established Member
This is quite good comparative to a lot of the complaints I’ve seen on VTEC Twitter!

Guessing those people didn’t book direct, nor have an advance ticket so there was no way for VTEC to predict when they were intending to travel.

SaveECRewards

This is quite good comparative to a lot of the complaints I’ve seen on VTEC Twitter!

Guessing those people didn’t book direct, nor have an advance ticket so there was no way for VTEC to predict when they were intending to travel.

It's inconsistent. I've booked direct and never received the EMT substitution email but other times people have.

I usually get sent a list in the morning from a guard, it lists the shortforms (either due to a carriage out for maintenance ofr replaced with an EMT set that has 8 carriages), catering issues and accessible toilet issues. If I have time I'll Tweet these out as people have a right to know if their booked train will have any issues.

Even when the catering issues are known about in advance it i very rare that VTEC update the section on the disruptions page dedicated to catering issues and I've never heard of an email being sent out to those who booked direct solely for catering issues and sometimes it affects some long journeys (e.g. ABD-KGX had no hot catering yesterday).

So we know they have the means to send the email out. This should be sent out for any sort of issue that'll affect the onboard experience. For example with a catering issue even if they won't let you switch train you can know to stock up on food before boarding. For those who don't book direct we should at least have accurate info on the service status page and the message on the info screens should be updated.

_toommm_

Established Member
It's inconsistent. I've booked direct and never received the EMT substitution email but other times people have.

I usually get sent a list in the morning from a guard, it lists the shortforms (either due to a carriage out for maintenance ofr replaced with an EMT set that has 8 carriages), catering issues and accessible toilet issues. If I have time I'll Tweet these out as people have a right to know if their booked train will have any issues.

Even when the catering issues are known about in advance it i very rare that VTEC update the section on the disruptions page dedicated to catering issues and I've never heard of an email being sent out to those who booked direct solely for catering issues and sometimes it affects some long journeys (e.g. ABD-KGX had no hot catering yesterday).

So we know they have the means to send the email out. This should be sent out for any sort of issue that'll affect the onboard experience. For example with a catering issue even if they won't let you switch train you can know to stock up on food before boarding. For those who don't book direct we should at least have accurate info on the service status page and the message on the info screens should be updated.

Most definitely - or at the very least for it to be put on Twitter, with, as you say, the ability to switch trains either side if possible. Even the thought of Kings Cross to Doncaster with no catering is a meh thought to me.

SaveECRewards

Most definitely - or at the very least for it to be put on Twitter, with, as you say, the ability to switch trains either side if possible. Even the thought of Kings Cross to Doncaster with no catering is a meh thought to me.

Today in my #CateringLottery Tweet there's kitchen issues with two sets today. One is the EMT set that @Essexman got yesterday (operating today mainly on Hull/Leeds routes) and the other is a VTEC HST that also had issues yesterday. The VTEC set is again operating long routes where people would definitely want to be warned before boarding to make alternative arrangements.
1S01 06:22 NCL to EDB
1E07 08:30 EDB to KGX
1S20 14:00 KGX to ABD

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
In response to your question about having someone to disseminate the information, if you are already doing it for them for free, why would they want to spend money and employ someone else to do it. ;)

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I think the Maccaroni cheese gives away the situation. Perhaps only first class passengers get such an email. I certainly never have in scum class. We just have to lump it. Same if a carriage is knocked out or a toilet locked out. We just get on with it.

peri

I was traveling day return standard Hull to Norwich few weeks back and they sent me a voucher for a hot drink and a piece of cake. I only travel Virgin through their special offers so perhaps they are targeting the occasional leisure user.

RAPC

Assuming the macaroni lunch was part of a 1st class service? If that is the case, then I applaud them for looking after a premium passenger where their inclusive service would be impacted. Glad it helped your plans and an earlier train.

SaveECRewards

In response to your question about having someone to disseminate the information, if you are already doing it for them for free, why would they want to spend money and employ someone else to do it. ;)
That have 100x the followers I do and already employ a team to Tweet out news of the royal wedding, banter and occasional train related stuff :) Today they never even mentioned a cancellation on Twitter!

