• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Welsh Highland Railway Superpower Weekend: Daily travel advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

E759

Some advice please on the daily travel arrangements during the WHR Superpower weekend. I looked in the archive but couldn't see an answer to my specific question:

I'll be staying in Beddgelert near the station and my plan is to board at Beddgelert each morning and alight each evening. Is that possible, i.e. are seats available, is there a queuing system at Beddgelert, will I have to wait an hour if the train is full?

I'm currently hedging my bets and driving so that I can use Porthmadog in case Beddgelert proves problematic. On the other hand if perceived wisdom is that I'll be OK then I may reconsider travel by rail. The Off-Peak tickets to Blaenau Ffestiniog are surprisingly affordable and the views I expect will be great.

Note my research to date has drawn conflicting views such as, lots of queuing, you must arrive an hour before your journey, don't bother coming as the seats are hard, pictures of trains during Superpower half empty, the journey is too long etc. I've not visited before and I know not to believe everything written on the web.

I did ask the Railway, they responded "You can board at Beddgelert on the day of travel if you wish." I'd specifically asked about queuing systems in place but no response was received. I do like to plan and find this pays dividends so apologies to anyone who feels I'm a bit of an obsessive planner!

Thank you.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DelW

Established Member
I've not been to a Superpower weekend so I can't offer any advice on queuing or how busy trains will be, but I'll make a few comments on the WHR generally and getting to it.
I've travelled along the northern sections several times during rebuilding, and along the full line several times since it was finished, and I think I've seen new views each time, as well as travelling behind a variety of locos, both steam and diesel. The Garratts are particularly impressive of course, like no other NG locos in Britain. As for the line being too long, the scenery is very different in each section, and I think it's well worth doing the full length at least once if not more. I've certainly never found it boring or thought it too long.
As for getting there, I would have thought either train to Bangor and bus to Caernarfon, or train to Porthmadog, would be easiest (depending where you're travelling from). When I was last there, AFAIR there were roughly hourly buses through Beddgelert in the daytime, but I think operators have changed with the demise of Express Motors, and timetables may be different now. Beddgelert itself is a pleasant little village, with at least a couple of decent pubs.
Whichever way you get there, I'd say it's well worth the trip (and I've no connection with the WHR except as a passenger!).

E759

I've not been to a Superpower weekend so I can't offer any advice on queuing or how busy trains will be, but I'll make a few comments on the WHR generally and getting to it.
I've travelled along the northern sections several times during rebuilding, and along the full line several times since it was finished, and I think I've seen new views each time, as well as travelling behind a variety of locos, both steam and diesel. The Garratts are particularly impressive of course, like no other NG locos in Britain. As for the line being too long, the scenery is very different in each section, and I think it's well worth doing the full length at least once if not more. I've certainly never found it boring or thought it too long.
As for getting there, I would have thought either train to Bangor and bus to Caernarfon, or train to Porthmadog, would be easiest (depending where you're travelling from). When I was last there, AFAIR there were roughly hourly buses through Beddgelert in the daytime, but I think operators have changed with the demise of Express Motors, and timetables may be different now. Beddgelert itself is a pleasant little village, with at least a couple of decent pubs.
Whichever way you get there, I'd say it's well worth the trip (and I've no connection with the WHR except as a passenger!).
Thank you for your reply DelW. Good to hear that the line is worth a visit. I have a 16mm Tasmanian Garratt so wanted to see the real thing! Oh and Lyn will be there too (which I also have in 16mm scale). Alas no double-heading with Lyd but I understand and respect the reason why not.

Yes it's technically possible to travel Bangor, bus Caernafon, WHR train Beddgelert or Blaenau Ffestiniog, FR train Portmadog, bus Beddgelert. I'm travelling from West Sussex.

