• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Welwyn Garden City bridge refurbishment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Failed Unit

Established Member
The bridge linking Welwyn Garden City and Hyde Way will be refurbished in new year.

It has looked a little sorry for itself.

An investment of over £1million will see the footbridge, which links the railway station and east Welwyn Garden City, completely refurbished with a lift installed, along with new, safer stairs. Network Rail engineers will clean the bridge before repainting it and carrying out structural improvements; work will also take place to resurface the walkway and install new lights.

Once complete, the project will improve the look and feel of the station, improving passenger experience and better connecting the town

The work won’t cause any disruption to rail services, but there will be no access to the train station via Hydeway. The alternative route will be via Bridge Road. Network Rail is working closely with Govia Thameslink Railway, Welwyn Hatfield Borough Council and Hertfordshire County Council on the project, and all parties are working together to keep disruption to a minimum. The project will complete in late spring 2020.

Paul Rutter, Route Director for Network Rail,said: “We are pleased to announce that work on this much needed upgrade will begin later this year. The refurbishment of the footbridge will better connect the town, as well as improving passenger experience at the station. The work won’t cause any disruption to rail services, but will cause some disruption to those walking to the station or town centre and we would like to apologise for this.

www.networkrail.co.uk/news/historic-connection-gets-21st-century-upgrade-dates-for-upgrade-at-welwyn-garden-city-station-announced/amp/

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

adamedwards

This is long overdue and needed as the Shredded Wheat factory site is due to be redeveloped for housing.

thewaistcoat

It needs doing, however it's a shame that:
  • They're not providing a temporary bridge/access like they did in Hatfield - I guess they had no alternative there and it would be prohibitively expensive.
  • It's happening at the time of year it is - when the nights will be so dark. Pedestrians are going to have to negotiate far busier and more dangerous roads that they already do from the east side.
There are tons of cycles daily in Hydeway, not sure what they're supposed to do.

Failed Unit

Established Member
I must admit when it was closed last time it did cause a lot of missed trains. The ways around are well lit as you probably know. But add at least 5 mins onto your journey (probably 10 for most). As you say a temporary bridge would be nice.

Skimpot flyer

Established Member
Rusty, bits falling off... but that’s enough about me. 0897039B-F70B-4C8F-9FF3-1394CD020FE6.jpeg Here’s a photo taken from said bridge, taken before the partial demolition of the Shredded Wheat factory

Aictos

Established Member
When did the Shredded Wheat factory closed then? The footbridge in question though needs doing as I'm surprised it's still standing!

notverydeep

When did the Shredded Wheat factory closed then? The footbridge in question though needs doing as I'm surprised it's still standing!

2007 or there abouts...

Some additional support structures were added within the last few years. I'm interested to see whether these are retained after the work. I have added a picture of one of these supports (taken this morning, with the Shredded Wheat Factory in the background), plus a general view of the bridge from the platform (although not great because of the low sun). I assume the works will be funded as a 'Section 106' contribution from the developer (which would be a condition of their planning consent). Information about the development, to be called 'The Wheat Quarter' is here: https://thewheatquarter.co.uk/. A bonus prize for anyone who can tell me which train does the journey to / from King's Cross in 20 minutes!!!

Much as I am glad they have been persuaded to refurbish the goods yard bridge, and indeed it is something of a feature on their 'fly over' video, what I really wanted as a planning condition was a swimming pool...

IMG_0526.JPG IMG_0527.JPG

Last edited:

Aictos

Established Member
2007 or there abouts...

Some additional support structures were added within the last few years. I'm interested to see whether these are retained after the work.

I thought it was still open and only recently closed! Thanks for the correction though as to the bridge, we will see.

thewaistcoat

A bonus prize for anyone who can tell me which train does the journey to / from King's Cross in 20 minutes!!!
None that actually stop.
I've had a good look and can't find any less than 27 minutes with the current timetable. Most of those are early, late or require getting a fast train to Welwyn North (17 minutes) and doubling back. You'd need two tickets or a season ticket covering the entire journey for that though (and cross your fingers you'd make the connection).
I recall before the Failplan 2020 timetable we did have some services that were close to 20 minutes.
Nowadays to get a seat, I make the compromise of a 42 minute train into London and a 32 minute one back - nearly twice as long as they suggest.
Gone a tad off-topic I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.