I was traveling day return standard Hull to Norwich few weeks back and they sent me a voucher for a hot drink and a piece of cake. I only travel Virgin through their special offers so perhaps they are targeting the occasional leisure user.
Correct! VTEC only seems to target the occasional leisure user, frequent travellers get nothing. It helps explain a lot of the negative feeling. Those who travel regularly would more likely forgive the occasional failing if they knew they'd be getting the occasional free ticket or other reward to make up for it.
Assuming the macaroni lunch was part of a 1st class service? If that is the case, then I applaud them for looking after a premium passenger where their inclusive service would be impacted. Glad it helped your plans and an earlier train.
All the times I've been affected with set swaps or catering issues I've been in first class, I normally only travel standard for short trips (e.g. KGX-PBO, NCL-YRK) or if taking a bike on an HST (so I can sit close to the guards van for easy exit).

Essexman

Established Member

Yes first class, but advance tickets each way not much more expensive than flexible standard. And the macaroni cheese was most enjoyable.

Starmill

Veteran Member
I think the Maccaroni cheese gives away the situation. Perhaps only first class passengers get such an email. I certainly never have in scum class. We just have to lump it. Same if a carriage is knocked out or a toilet locked out. We just get on with it.
Why would you want an email in advance telling you that one of the toilets is locked out? What difference is that going to make to your life?

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Why would you want an email in advance telling you that one of the toilets is locked out? What difference is that going to make to your life?

Rather obviously I might want a wee and sadly once one toilet is locked out the others soon fill up. This is exacerbated in scum class as there are more of us trying to use the same facilities.

Clearly at 0600 and fresh of the depot this isnt an issue but by 1800 and two trips to Newcastle and back it might be. It would be nice to know even if it enables you to make sure you use the facilities at the station before you set off

Last edited:

Starmill

Veteran Member
Rather obviously I might want a wee and sadly once one toilet is locked out the others soon fill up. This is exacerbated in scum class as there are more of us trying to use the same facilities.
I call rubbish. There are more toilets in Standard Class than there are in First Class. The ratio is about the same.

Are you seriously telling me that just because one toilet out of the many is locked out you'd like an email and to be offered travel on the train before? It's very, very unlikely that you will get stuck with no toilets available on a 225 or HST with 9 coaches.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I call rubbish. There are more toilets in Standard Class than there are in First Class.

Are you seriously telling me that just because one toilet out of the many is locked out you'd like an email and to be offered travel on the train before? It's very, very unlikely that you will get stuck with no toilets available on a 225 or HST with 9 coaches.

No - just that us mere plebs would never get an email apologizing for having a reduced service or an offer to travel on another service because of that minor service change.

Starmill

Veteran Member
This thread is about Virgin Trains East Coast's use of an email alert to advise customers of the uncomfortable seats, dated interior, and reduced catering facilities on one of their sets. You will note that all of these factors affect both first and standard class passengers on that train. The email is sent to people with both first and standard class tickets. It is often not sent at all though from what I've seen.

As usual you are doing nothing but having a whinge about people in First Class, even though this thread has got nothing to to with First Class and the OP did not even mention it. Any oppourtunity for you make your jealous, ribbing classist comments!

SaveECRewards

No - just that us mere plebs would never get an email apologizing for having a reduced service or an offer to travel on another service because of that minor service change.
Don't worry like I say many times regular first class passengers rarely get any acknowledgement through official channels and I've never heard in advance when booking direct if there's a change in service.

There has been quite a few instances lately where toilets have started to get blocked enroute. Last time I was on-board in first class two of the three toilets were out of service.

I think the following information should be made available on the website, Twitter and emailed to those who've booked direct and reserved on that service:
  • Accessible toilet issues (on mk4s there's only one per class and on mk3s one per train so notification should be given)
  • WiFi issues (whether it's an outage or a swap to another operator set meaning the free codes won't work and neither will BEAM)
  • Catering issues (the kitchen issues are known in advance, so passengers should be told)
  • Shortforms (in case you're booked in the missing carriage)
  • Any other reason known about in advance that reservations are missing
They have this information and they have the channels to give this information out. Even if they don't let people change trains it let's people prepare. A reminder about no WiFi might remind someone to bring a book or download content before boarding, catering issues may increase sales at the local Greggs as people buy before boarding, shortforms/missing reservations will give someone a heads up so they don't go looking for their seat just to find it's not reserved and by that point everyone else has taken the seats.

