Wensleydale Railway - Redmire??

Marmaduke

I visited the upper Wensleydale area last week Hawes etc and called in at Redmire Station the present western terminus of the Wensleydale Railway.

A question to anyone in the know......Has the Wensleydale Railway any plans for doing something with Redmire?

I think it has a bit of potential. Granted they dont own or occupy the station (shame) but theres a heck of a large car park area with brilliant views across the dale and to Penn hill. I also understand they own the old dairy buildings?

Its a shame that when you get to Redmire theres nothing to stop off for unless you are walking? I think it could do with some form of amenity / cafe facility.

I used to go to the Aysgarth Bank Holiday OPEN DAYS and the team there had it just right with their cafe - Now thats gone, Redmire anyone....?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Marmaduke

Ages since I've been there, but didn't they have a buffet there (static carriage) at one point?
Not sure about that? There was a brilliant cafe at Aysgarth which a group used to run who also looked after the site....But Redmire not sure if there was ever a buffet there?

paul1609

Established Member
Not sure about that? There was a brilliant cafe at Aysgarth which a group used to run who also looked after the site....But Redmire not sure if there was ever a buffet there?
Unfortunately I think on shore heritage railway catering was following the railway shops in to difficult times even before Covid. Consumer tastes have changed and the margins have been squeezed by a double whammy of both supermarket value meals, Costa type cafes and increases in the minimum wage. I think the catering offer you will increasingly find will be some sort of kiosk offering teas coffee cakes with pop up pubs for enthusiast events.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I got off at Redmire a few years ago and walked into the village, it is not far, there was lovely Pub that did home made food, had an excellent steak pie there with a glass or 2? of wine. I think it was called the Bolton Arms perhaps?

paul1609

Established Member
I got off at Redmire a few years ago and walked into the village, it is not far, there was lovely Pub that did home made food, had an excellent steak pie there with a glass or 2? of wine. I think it was called the Bolton Arms perhaps?
Yes it is Ive had the steak pie also. I think the Wensleydale have had a mobile catering van in the car park when I've been there before. The footfall on my recent non event days would be hard pushed to support even that I fear.

alexl92

Established Member
The Bolton Arms was extraordinarily good when I last visited. I think the railway encourage people to visit there rather than having their own catering outlet as footfall wouldn't support both

LMS 4F

I have caught the vintage bus at Redmire and gone from there into Hawes. This was a few years ago and as I recall it had started in Harrogate. I'm not sure when it last ran but it was very well supported when I used it.

paul1609

Established Member
I have caught the vintage bus at Redmire and gone from there into Hawes. This was a few years ago and as I recall it had started in Harrogate. I'm not sure when it last ran but it was very well supported when I used it.
Think this would have been some years ago. I got the replacement community bus to Hawes as far as Aysgarth from the road by Redmire Station about 5 years ago, there were 3 passengers in early summer

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I caught that bus too from Redmire to Hawes, it was some years ago.

DavidB

I caught that bus too from Redmire to Hawes, it was some years ago.
I've done that, and there was then another vintage bus which went from Hawes to Garsdale station - I did train to Northallerton, then bus to Leeming Bar, train to Redmire, buses to Garsdale then train back home again. Must have been a decade ago now, I guess.

Killingworth

Established Member
Priorities, priorities! See the Wensleydale Railway website.

Getting into Northallerton, renovating Leeming Bar, proceeding further up Wensleydale to Askrigg and Hawes, developing Redmire - but at present just keeping what exists in good order and running is challenging enough.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I've done that, and there was then another vintage bus which went from Hawes to Garsdale station - I did train to Northallerton, then bus to Leeming Bar, train to Redmire, buses to Garsdale then train back home again. Must have been a decade ago now, I guess.
Yes very similar to what I did and thinking about it, I must have done that as well about 10 years ago too. How time flies.