DelW

Established Member
I live in west Surrey so my journey's not too much different from yours. I've done it by car (when I had a company car and free fuel), since I got a railcard I've gone by train via Birmingham, Machynlleth & Porthmadog, or via Chester & Bangor. I don't think there's a lot of difference in time, they're all quite slow. If you're travelling on advance singles, you could maybe go out one way and back the other. When I went by car, I opted to use the A5 through north Wales, slower than A55 but I thought it more scenic.

If you've not seen the Garratts, you have to do the line sometime! They're amazing locos for 2' gauge.

In my opinion, it's also worth a visit to WHHR at Portmadog, much smaller scale but a reminder of the early days of narrow gauge preservation. It's a bit of a walk from Harbour station though.

E759

Great idea doing both routes, thank you. Strangely no off peak returns are offered anyway. Just one advance to Blaenau Ffestiniog, similar on the Bangor route, which saves 60p! I’ve yet to do detailed analysis of the return but my gut says it will be easier. Taking into account the bus situation could be out via Bangor and return via Blaenau Ffestiniog, £112.30 for a pair of off peak singles.

Thanks again,
Stephen

nowananorack

I'll be there helping over the weekend.
Each years train times on during Superpower vary event to event.
Last year there was an extra round turn from Porthmadog before the service trains and one after only on the Saturday.
The only guaranteed trains are those on the published timetable at https://www.festrail.co.uk/timetable-whr.htm
Beddgelert station is usually manned and is able to issue normal train tickets, otherwise it's the guard.
Event rover tickets, available for all event trains, and guides are normally available from Porthmadog and Caernarfon stations as well as on the gate, likely to be a red single decker bus.
I understand Lyn will be running shuttles between Caernarfon and Waunfawr.
Event timetables usually appear on the railways website and facebook pages in the few days leading up to the event.

E759

Each years train times on during Superpower vary event to event.
Last year there was an extra round turn from Porthmadog before the service trains and one after only on the Saturday.
The only guaranteed trains are those on the published timetable at https://www.festrail.co.uk/timetable-whr.htm
Beddgelert station is usually manned and is able to issue normal train tickets, otherwise it's the guard.
Event rover tickets, available for all event trains, and guides are normally available from Porthmadog and Caernarfon stations as well as on the gate, likely to be a red single decker bus.
I understand Lyn will be running shuttles between Caernarfon and Waunfawr.
Event timetables usually appear on the railways website and facebook pages in the few days leading up to the event.
Thank you very much for these details. Hope the helping out is a stress free rewarding experience!

Purchased the 3 Day Rover back in June so just have to collect the Welcome Pack at some point. Didn’t mention that in the original post as it read too much of a brag. Getting to the F&WHR and back is such an effort that I thought it best to cram in as much as possible as the likelihood of returning again isn’t great. Well, we can blame the last Ice Age and geography for that!

Intrigued how an additional before service train is promoted, Twitter and/or FaceCrook?

Lyn shuttle sounds good. Indeed shuttles must be a good way to breakup seat hogs.

Red single decker? The context got lost along the way!

Thanks and again enjoy your volunteering stint

nowananorack

Event rover tickets, available for all event trains, and guides are normally available from Porthmadog and Caernarfon stations as well as on the gate , likely to be a red single decker bus.

Red single decker bus was at Dinas, acting as ticket office.(on the gate)

nowananorack

I'll be traveling daily, before, during and after the event, from Minffordd/Porthmadog to Dinas by car, early start, late finish.
If you rely on the WHR service trains then you will not get much time in Dinas before the return trip, unless they run extras.
Had a quick surf for buses.
Gwynfor Coaches(http://www.gwynforcoaches.co.uk/services) run a service S4 Caernarfon - Beddgelert/Pen y Pass which might be useful. Short walk to WHR station.
This also looks useful https://www.gwynedd.llyw.cymru/en/R...and-travel/Bus-timetables/Bus-timetables.aspx

It might be better for you to base yourself at Caernarfon rather than Beddgelert for the event
Post code for Dinas is LL54 5UP

Crawley Ben

Slightly off topic here (apologies Mods/forum members).

