• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Well whats your excuse......?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beaker

Established Member
Well whats your excuse for not being part of a preserved line?
The amount of people who come up with the lamest excuses is amazing.

It seems only a few people actualy work on Preserved railways, but lots moan about the lack of anything decent at local galas!!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlexS

Established Member
I'm technically a trainee porter at the Great Central.

I can see why cleaning toilets for no money whatsoever is not some peoples cup of tea though - it was the first thing I was warned about by the rostering chap when I signed up the other day!

Established Member
Im a general dogs body at the ekr

Plus a help out at a few miniature railways

Beaker

Established Member
AlexS said:

I can see why cleaning toilets for no money whatsoever is not some peoples cup of tea though - it was the first thing I was warned about by the rostering chap when I signed up the other day!

Cleaning Bogs, welll Cooooool :lol: , stephen there is a railway a bit closer to poole ;)

Guinness

Established Member
Porter at GCR basically emptying bins (I've found some Gloves Nick ;)), dispatching trains and sitting in the SMO.

My next move is to go in TTI having had some past experience been an assistant.

Although GCR isn't my local it's still a friendly working atmosphere and is always worth travelling to every time. :) The easiest to get to would be ELR at Bury and hopefully I may get Dirty with some diesels there. ;)

Lewisham2221

Established Member
Chaz said:
Porter at GCR basically emptying bins (I've found some Gloves Nick ;)), dispatching trains and sitting in the SMO.

My next move is to go in TTI having had some past experience been an assistant.

Although GCR isn't my local it's still a friendly working atmosphere and is always worth travelling to every time. :) The easiest to get to would be ELR at Bury and hopefully I may get Dirty with some diesels there. ;)

Your closest is actually CVR isn't it?

Nick

I do 3 jobs currently at Preserved Railways, firstly I'm a Trainee Travelling Ticket Inspector at the GCR and secondly a Porter at Loughborough Central (this involves dispatching and keeping the station clean). I've also recently got involved with the northen section of the GCR which is indeed nearer to me in their newly formed diesel group and can usually be found on D7629 which is almost servicable, I've spent my last two weekends helping remove Cylinder No6 cleaning it up and replacing it's liner seals and then helping all put it together again. The hope is to have all three of our diesels in service by the end of the year, these are D7629 (25/2), 47765 and 56097 (which moved for the first time in preservation at the GCRN on Saturday).

Lewisham2221

Established Member
AlexS said:

*loses track of how many members are GCR volunteers*

Beaker

Established Member
Its amazing how many people are TTIs or Porters , very strange indeed , each to there own or do you have to go that way to be a guard?

Each to there own.

Lewisham2221

Established Member
Beaker said:
Its amazing how many people are TTIs or Porters , very strange indeed , each to there own or do you have to go that way to be a guard?

Each to there own.

Thinking about it, it does offer a fairly logical route into becoming a guard, starting off with station duties to get a 'feel' for the railway, moving on to working on the trains, and then on to guard. It also helps younger volunteers get into operational roles on the railway that don't carry the age restrictions of other, safety critical operational roles. Also, unless there's very little that needs doing around the station, having several porters at a time isn't as much of a problem as having 3 people all wanting to be guard on the same train. :)

Nick

Beaker said:

Each to there own.

Guard, need to be 18 though to be one so I thought I might as well do what I can now on the route to being a Guard. Oh, and they all copied me ;)

Besides I'm not just that, one sniff of a Sulzer engine running and I'm there :D

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I'm a member of the Severn Valley Railway, going to sign up for volunteer jobs on Saturday. Hoping to get something good myself.

And my excuse until now? Kidderminster is actually quite some way from here, and it costs me quite a bit to go there on just JSA money. So now my mum has actually paid for my first year's membership, so now I just need to get myself to Kidderminster at the weekends or whenever I can (more often than that hopefully!). And no, there is no other preserved railway near me. The others are the Gwilli Railway, Carmarthen (now THAT is a trek to get to!), the Dean Forest Railway (again, quite a trek to get to) and the Llangollen Railway, which is a mission and a half to get to! If I had my way, I'd work the Leominster and Kington Railway, but that's been shut for over 50 years, with heavy development on the ground in some places on its route.

WSXFan, looking forward to finally joining the preserved railway movement.