Of course if someone needs an accessible toilet they should always be allowed to move to a train with a functioning one.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
even though this thread has got nothing to to with First Class and the OP did not even mention it. Any oppourtunity for you make your jealous, ribbing classist comments!

Can you let me know where I can obtain my portion of truffle mac ‘n’ cheese which is a rich and creamy macaroni cheese served with a luxurious aromatic truffle and herb crumb topping if I travel in second class? Do I pop to the buffet or will the trolley bring it to me?

I think the following information should be made available on the website, Twitter and emailed to those who've booked direct and reserved on that service:
  • Accessible toilet issues (on mk4s there's only one per class and on mk3s one per train so notification should be given)
  • WiFi issues (whether it's an outage or a swap to another operator set meaning the free codes won't work and neither will BEAM)
  • Catering issues (the kitchen issues are known in advance, so passengers should be told)
  • Shortforms (in case you're booked in the missing carriage)
  • Any other reason known about in advance that reservations are missing
They have this information and they have the channels to give this information out. Even if they don't let people change trains it let's people prepare. A reminder about no WiFi might remind someone to bring a book or download content before boarding, catering issues may increase sales at the local Greggs as people buy before boarding, shortforms/missing reservations will give someone a heads up so they don't go looking for their seat just to find it's not reserved and by that point everyone else has taken the seats.

Of course if someone needs an accessible toilet they should always be allowed to move to a train with a functioning one.

I think i agree with accessible toilets (as someone needing one of those may be unable to use other facilities on the train) wifi and catering issues. Not sure about short forms unless the replacement train is so full that you cant be accommodated.

SaveECRewards

Can you let me know where I can obtain my portion of truffle mac ‘n’ cheese which is a rich and creamy macaroni cheese served with a luxurious aromatic truffle and herb crumb topping if I travel in second class? Do I pop to the buffet or will the trolley bring it to me?
In the days before it was complimentary you could order food from the so called 'first class at seat' menu from the buffet in standard. Due to NXEC logic it was actually cheaper to buy it in standard at the buffet but it wasn't often promoted. They had special plastic trays and cutlery to serve it in wereas in first it was served on proper plates. This was on trains with no restaurant, on a restaurant train you could dine in the restaurant car on a standard ticket.

I think i agree with accessible toilets (as someone needing one of those may be unable to use other facilities on the train) wifi and catering issues. Not sure about short forms unless the replacement train is so full that you cant be accommodated.

If VTEC know about it then they should tell you about it if it's a carriage that affects you. Otherwise while you waste your time looking for your own carriage everyone without reservations has grabbed all the seats

SaveECRewards

They don't always post it on the website. Even though on the disruptions page there's a dedicated section on catering it often is lying saying no known issues. Sometimes I get sent a list of trains with kitchen failures by a guard in the morning, this means VTEC knows about it but chooses not to say it.

The other issues do usually appear on the website, but not always. They're now rarely tweeted out and even rarer someone who booked direct to get an email/text.

It would be handy if the disruption page also separated out the different issues.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
There are more toilets in Standard Class than there are in First Class. The ratio is about the same.

No it isn't. Each EC carriage has one toilet. A first class carriage has pretty much half the seats of a standard class one.

As for maintenance, I travelled back in first class on Sunday. Two of the three carriages had failed air conditioning. It's embarrassing.

Chrism20

Established Member
I call rubbish. There are more toilets in Standard Class than there are in First Class. The ratio is about the same.

On Monday 6th November last year I would have loved an email telling me that the 1000 service was going to leave Edinburgh with three (3) functioning toilets as I would not have boarded the train.

What followed was ridiculous. A botched attempt to refill the toilets during a “Comfort break” at Newcastle did not work and only managed to fill two of the toilets, however one could not be used due to no water getting to the sink.

Significant delays due to a faulty level crossing around Newark followed by a trespass incident at Holloway resulted in the guard having to request that the train which was sitting just outside Stevenage was allowed to proceed onto the platform so that passengers could alight and use the station toilets as there was by this time no toilet roll in the one remaining functional toilet.

We eventually limped into Kings Cross over two hours late.

If this was last October I’d have agreed that the suggestion was ridiculous, following that journey I completely disagree.

Status
Not open for further replies.