• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wells Harbour Railway

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdeaves

Established Member
This miniature railway claims to run to a published timetable. I may visit this coming week. Their website says timetable 2 will be in operation but... it appears not to be available on the site.

Can anyone advise what TT2 looks like, please? I have a packed week and it would greatly assist planning. Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mattyb1405

You maybe looking at two different railways. Check the Wells Walsingham Railway website out -http://www.wwlr.co.uk/ The harbour railway runs from the town to beach and that will probably be every 15 mins or so and take about 5 mins..

pdeaves

Established Member
The Wells & Walsingham line (also on my plan!) seems to have much clearer information. I am specifically looking for the Wells Harbour line info.

Established Member
Although their website has photos of all sorts of powerful main locomotives, the reality is somewhat different. You must have a packed itinerary if actually knowing the timetable is crucial, the pace of life in North Norfolk isn’t usually like that.

Anyway the website says TT2 runs until 31 August. TT1 looks like the one you need, whatever that is.

pdeaves

Established Member
You must have a packed itinerary if actually knowing the timetable is crucial, the pace of life in North Norfolk isn’t usually like that.

Anyway the website says TT2 runs until 31 August. TT1 looks like the one you need, whatever that is.
Never underestimate the amount of stuff my wife can plan! A lot of it boils down to how long it takes to cycle between places.

Anyway, the question remains with "whatever that is". Does the line actually advertise its timetable? If not, there is little sense in saying there is one.

Established Member
Quite agree it does look rather odd. The only clue I got from the website was it seems they advertise their timetable on a board at the station depending on weather and demand. I’ve seen it but never paid much attention and walked. Enjoy the cycling, a lovely part of the world.

mattyb1405

Yeah Ive seen the website you mean now with a picture or Tornado on?? Does seem strange! Don't believe it is a current website as they list steam engines no longer on the line. It's all diesel steam outlines. From memory I think i think they do weekends only after summer hols but don't hold me to that and normally about 10ish to 5ish every 15 mins.

duffield

Established Member
The website looks somewhat like a concept trial that never got completed as the 'real thing'.
It also seems to be obsessed with earwax.o_O

I had a dig into the website source in case there was a hidden link to the actual timetables but no luck. I'd agree it was probably never completed.

James H

It looks to me like an old website that was hijacked by spammers when the domain registration lapsed.

The spammers use some of the content from the previous website but mix it with spam about earwax etc

pdeaves

Established Member
Thanks all for your comments. We visited the Wells Harbour line and found trains every 20 minutes, so that worked well. By contrast , the Wells and Walsingham line which we also visited is every 90 minutes or so, as advertised. The concern was that the Harbour line would be a low frequency, making the cycle ride back to Cromer potentially problematical. As it happened, everything was fine.

Established Member
Thanks all for your comments. We visited the Wells Harbour line and found trains every 20 minutes, so that worked well. By contrast , the Wells and Walsingham line which we also visited is every 90 minutes or so, as advertised. The concern was that the Harbour line would be a low frequency, making the cycle ride back to Cromer potentially problematical. As it happened, everything was fine.

Glad it all worked out. Two railways I’ve never done, despite being reasonably close. Something for next year.

darylb

Just wanted to add to this thread in case anyone stumbles across it in future - the Wells Harbour Railway website at the .co.uk address is indeed a spam site that was set up when the old lapsed domain was registered by someone unconnected with the railway.

WHR has a new, official website at wellsharbourrailway.com that isn't full of out-of-date info, pictures of stonking great US locomotives, and articles about earwax.

Status
Not open for further replies.