I'm staying in North Wales next July, and have mentiond to my wife that that I would like to visit this railway for my 35th birthday, as we won't be staying too far from Porthmadog. Has anyone travelled on the first class carriages, and if so would it be worth the upgrade in your opinion?

We will be driving from West Sussex too as well (Crawley area)

Many thanks

Ben

E759

I'll be traveling daily, before, during and after the event, from Minffordd/Porthmadog to Dinas by car, early start, late finish.
If you rely on the WHR service trains then you will not get much time in Dinas before the return trip, unless they run extras.
Had a quick surf for buses.
Gwynfor Coaches(http://www.gwynforcoaches.co.uk/services) run a service S4 Caernarfon - Beddgelert/Pen y Pass which might be useful. Short walk to WHR station.
This also looks useful https://www.gwynedd.llyw.cymru/en/R...and-travel/Bus-timetables/Bus-timetables.aspx

It might be better for you to base yourself at Caernarfon rather than Beddgelert for the event
Post code for Dinas is LL54 5UP
Dinas - had to look up what this was: I would think thirty minutes and I'm done.

The official bus web site was easily located thank you. There's a great website I use https://bustimes.org

Why might it be better being based in Caernarfon please? Appears to be a small town with a bypass going through the middle not around it and a long way from the National Park!

Thanks for your continued support in helping me with this interesting event,
Stephen

nowananorack

WHR Superpower will be based around their Dinas station, post code LL54 5UP
Service trains from Beddgelert to Dinas leaving at around 11.30 and taking around 65 mins, giving you around 2 hours before returning.
Though there will be extra trains running, not all will run through to Beddgelert and/or Porthmadog.
Staying in and around Dinas would save you having to fork out for bus's and/or taxis if you don't have your own transport.

I'm staying in North Wales next July, and have mentiond to my wife that that I would like to visit this railway for my 35th birthday, as we won't be staying too far from Porthmadog. Has anyone travelled on the first class carriages, and if so would it be worth the upgrade in your opinion?

Many thanks

Ben

First class seats need to be booked in advance and are popular. There is a new first class observation carriage being built for the WHR, though I don't know when it's due in service.
I've traveled in the WHR's observation carriage in seat 1, right in the curved window. Porthmadog to Caernarfon has a grandstand view of the locomotive but the views on the return trip were stunning. Seating is luxurious, the woodwork in the construction is amazing.
There are videos of the new FR observation carriages around somewhere.
Allow for a full day for the WHR. Round trip is around 6 hours, giving you around 1 1/2 hours in Caernarfon.

E759

WHR Superpower will be based around their Dinas station, post code LL54 5UP
Service trains from Beddgelert to Dinas leaving at around 11.30 and taking around 65 mins, giving you around 2 hours before returning.
Though there will be extra trains running, not all will run through to Beddgelert and/or Porthmadog.
Staying in and around Dinas would save you having to fork out for bus's and/or taxis if you don't have your own transport.
Thank you very much indeed. Crucial piece of information not yet revealed by the Railway. 25 minute commute by car from Beddgelert according to Google.

bramling

Veteran Member
Thank you very much indeed. Crucial piece of information not yet revealed by the Railway. 25 minute commute by car from Beddgelert according to Google.

With a clear road and the wind blowing the right way! A very scenic drive though, but not the best of roads for a quick run, especially in season.

E759

With a clear road and the wind blowing the right way! A very scenic drive though, but not the best of roads for a quick run, especially in season.
Aye, but a breeze compared to a daily commute on GTR into the City every morning. If you’ve a bucket and sponge I can be there at 0730 each day to get the carriage windows ready for daily operation. Just say the word and I’ll be there.

Tim M

Ben
I have travelled in the Pullman first class cars on the WHR but generally only for the few minutes it takes to check tickets! Is it worth it, absolutely yes. The seating is arm chair comfortable and ambience is much nicer than 3rd class (mind 3rd is also very good in the modern open saloons). By next July the second Pullman Observation Saloon might be available (the bodywork is progressing in the Carriage Works), meaning both train sets will have an Observation car.

