• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wensleydale Railway Northallerton West station

Status
Not open for further replies.

wra_relay

On Saturday November 22nd 2014, an amended service will be in operation to allow a special train to run from Northallerton West. The only train for public use will be the 12:00 ex Leeming Bar stopping at all the usual stations, arriving in Redmire at 13:30. This train will then leave Redmire at 13:40, again stopping at all the usual stations, and arrive in Leeming Bar at 14:32. This train will then continue on to Northallerton West arriving at 15:04, leaving at 15:20 and terminating at Leeming Bar at 15:42. Full timetable available here.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DarloRich

Veteran Member
On Saturday November 22nd 2014, an amended service will be in operation to allow a special train to run from Northallerton West. The only train for public use will be the 12:00 ex Leeming Bar stopping at all the usual stations, arriving in Redmire at 13:30. This train will then leave Redmire at 13:40, again stopping at all the usual stations, and arrive in Leeming Bar at 14:32. This train will then continue on to Northallerton West arriving at 15:04, leaving at 15:20 and terminating at Leeming Bar at 15:42. Full timetable available here.

The first use of Northallerton West?

I was up in the late summer and was really surprised by the level of work needed to sort out the Land slip at Akebar - good work to do all of that and get Northallerton West operating!

wra_relay

The first use of Northallerton West?

I was up in the late summer and was really surprised by the level of work needed to sort out the Land slip at Akebar - good work to do all of that and get Northallerton West operating!
Yes as far as I know it is

wra_relay

Photos of yesterday's 'first train' to Northallerton West can be found on the Wensleydale Railway's Facebook page

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Will have to put the Wensleydale on my to do list now that it's accessible by train.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Will have to put the Wensleydale on my to do list now that it's accessible by train.

always has been ;)

Northalellerton West will be about 15 minutes on foot from the main line station. Leeming can be reached via the hourly number 73 bus from out side Northallerton station

Worth a visit - try and add a trip to Bolton Castle on if you can or a walk from Redmire. (although you will know that i am sure - aimed more at the less geographically au fait members!)

alexl92

Established Member
Bolton Castle is fantastic. And last time I went (a numebr of years ago) you could walk along quite a lot of the old/future trackbed.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
always has been ;)

Northalellerton West will be about 15 minutes on foot from the main line station. Leeming can be reached via the hourly number 73 bus from out side Northallerton station

Worth a visit - try and add a trip to Bolton Castle on if you can or a walk from Redmire. (although you will know that i am sure - aimed more at the less geographically au fait members!)

Ah yes, I did visit Bolton Castle once and can heartily recommend it !

wra_relay

Would people planning to use Northallerton West please help the Wensleydale Railway by arriving on foot or by cycle. Springwell Lane is a PRIVATE road from the Northallerton low-level line's crossing to the footpath access to the station. No cars are allowed even to drop off or pick passengers. Full details on the Railway's Facebook page. Many thanks

paul1609

Established Member
I like the Wensleydale railway probably mostly because financially its operation appears to be a complete basket case!

MK Tom

Established Member
I'll try to get up there for a visit next year, but Nothallerton is a sod to get to from Milton Keynes. I had trouble enough figuring out an affordable route to Doncaster to visit Sandtoft this year. Northallerton's quite a bit further still!

alexl92

Established Member
One of my favourite things about the WR is the fact that their Mk2 coaches and one of their DMUs are in custom WR liveries - the MK2s in red&cream (but not quite crimson red to my eyes) and the Class 101 in blue & cream, both with 'Wensleydale Railway' written neatly on the side.
They look great and it makes the WR stand out a bit.

Anyone know what the story behind these liveries are? Just because they could, or an actual reason?

theblackwatch

Established Member
At first, the Wensleydale seemed keen to promote itself as a 'community' railway rather than a preserved one - hence its own colour schemes. That seems to have shifted a bit over the past few years following changes in management, with the railway now keen to attract more passengers(and therefore revenue) by doing things like running steam, the Class 37 running weekend which has just taken place, etc. The original idea of running 4 returns with a DMU 360+ days a year was, in my view, never really going to work...

alexl92

Established Member
Ah, fair enough. No, I can see how attempting to run a DMU service every day is pushing it.

