• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Welsh government to reverse bus deregulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
When rail franchising started, local trains (less profitable) were generally in different franchises to long distance trains (more profitable). That was considered sub-optimal by the next round of franchising, and the franchise map was redrawn to have more integration between local and long distance trains, most notably in the cases of GWR and Greater Anglia (using current brand names).

Though even when they were separate, premium payments allowed for cross-subsidy.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Adsy125

Plenty of evidence for investment in new rolling stock etc throughout the network.

It might be that they'd invest more without the premium, but I suspect what would actually happen would be that they would pocket more.
Well, the only 2 net contributing franchises, LNER and SWR haven’t done amazingly really. In the current franchise the SWR suburban services are getting an extra 8 carriages total out of 742, with the longer distance services gaining 90 carriages out of well over 800. Considering the overcrowding and the fact it is the only commuter franchise that is a net contributor it isn’t great. In fact for most areas there has been little change since the timetable change in 2004. The only major non train investment is bringing 4 existing platforms back into use, not really amazing compared to GWR, Northern, MML electrification and others. (This is my perspective as someone living along the Weymouth Line.)

I have less knowledge about LNER but my impression is that they have used the age old tactic of pricing off demand to keep making money, not great really.

Man of Kent

When rail franchising started, local trains (less profitable) were generally in different franchises to long distance trains (more profitable). That was considered sub-optimal by the next round of franchising, and the franchise map was redrawn to have more integration between local and long distance trains, most notably in the cases of GWR and Greater Anglia (using current brand names).
Not in every case. Trans Pennine was created to take long distance routes out of local franchises. The rationalisation elsewhere was quoted at the time as a desire by the Strategic Rail Authority to reduce the number of franchisees at some (major) stations, the greater Anglia franchise amalgamating three operators (out of 4) which served Liverpool Street at the time.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Not in every case. Trans Pennine was created to take long distance routes out of local franchises.

The alleged reason for that was to create a "basket case" Northern franchise which would then be a victim of heavy service cuts and line closures.

Then petrol went up, passenger numbers skyrocketed and SercoAbellio Northern ended up managing a franchise with huge growth and no funds to provide the necessary capacity.

Had it not been for the nefarious intention I don't think this would have happened, and personally I would be in favour of merging it back in.

Status
Not open for further replies.