• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wembley - Luton/Heathrow - Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to go the Carling Cup Final at Wembley on Sunday 26 Feb. I need to fly back to Glasgow that night. The game kicks off at 4pm, lets assume the longest possible game and it goes to penalties so I don’t get out the ground until 7pm.

My flight option are BA from Heathrow at 9.15pm or Easyjet from Luton at 9.20pm. I can check in on line but what about security and getting to the gate, I’ve not flown from Heathrow before apart from in transit, I presume it’s a bit of a nightmare, so is Luton better?

Can I make either of them if it goes to penalties (can I make either of them if it doesn’t go to penalties and the game finishes at 6pm)? If so what is going to be the fastest route to either by tube/train? I know roughly the routes I think I need to take but as a non Londoner some expert advise would be most appreciated.

After a sell out crowd at Wembley getting a taxi anywhere isn’t going to be an option is it?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I can't advise on likely time to go through security etc, but TfL reckons on about 1h10 from Wembley Stadium to Heathrow (variety of routes - bus to Alperton then Underground via Acton being the most straightforward). Add 15 mins to get out the ground and the same again (at least!) to get a bus and it's looking a bit of a long shot.

Luton Airport is nearly 2h away according to NRE. You could get the Metropolitan line to Finchley Road, then the 757 coach to Luton (d.1956 a.2040) - again cutting it a bit close.

I think that unless you can get a taxi (ring a local minicab firm, they might know a good place to pick up) it's not going to happen.

Since this is a rail forum I feel compelled to point out that the best course of action is to stay in the pub until it's nearly closing time, then bop over to Watford Junction (Bakerloo line) to pick up the 2347 to Glasgow (arriving Glasgow Central 0720) :D.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I'd definitely advise Luton if you have a choice. Go to Wembley Park and get the Jubilee line to West Hampstead taking 10 minutes, then a short walk to the Thameslink station and there are 4 trains an hour direct to Luton Airport Parkway taking between 27 and 35 minutes. If the game goes to penalties then you should still be ok, but you might have to miss the presentation if your team has won. London Underground are very used to handling crowds after a football match and there will be extra trains in all directions. You will probably have to queue a bit to get into the station but it won't take that long.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
I'd actually recommend Heathrow, as BA are more likely to close the gate nearer to departure time than QueasyJet. Route I would suggest is Metropolitan Line from Wembley Park out to Rayners Lane, change there for the Piccadilly Line from Rayners Lane to Acton Town and change again for the Piccadilly Line from Acton Town to Heathrow Terminal 5. Journey time = approximately 80 minutes. If you are on an Underground train at Wembley Park by no later than 7 p.m., this should mean that you arrive almost an hour before departure at Heathrow Terminal 5 which should be more than enough time to clear security, etc.

OwlMan

Established Member
Luton Airport is nearly 2h away according to NRE. You could get the Metropolitan line to Finchley Road, then the 757 coach to Luton (d.1956 a.2040) - again cutting it a bit close.

Hendon is 31 min from Luton Airport Pkway station and is on the 83 bus route (every ten minutes) which stops outside Wembley Arena and takes approx 20 minutes to Hendon Station

Peter

lfc84

the queues for security will be quicker at heathrow than luton

get to paddington and take the heathrow express

34D

Established Member
Since this is a rail forum I feel compelled to point out that the best course of action is to stay in the pub until it's nearly closing time, then bop over to Watford Junction (Bakerloo line) to pick up the 2347 to Glasgow (arriving Glasgow Central 0720) :D.

Indeed. There is also a 19:25 from euston arriving glasgow a couple of minutes after midnight.

Just to point out that the 23:47 train (exact time varies depending on date - please advise) mentioned above is a sleeper train, with proper beds (or alternatively a reclining seat) and if you are working in Glasgow monday morning you'd be fully rested from a good nights sleep. Contrast that please with a 9pm flight - needing to be at the London airport 2 hours before that, landing at maybe 11pm, half an hour before you're actually outside the airport, then a drive to wherever home is (an hour?) bed at 00:30 if you're lucky.....

