• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Welsh Valleys Trip

Status
Not open for further replies.

rich.davies

I'm planning to take a trip to the Welsh Valley's next year.

Can anyone recommend the best rail line on the valley's network, where i could get a true feel of the valley's and get a view of past industrial sites etc, from the train.

Being from North Wales, im not familiar with the area and have tried to search for recommendations online but had no luck.

Many Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

VT 390

Established Member
I have to say after travelling on them all I think they are all good but my favourite is the Rhymney line, especially after Bargoed.
Also though it may not be exactly what you want the line between Bridgend and Barry has some good views at times along the coast.

rich.davies

Thank you for your reply, i may give that line a go.
I have to say after travelling on them all I think they are all good but my favourite is the Rhymney line, especially after Bargoed.
Also though it may not be exactly what you want the line between Bridgend and Barry has some good views at times along the coast.

Blinkbonny

Freedom of the Valleys ticket allows you to go up one line and then catch a bus across to return to Cardiff on another.

I recently went up to Merthyr, then bus across to Rhymney. Needless to say bus driver had never heard of such a ticket, but both I used were quite willing to accept it.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
It is a shame that there are no bus links (and no taxi either - trust me, we tried) to cover the spectacular mountain road over the top from Treherbet to Aberdare.

On reflection we should have tried it the other way !

Rhymney to Merthyr by bus is easy enough , and not a bad jaunt.

mrcheek

Established Member
All of the valley lines are worth doing, so try to get to Cardiff early and do as many as you can. Or if you cant fit them all in in a single day, theres plenty of budget hotels in Cardiff within easy walking distance of both main stations.

Rhymney is the best of the lot. Probably the most under-rated scenic line in the whole of Britain

iantherev

It is a shame that there are no bus links (and no taxi either - trust me, we tried) to cover the spectacular mountain road over the top from Treherbet to Aberdare.

On reflection we should have tried it the other way !

Rhymney to Merthyr by bus is easy enough , and not a bad jaunt.

Not as interesting as the days when Parfitt’s ran REs on it though.

sftfan1909

The Barry to Bridgend and the Merthyr Tydfil lines are my personal favourites. Up until Bargoed I find the line a bit boring but Bargoed to Rhymney is a lot nicer and well worth a visit. The worst one in my opinion is Maesteg

Veteran Member
All of the valley lines are worth doing, so try to get to Cardiff early and do as many as you can. Or if you cant fit them all in in a single day, theres plenty of budget hotels in Cardiff within easy walking distance of both main stations.

Rhymney is the best of the lot. Probably the most under-rated scenic line in the whole of Britain

Rhymney again. And agree with the overnight stop - eg if you want to do the hauled Rhymney up-grade. I did this from Yorkshire the last time they ran - you would have the bonus of dinner on the 1716 home!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Just seen this thread, fallen way behind on the forum lately!

In terms of recommendations, for pure scenery I'd go for the Rhymney branch as it is pretty decent. I'd also suggest the Treherbert branch too, I've not been up that one since the mid-2000s (there were ex-ScotRail 150s pre-refurb in use at the time, that's how long ago it was!) so memory is hazy, however I recall it being quite nice.

For getting a feel of industry etc, you'll find it harder to find that these days with more and more of former industrial sites being re-developed. The first place that came to mind though is Taffs Well, and for getting a vibe of the Valleys life (bear in mind again this is based on memory from the mid-2000s) nothing quite gives you that feeling like a trip north of Abercynon on the Merthyr Tydfil branch.

One thing that did surprise me when Kite159 and I did a bit of a Pacer farewell a while ago was how little investment in stations there is on the Valleys routes. Places like Radyr have seen a fair bit of investment (that car park and ticket office are a vast improvement on what was there in 2005 for example, and Llandaf is far better now), elsewhere the amount of broken/not-working information screens and in general run-down shelters etc (I'd not want to wait for a train in some of these places!) is surprising. I swear some parts of the Rhymney line haven't seen any investment since Valley Lines existed as its own TOC!

If I wasn't now running low on time to get prepped for a mini-break, I'd add photos to back up my points, maybe later on. More importantly, have a brilliant trip!

Merthyr Imp

for getting a vibe of the Valleys life (bear in mind again this is based on memory from the mid-2000s) nothing quite gives you that feeling like a trip north of Abercynon on the Merthyr Tydfil branch.

Just north of Quakers Yard it's possible from the train to see the trackbed of the Penydarren Tramroad where Trevithick's engine ran in 1704.

glenbogle

I really enjoy the hour or so run to Ebbw Vale town, it’s very quiet if you travel to there after the morning peak, plenty of buses from there to Merthyr for the run down to Pontypridd then get off there and head up to Rhymney.

Status
Not open for further replies.