Established Member
Beaker said:
stephen there is a railway a bit closer to poole ;)

All the railways round here are boring!!!! Great Cockup, sorry i mean Cockrow is amazing!!!

Established Member
Beaker said:
Coff Swanage is amazing

Swanage is boring!! ive spent to much time there!! it gets boring! At least a cockcrow im allowed to drive steam engines!

D107

The Barry Island Railway have a New Volunteers Day on Sat 27th May between 1000 and 1600. A steam hauled freight is running with brake van rides. All free - even the tea and coffee!

Not convenient for everyone obviously, but if you can get down and feel like getting your hands dirty we would be pleased to see you. There are jobs which don't involve spending hours with a pot of swarfega trying to get clean of course..

The preservation movement needs new volunteers - get involved, you might even enjoy it!

Nick.

For further details go to www.valeofglamorganrailway.co.uk or the railway's yahoo group; http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/barryislandrailway/

Techniquest

Veteran Member
D107 said:
The Barry Island Railway have a New Volunteers Day on Sat 27th May between 1000 and 1600. A steam hauled freight is running with brake van rides. All free - even the tea and coffee!

Not convenient for everyone obviously, but if you can get down and feel like getting your hands dirty we would be pleased to see you. There are jobs which don't involve spending hours with a pot of swarfega trying to get clean of course..

The preservation movement needs new volunteers - get involved, you might even enjoy it!

Nick.

For further details go to www.valeofglamorganrailway.co.uk or the railway's yahoo group; http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/barryislandrailway/

Hi-de-hey!

I am gutted that this is timed at the same time as the Severn Valley one, which I am attending on Saturday. I would have definately gone to the Barry Island one if it was on a different day, but as luck would have it, I can't do both! I admit, I forgot this line was there when I posted my post the other day!

I'll have a look at the VoGR site now since you've got the link there for me to have a look at. Something I've been meaning to do for ages!

If there's another New Volunteer Day any time soon, after this one obviously, give us a bell and I'll try and make it!

Regards,
WSXFan

D107

WSXFan said:
Hi-de-hey!

I am gutted that this is timed at the same time as the Severn Valley one, which I am attending on Saturday. I would have definately gone to the Barry Island one if it was on a different day, but as luck would have it, I can't do both! I admit, I forgot this line was there when I posted my post the other day!

I'll have a look at the VoGR site now since you've got the link there for me to have a look at. Something I've been meaning to do for ages!

If there's another New Volunteer Day any time soon, after this one obviously, give us a bell and I'll try and make it!

Regards,
WSXFan

Yes, will do. The Transport Festival is on June 10th/11th. If you can make it, give us a shout. 14, 73 on a Gatex, 20, GW Pannier, Austerity and up to 3 DMU's running.

Cheers,
Nick.

The Snap

Established Member
I work on the ELR on stations, and also, more often, the diesel department. The July Diesel Gala at the ELR promises our brand new Class 55 Deltic, Class 26 no. 26024, and more. Also, some possible visitors from mainline companies. :p How is that not decent traction!? :o :D :D

Techniquest

Veteran Member
D107 said:
Yes, will do. The Transport Festival is on June 10th/11th. If you can make it, give us a shout. 14, 73 on a Gatex, 20, GW Pannier, Austerity and up to 3 DMU's running.

Cheers,
Nick.

So I see. I'll definately be coming down!

EDIT: When I do come down, look out for someone with a Class 52 Driver Experience tie, no doubt that'll be me.

railpower

I work at the Yeovil Railway Centre it may not be a big operation with a long length of running line but because of that you know almost everyone there and you get to do almost all of the different jobs, ive currently restored wagons, done p/w work, help to service, turn and water mainline locomotives and stock, i am a trainee guard (which is quite a task, as aswell as waving the flag we have to signal the train all the way along the branch), i spend most of my time on restoring 50050 and do alot of other general jobs such as painting, vegetation clearance etc. I havent missed a Sunday since i joined well accept 25th December surly i can be forgiven for that one!!:D

Established Member
railpower said:
I havent missed a Sunday since i joined well accept 25th December surly i can be forgiven for that one!!:D

On christmas day my dad made me phone his mates wife and ask if seb (my dads mate) could give me a lift down thte raiwlay as dad wasnt going as a joke and she went mental u could have heald the phone over the other side of the room and still heard her!!! she didnt half have a go at my dad afterwards!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.