Last edited:

LondonJohn

Regardless of the queues for security even if you have checked in online and have your boarding card you need to be through security 35 minutes before departure. This is known as BA's conformity at T5. If your boarding card is not scanned at the entrance to security at T-35 you will NOT be allowed through and not allowed onto the flight. Moreso if you have hold luggage this will be offloaded at this time.

Clip

Established Member

Was about to say this. Chiltern run specials to Marylebone after the games at wembley - queues though - then get over to paddington the express out to heathrow. It has to be the quickest option surely?

lfc84

Indeed. There is also a 19:25 from euston arriving glasgow a couple of minutes after midnight.

Just to point out that the 23:47 train (exact time varies depending on date - please advise) mentioned above is a sleeper train, with proper beds (or alternatively a reclining seat) and if you are working in Glasgow monday morning you'd be fully rested from a good nights sleep. Contrast that please with a 9pm flight - needing to be at the London airport 2 hours before that, landing at maybe 11pm, half an hour before you're actually outside the airport, then a drive to wherever home is (an hour?) bed at 00:30 if you're lucky.....

OT....but the flight doesn't land at 11pm.

Sun 26 February 2012, 21:15
Arriving at: Glasgow Terminal M
Sun 26 February 2012, 22:35

Anyway, please report back what you end up doing

My only concern would be the time taken to get into wembley stadium station for the train to marylebone.

Just one more issue to add into the mix that I forgot about. I will have a suitcase with me as I’m going to be in London from the Friday. I can’t find anything on the Wembley website about storage and I don’t think it’s the kind of thing a football ground will offer. So where else can I leave that except at a mainline station? That was making me think I’d need to go back to Paddington/St Pancras after the game to pick up the case I dumped there earlier. I’m staying with a mate south of the river.

This is looking less and less do able.

I suppose the next question will be what is going to be comfier, another night on my mate’s couch and train back Monday or getting the sleeper? I’m 6’4 and only have the option of a standard ticket, ie 1 bunk in a 2 berth cabin. I guess I could pay the supplement to get into a single berth myself if it is reasonable, website doesn’t make it clear how much that would be though. I’d assume the Sunday services are busy on the sleeper but I’ve never used it before, what are my chances of not having to share and lets say it’s half full do they double everyone up to save themselves money/cleaning time or do they spread everyone out and only double up if they have to?

button_boxer

Established Member
I suppose the next question will be what is going to be comfier, another night on my mate’s couch and train back Monday or getting the sleeper? I’m 6’4 and only have the option of a standard ticket, ie 1 bunk in a 2 berth cabin.

Has anyone tried the megabus sleeper? Not as cheap as a normal megabus but they still have some £40 tickets available for that date.

http://uk.megabus.com/megabus-sleeper.aspx

jon0844

Veteran Member
If you're not sure about the sleeper, you might be better off getting a train back Monday and staying in a Travelodge or Premier Inn (I prefer the latter). Not near the ground, as they'll be booked/expensive - but anywhere in London is pretty easy to get to.

You might be able to go to the hotel before setting off to Wembley too, leaving your suitcase there (even if the room isn't ready) to solve the other problem.

Ferret

Established Member

I'd go with the Heathrow option too - Luton's security is a nightmare, T5 at Heathrow is smooth, and BA are a better airline!:)

pitdiver

I've only ever been to the new Wembley Stadium once and that was the Johnstone's Paint final. Basing it on that it is hell on earth trying to get away from the area by road transport. So forget Taxis. Getting on Met Line at WP isn't bad but if it was me I would stay in London 1 more night and travel up to Glasgow on the Monday.

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
You can't simply walk on to trains at Wembley Stadium, Central or Park stations after big matches. You have to wait in long, well-organized queues. I would say your chances of reaching either Heathrow or Luton in time are minimal if the game goes to penalties.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Yes, you must be prepared to wait. Things move fairly well, so you'll probably find you're never standing still - but it is a case of letting a number of people in, fill the trains, let it go, let more in etc.

It works very well, although you may have to leave early (and why would you want to do that?) or hang on to let the bulk of the crowds go. I'd really opt to stay over in town, so you can stay in the ground for a bit and have a much less stressful journey. A budget hotel needn't cost much either.

Status
Not open for further replies.