I hope they continue to use their own branding though. I have nothing against traditional liveries and I'm glad most railways stick to them, but it's really good to see WR being a little bit different. Especially with the MK2s, as they only ever appeared in Blue/Grey in service.

Ah, fair enough. No, I can see how attempting to run a DMU service every day is pushing it.

I hope they continue to use their own branding though. I have nothing against traditional liveries and I'm glad most railways stick to them, but it's really good to see WR being a little bit different. Especially with the MK2s, as they only ever appeared in Blue/Grey in service.

Expect a reversal in colours with Mk2s then

alexl92

Established Member
Expect a reversal in colours with Mk2s then

Do you mean that unlike the MK1s which went (indirectly) from Crimson & Cream to Blue/Grey, the Mk2s have gone from Blue/grey to Crimson&Cream?

duffield

Established Member
2015 services will start from Northallerton West station on Saturday February 14th http://www.wensleydalerail.com/event/trains-running-orange-timetable-2015-02-14 There is NO road access to this station - please join the train at Leeming Bar if you wish to park a car

Looking at Google Satellite view, it seems there may be a couple of potential short-cuts (compared to the recommended route) on the walking route from Northallerton Mainline station to Northallerton West. E.g. it looks as if you might be able to cut between Romanby Road and Springwell Lane via Allerton Way and Phoenix Grove. But it's not clear if these two roads are joined by a footpath or if it's somebody's private garden/fenced off (currently Google shows two houses apparently under construction at this point but it looks like there might be a footpath through when finished - which they must surely be by now). I wonder if there are any locals who know if you can cut through this way without trespassing?
Not that it's a big deal - maybe 1/4mile saved - but it gets you off the main road as well.

Update: Bing maps seems to show it as a through road (not just a connecting footpath between cul-de-sacs) and as far as I can tell this is a more recent picture than Google's ('under construction' houses look completed). So this does look like the shortest walking route, no trespassing involved!
By looking at some even older satellite photos I can see this entire area including Allerton Way and Phoenix Grove is a newish development, replaced some industrial buildings sometime between 1999 and now.

Last edited:

wensley

Established Member
Looking at Google Satellite view, it seems there may be a couple of potential short-cuts (compared to the recommended route) on the walking route from Northallerton Mainline station to Northallerton West. E.g. it looks as if you might be able to cut between Romanby Road and Springwell Lane via Allerton Way and Phoenix Grove. But it's not clear if these two roads are joined by a footpath or if it's somebody's private garden/fenced off (currently Google shows two houses apparently under construction at this point but it looks like there might be a footpath through when finished - which they must surely be by now). I wonder if there are any locals who know if you can cut through this way without trespassing?
Not that it's a big deal - maybe 1/4mile saved - but it gets you off the main road as well.

Update: Bing maps seems to show it as a through road (not just a connecting footpath between cul-de-sacs) and as far as I can tell this is a more recent picture than Google's ('under construction' houses look completed). So this does look like the shortest walking route, no trespassing involved!
By looking at some even older satellite photos I can see this entire area including Allerton Way and Phoenix Grove is a newish development, replaced some industrial buildings sometime between 1999 and now.

In short ... yes, you can. It's a proper road!

At first, the Wensleydale seemed keen to promote itself as a 'community' railway rather than a preserved one - hence its own colour schemes. That seems to have shifted a bit over the past few years following changes in management, with the railway now keen to attract more passengers(and therefore revenue) by doing things like running steam, the Class 37 running weekend which has just taken place, etc. The original idea of running 4 returns with a DMU 360+ days a year was, in my view, never really going to work...

It has improved greatly, still work to do, but better than it was. Had afew good days/afternoons up in recent years and with the station at Northallerton now built, can only get better.

alexl92

Established Member
That would be fascinating AND it goes through Leeds... if only I could afford! :)

QJ

Potential interest for track bashers there.

Pity the date clashes with at least two other track bashing charters otherwise it might have been of more interest. I haven't yet knowingly managed the trick of being in three different places at once. Here's to a re-run if the RTC charter is a success.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.