Do book online if you can as 1st class can fill up very quickly. Do check out the web site for times and food on the move options.

Belperpete

Established Member
Some advice please on the daily travel arrangements during the WHR Superpower weekend. I looked in the archive but couldn't see an answer to my specific question:
I'll be staying in Beddgelert near the station and my plan is to board at Beddgelert each morning and alight each evening. Is that possible, i.e. are seats available, is there a queuing system at Beddgelert, will I have to wait an hour if the train is full? I'm currently hedging my bets and driving so that I can use Porthmadog in case Beddgelert proves problematic. On the other hand if perceived wisdom is that I'll be OK then I may reconsider travel by rail. The Off-Peak tickets to Blaenau Ffestiniog are surprisingly affordable and the views I expect will be great.

The public timetable shows only two trains a day to Dinas/Caernarfon from Beddgelert at that time of year, at 1130 and 1455. So if you don't get on the 1130, you are likely to have to wait a sight more than an hour! As others have said, there are likely to be more trains once the full event timetable is released, but most will probably only be between Caernarfon and Waunfawr or Rhyd Ddu. There is unlikely to be a queuing system at Beddgelert, as it is outside the main Superpower arena. There may be a queuing system at Dinas, but probably only for the extra event trains that have limited seating.

If you are coming by car, Beddgelert is not a bad choice to stay, but be aware that it is only a small village with very limited facilities (and limited parking). Although the roads into Beddgelert are classed as A roads, that does not mean they can be driven at speed (not unless you have a death wish) - they are narrow and full of blind bends, with on-coming coaches often taking up most of the road. From Beddgelert, you can do the trip to Caernarfon on the WHR one day, the other way to Porthmadog another day, and drive to Porthmadog to do the Ffestiniog a third day. I usually recommend doing the Welsh Highland in two halves, as it can be a long journey if you do the whole line out and back all in one day. If you want to do the whole Welsh Highland in one day, you will probably need to drive to Porthmadog or Caernarfon to start the trip. At that time of year, on the public timetable, you can't do a full round trip to both ends starting from Beddgelert, although it might be possible with the extra event trains. Likewise you probably won't be able to do a combined trip from Beddgelert to Porthmadog, up the Ffestiniog, and back to Beddgelert.

If you intend using public transport, then I would not recommend staying in Beddgelert. The bus services are fairly limited, especially on Sundays, and there is no direct bus to Dinas, which will be the hub of the Superpower weekend. A better bet would be to stay in Caernarfon, which has a number of the "chain" hotels, and has good bus services to Bangor, Dinas and Porthmadog. If you are travelling by bus, consider buying a "Red Rover" ticket - it is not particularly well advertised these days, but it covers all buses in the Gwynedd area. If you buy an ordinary return, you need to check that your return journey is run by the same operator as the outward, or will accept the other operator's ticket.

I would recommend allowing more than half an hour at Dinas. As the hub of the Superpower weekend, there is likely to be plenty to see and do there.

I think I heard somewhere that the single-decker red bus used in the past for selling entrance tickets is no longer available, as whoever provided it has sold it on.

E759

The public timetable shows only two trains a day to Dinas/Caernarfon from Beddgelert at that time of year, at 1130 and 1455. So if you don't get on the 1130, you are likely to have to wait a sight more than an hour! As others have said, there are likely to be more trains once the full event timetable is released, but most will probably only be between Caernarfon and Waunfawr or Rhyd Ddu. There is unlikely to be a queuing system at Beddgelert, as it is outside the main Superpower arena. There may be a queuing system at Dinas, but probably only for the extra event trains that have limited seating.

