• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wensleydale Railway ‘clear out’

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexl92

Established Member
The latest Steam Railway magazine reports that the Wensleydale Railway has asked the owners of a number of locomotives stored on the railway, including the owner of 9f 92219, to remove their locomotives from the site. I understand that the railway feels they have too much unrestored rolling stock laying around which is cluttering up their sites.

Steam Railway only names the 9F and the Black Hawthorn 0-4-0 (I think it’s named Wellington) directly, but did refer to some diesels leaving too.
Does anyone know which these are and where they’ll go?

cheers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nym

Established Member
Well, wherever will take them.

They're a private company and can frankly do whatever they want.

If I was having a stored asset from someone else bringing in minimal funds, making the place look untidy, causing access issues and taking up space that would simplify my own operations, I'd be asking them to clear out too.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It’s probably about time that a few railways did something about the wreckage lying around in sidings. There is some valuable stuff out there but there’s an awful lot of stuff that will never get restored.

Titfield

Established Member
I do think having large amounts of unrestored stock on public view is counter productive.

It looks unprofessional and might even dissuade donations on the basis of "black hole syndrome".

fgwrich

Established Member
I do think having large amounts of unrestored stock on public view is counter productive.

It looks unprofessional and might even dissuade donations on the basis of "black hole syndrome".

Similarly, the Broken Window Theory for unrestored rolling stock and locomotives, as lines like the East Lanc's seem to be finding out with visits from these "Urban Explorers" in "Vintage Train Graveyards" etc.

Where’s 37674 moved to?

I believe it's been moved to Allelys Yard pending a move to it's future home. Not sure who the owner is, but google brings up a connection to the 9F.

Titfield

Established Member
Similarly, the Broken Window Theory for unrestored rolling stock and locomotives, as lines like the East Lanc's seem to be finding out with visits from these "Urban Explorers" in "Vintage Train Graveyards" etc.

Yes agreed. CCTV cameras and signs are no deterrent to these individuals.

Perhaps I am being way too dramatic but I fear one day one of these individuals will have a very nasty accident on a railway but will then sue the railway under the Occupiers Liability Act 1984 for damages.

The risk of having rolling stock with broken windows, jagged rusty metal etc accessible is simply too great.

The Bear

The latest Steam Railway magazine reports that the Wensleydale Railway has asked the owners of a number of locomotives stored on the railway, including the owner of 9f 92219, to remove their locomotives from the site. I understand that the railway feels they have too much unrestored rolling stock laying around which is cluttering up their sites.

Steam Railway only names the 9F and the Black Hawthorn 0-4-0 (I think it’s named Wellington) directly, but did refer to some diesels leaving too.
Does anyone know which these are and where they’ll go?

cheers
That'll be 20169, 37674 & 47785.

Don't know if 37674 is still Allelys Yard but I believe the locos were heading to a private industrial site.

visits from these "Urban Explorers" in "Vintage Train Graveyards" etc.
Yes, it will end in tears one day & those who shouldn't be there traipsing around in the 4foot will blame everyone but themselves.

swanhill41

I think the locos in question both diesel and steam are the ones evicted from Kirby Stephen East,a few years back.
If so the gentleman seemed to buy these locos,but never to do anything with them,just make the place look untidy.
Note the 9F is loco only and that is basically only useful for scrap.

The Bear

I think the locos in question both diesel and steam are the ones evicted from Kirby Stephen East,a few years back.
If so the gentleman seemed to buy these locos,but never to do anything with them,just make the place look untidy.
Progress was made.....
And 37674 has run at Wensleydale.

But while at Kirkby Stephen East they had a visit from our friends the Metal Thieves........

alexl92

Established Member
Where’s 37674 moved to?

I believe it's been moved to Allelys Yard pending a move to it's future home. Not sure who the owner is, but google brings up a connection to the 9F.
It initially went to Embsay, but they refused to take it because the owner hadn't actually been given permission to keep it there. So then it was stuck in a layby nearby for a few days! Dont know if anyone has any more details on that, such as why the owner thought he could turn up with a large diesel loco unnannounced?

That'll be 20169, 37674 & 47785.

Don't know if 37674 is still Allelys Yard but I believe the locos were heading to a private industrial site.

Yes, it will end in tears one day & those who shouldn't be there traipsing around in the 4foot will blame everyone but themselves.
Thank you. I thought 47785 and one of the 20s was operational, presumably not?

I do know that the 9F came from KSE. It was supposed to be a long-term restoration project. Sounds like this is the second time this owner's been evicted with his locos then?

The Black Hawthorn 0-4-0, Wellington, was over from Tanfield for overhaul but is now returning there.

fgwrich

Established Member
It initially went to Embsay, but they refused to take it because the owner hadn't actually been given permission to keep it there. So then it was stuck in a layby nearby for a few days! Dont know if anyone has any more details on that, such as why the owner thought he could turn up with a large diesel loco unnannounced?