If you are coming by car, Beddgelert is not a bad choice to stay, but be aware that it is only a small village with very limited facilities (and limited parking). Although the roads into Beddgelert are classed as A roads, that does not mean they can be driven at speed (not unless you have a death wish) - they are narrow and full of blind bends, with on-coming coaches often taking up most of the road. From Beddgelert, you can do the trip to Caernarfon on the WHR one day, the other way to Porthmadog another day, and drive to Porthmadog to do the Ffestiniog a third day. I usually recommend doing the Welsh Highland in two halves, as it can be a long journey if you do the whole line out and back all in one day. If you want to do the whole Welsh Highland in one day, you will probably need to drive to Porthmadog or Caernarfon to start the trip. At that time of year, on the public timetable, you can't do a full round trip to both ends starting from Beddgelert, although it might be possible with the extra event trains. Likewise you probably won't be able to do a combined trip from Beddgelert to Porthmadog, up the Ffestiniog, and back to Beddgelert.

If you intend using public transport, then I would not recommend staying in Beddgelert. The bus services are fairly limited, especially on Sundays, and there is no direct bus to Dinas, which will be the hub of the Superpower weekend. A better bet would be to stay in Caernarfon, which has a number of the "chain" hotels, and has good bus services to Bangor, Dinas and Porthmadog. If you are travelling by bus, consider buying a "Red Rover" ticket - it is not particularly well advertised these days, but it covers all buses in the Gwynedd area. If you buy an ordinary return, you need to check that your return journey is run by the same operator as the outward, or will accept the other operator's ticket.

I would recommend allowing more than half an hour at Dinas. As the hub of the Superpower weekend, there is likely to be plenty to see and do there.

I think I heard somewhere that the single-decker red bus used in the past for selling entrance tickets is no longer available, as whoever provided it has sold it on.
Much appreciate the observations provided, thank you very much. I've now reverted to Plan A, driving to the event. Accommodation wise I've relocated to a mile from Dinas station to facilitate access onto the additional Superpower trains etc.

I'm looking forward to seeing the event Timetable! Meanwhile I've been watching videos of the previous events on YouTube :)

Thanks again, without your help I'd be blissfully ignorant of how Superpower works.

Crawley Ben

I have travelled in the Pullman first class cars on the WHR but generally only for the few minutes it takes to check tickets! Is it worth it, absolutely yes. The seating is arm chair comfortable and ambience is much nicer than 3rd class (mind 3rd is also very good in the modern open saloons). By next July the second Pullman Observation Saloon might be available (the bodywork is progressing in the Carriage Works), meaning both train sets will have an Observation car.

Do book online if you can as 1st class can fill up very quickly. Do check out the web site for times and food on the move options.

Thanks for the above info Tim :smile:

Ben

iantherev

Many thanks

Ben

Would definitely recommend it. We did the whole line a few years back - out in 3rd and back in 1st and that was well worth the upgrade.

E759

been checking every day twice a day since the SVR published their gala timetable :)

can you shed any light on this ‘Narrow Minded Natter’ thing?

E759

'Narrow Minded Natter' will likely be something on the lines of food, drinking, maybe some alcohol, general chit-chat.
A bit about the Nantlle Railway can be found here:-https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nantlle_Railway and https://www.festipedia.org.uk/wiki/Nantlle_Railway.
From the timetable it looks like there will also be a few extra trains into the evening.
Thank you for those links. Yes I noticed those evening trains too, hope to give them a spin. I’m really grateful for the advice to stay up the top end, plus the accommodation is cheaper. Seems bizarre that Dinas is a Request Stop, but I shall Make My Intent Clear.

nowananorack

Though Dinas is listed as a request stop, it is also a passing point/token exchange, therefore all trains normally stop there.
Guard only needs to know if you're in a locked carriage.
F & WHR rules say If the carriage door opens outwards then it must be locked when in transit due to line clearances.
Apart from the service trains, blue on the event timetable, all trains will most likely be older heritage stock which all have outward opening doors. The guard(s) will be busy:D:D:D

Status
Not open for further replies.