I think it's rather understandable that the Embsay & Bolton Abbey lot didn't want it, given their own issues with locos with un-attentive owners on their line!

yoyothehobo

I got stuck behind that 9F going up over Stainmore when they evicted it. There was a lane closure all the way up the dual carriageway. Needless to say I was there for a while, never seen push pull operations on a truck in the UK

alexl92

Established Member
I think it's rather understandable that the Embsay & Bolton Abbey lot didn't want it, given their own issues with locos with un-attentive owners on their line!
Oh I'm not blaming them - or the WR for that matter!

the sniper

Established Member
It’s probably about time that a few railways did something about the wreckage lying around in sidings. There is some valuable stuff out there but there’s an awful lot of stuff that will never get restored.

They've got to make space for all the Pacers...

sprinterguy

Established Member
The Black Hawthorn 0-4-0, Wellington, was over from Tanfield for overhaul but is now returning there.
I'd wondered what had become of 'Wellington' in recent years. Didn't realise it was at the Wensleydale Railway, so that's a minor mystery solved for me.

alexl92

Established Member
I'd wondered what had become of 'Wellington' in recent years. Didn't realise it was at the Wensleydale Railway, so that's a minor mystery solved for me.
Yeah, apparently it moved for overhaul at a private workshop at Leeming Bar but evidently the WR don't feel it's a good use of their siding space. Can't blame them unless they were being handsomely paid, because the loco is too small for use on the WR line (and I'm pretty sure that was never the plan anyway).

Titfield

Established Member
IMHO it would take a lot of "rent" (paid up front) to justify the loss of siding space and reputational damage caused by having semi derelict stock.

I know it has been done a ta siding but surely restoration needs to be done undercover in a proper environment with all the requisite tools, lighting, welfare facilities etc.

DannyMich2018

They've got to make space for all the Pacers...
Yes the relentless obsession of buying these for preservation....More will end up preserved than scrapped at this rate. I think some railways have more unrestored wagons and coaches than locomotives many of which won't run again and are unsightly.

randyrippley

Established Member
Yes the relentless obsession of buying these for preservation....More will end up preserved than scrapped at this rate. I think some railways have more unrestored wagons and coaches than locomotives many of which won't run again and are unsightly.
Pacers can generate money.
Old hopeless wrecks can't

CarltonA

Presumably lacking a tender. That in itself does make it scrap value only. 35006 P&O was retrieved from Barry minus tender, a new one was constructed and accepted into traffic on the GWSR.

I don't condone the scrap lines at some heritage railways however. The Battlefield Line was the worst I have seen, in particular the Peak rotting at Shakerstone.

Vespa

Established Member
Many of these were no doubt being stored rent free due to the goodwill of the line owners, however there comes a point where space is needed and the line's survival is more important than a run down lcoo.

I believe there is a loco storage place you can rent a track space under roof where you can store trains, Locomotive storage Ltd in Crewe is one such place, it won't be cheap and they may both went a scrap taking up space unless they are amply rewarded for it.

Titfield

Established Member
One of the issues is that many of these "derelict" locos etc owners simply havent got the money at all. Any money raised goes towards restoration and not paying for storage.

DB

Sims/Booth's/EMR might give something for them, that's true.

I expect quite a few of them will be run on quieter services until they develop some major fault, sit in a siding for a few years then get sent to the scrapyard!

BigB

I have known of issues with "private owner" locos being at sites and then due to corrosion exposing asbestos which then became an issue for the site owners, and required some cajoling to get this removed with the threat that the loco would have to leave if this wasn't done. I don't know how easy that is to do if say work has commenced and means a loco must be moved by crane rather than shunted.

Personally, if I ran/owned my own site I would be very careful with any private owner locos/stock, unless there was evidence of funding available for the work, or the owners had a good track record of restoration, maintenance and site etiquette. Just having conditions for working on site including basic HSE compliance may put some people off working there, and they forget that although it's their engine, legallly the railway that are working at has liability for their safety.

But if items are to be stored awaiting restoration with active fund raising ongoing, then a tin of paint every so often does go a long way to stopping the rot on open wagons, and a tarpaulin (or two) can prevent further ingress of water to carriages or engines. I admit, this does all involve some money, but wire brushing and generally cleaning up is free, so as long as there isn't access to do it, then there is no excuse for not doing it.

My personal bug bear is storing rust hulks on the second line which means that a) the public are exposed to it every trip and b) it prevents work as you are now on the running line, which causes a clash at say weekends when the owner says may have time to get out, but can't get access. That does just exacerbate the issue, and eventually these items will be beyond saving.

Of course if money was no object I'd build a new site with either a US style round house with individual sheds for overhauls, or a Crewe style system with a traverser, with each side of the traverser leading to an open area and then a shed, which would be secure and lockable with metered supplies. Locos etc. could be overhauled, brought out for startup/steaming etc. and rents payable along with services used.

I feel however it may need a big site, and somewhere to store items that the owner's default payments on... but it would clear up a lot of the heritage sites, which in turn may increase demand for engines, which may mean some of these projects do actually get completed.

Or of course my fantasy site just gets filled up with rusty hulks that the owners walk away from and I need to work out how to get a 9F (other engines are sadly available all too readily) with no wheels
out of a shed.....

Titfield

Established Member
The supply of Pacers probably means that you could pick the best one or two and cannibalise the rest for spare parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.