• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wensleydale Railway seems on the up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marmaduke

I see that the Wensleydale Railway has succumbed to some mindless vandalism by some low lifes. The police have names, so I do hope they actually bring this scum to justice and as well as giving them a decent fine, as part of their punishment set them to work to help repair the damage they've done - Perhaps they may even learn something from it.
Good to see that company again, MATRIX POWER supporting the WR by donating to the fund. I noted they were involved with the platform lighting at the WR - I wish the railway I am involved with had companies like that who supported them - Good on the WR for attracting commercial sponsorship. Well done to Matrix Power!!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Halifaxlad

Established Member
I see that the Wensleydale Railway has succumbed to some mindless vandalism by some low lifes. The police have names, so I do hope they actually bring this scum to justice and as well as giving them a decent fine, as part of their punishment set them to work to help repair the damage they've done - Perhaps they may even learn something from it.
Good to see that company again, MATRIX POWER supporting the WR by donating to the fund. I noted they were involved with the platform lighting at the WR - I wish the railway I am involved with had companies like that who supported them - Good on the WR for attracting commercial sponsorship. Well done to Matrix Power!!

Aye, should set them to work rebuilding the line by hand, maybe even double track it at the same time.

Killingworth

Established Member
On a journey down the A1(M) yesterday we diverted to Bedale. Saw smoke and heard a whistle so walked from Market place down to the station and inevitably found we'd just missed a train.

We discovered a very well maintained building with enthusiastic staff. The refreshment room has been extensively refurbished and reopened in June and operated by tenants on a commercial basis. It deserves to do well.

Bedale Station is a gem, all that's right with heritage railways. It starts with a well laid out car park, its only fault possibly being too small, something it shares with most stations everywhere.

We had a pleasant lunch and as we finished the next eastbound train arrived. We climbed aboard. The platform is a long way below the tain. The 5 carriages all seemed be Mk2s in 3 different liveries. Nostalgic, but a reminder that maintaining such old stock is a nightmare. Externally the paintwork was good on one, corrosion apparent on the other four. The interiors all seemed very tired and challenging to maintain.

We were hauled by a 37 which ran around at Leeming giving time to visit the facilities. The train had been very lightly loaded, yet there seemed to be quite a few on the platform. The refreshment room carriage had a note on the counter to say they were short of volunteers so it was shut, but orders were being taken. It was very cramped for space and there was some confusion for those wanting tickets.

The whole impression of Leeming was quite different from Bedale. There's a lot to do make it attractive. The general impression of the lines of rusting rolling stock in the sidings wasn't good.

We returned to Bedale, patronised their shop and left a small donation. A lot more is needed to consolidate what's now in use. Bringing more up to Bedale standard and restoring the rolling stock is going to take a lot of volunteer time and an enormous amount of cash.

A big advantage over many lines is proximity to the A1, running beneath it with stations quite close on both sides. That needs to be strongly promoted

alexl92

Established Member
Controversially... I actually love seeing lines of old stock waiting for restoration, but I know that many people don't appreciate it so much!

Freeman

Hawes Station is owned by the Yorkshire Dales National Park, and coincidentally the Ropemakers opposite in the station yard is owned by Ruth Annison, the lady who first initiated the ambition to reopen the Wensleydale Railway. She was the chairman of the WRA/WRC for quite a few years.

It is now a PLC so of course anyone can purchase shares in the company. Has nobody guessed that Mr.Smith could, if he wishes, buy enough shares to take a controlling interest which would then give him ownership of the entire line? That would leave only a few short stretches between Castle Bolton and Aysgarth in other hands.

Not many know it but the WR already owns one section of trackbed west of Redmire, and leases the rest, I think at a peppercorn rent, from Lord Bolton. This was partly to encourage the WR to open a halt at Castle Bolton which would bring loads of visitors to the castle. I believe His Lordship was at the time (some 20 years ago) willing to contribute most or all of the cost of the Halt.

As alexl92 says (above) the now grassed over cutting immediately east of Bolton Castle is the section in WR hands and in the 1990s a WRA team restored it, repairing drains and trackbed. They brought in a truck load of concrete sleepers - which were never laid and are still there as far as I know. Now, it would need restoring again but nothing that volunteers could not do.

The biggest obstacles to opening this extension are the missing bridge over Apedale Beck, and rebuilding the embankment beyond which is totally undermined by rabbit damage.

MP33

It appears there is another Wensleydale Railway seeking to rebuild the west end of the line towards Hawes.That certainly would be a challenge,although it could create a short cut for Mr Smith's Locomotives should they fancy a visit.
https://upperwensleydalerailway.org.uk/
Looking at the photograph. It would appear that to get to Garsdale station there would be a bit of running on the main line, unless there is space for another track to be laid. Having a Garsdale North station and a connection not in general use would be some distance from Garsdale station and there does not appear to me to be an easy pedestrian route.

Is there also an issue with a roof collapse in the only tunnel on the line?

Freeman

There was indeed a short stretch into Garsdale Station, but parallel to the main line running in to the east side of the platform (trackbed now used as a car park). The mainline S & C is on the west platform. There is an underbridge for pedestrian and motor traffic to reach there.

Yes, that is Mossdale Tunnel. About 20 years ago I walked through the tunnel on a guided WRA tour, the roof was fine then. Have not heard of a collapse since but it's possible, anybody know?

AndyY1951

Regarding the S160, and whether being American might put people off, I confess I am biased because I think they are fantastic machines, but 'Big Jim' at the Worth Valley has always been popular with visitors.

Andy

alexl92

Established Member
Regarding the S160, and whether being American might put people off, I confess I am biased because I think they are fantastic machines, but 'Big Jim' at the Worth Valley has always been popular with visitors.

Andy

Does anyone know when it's arriving? It was originally said 'Summer' but clearly not - is it coming to do the Polar Express season instead?

sprinterguy

Established Member
T
Yes, that is Mossdale Tunnel. About 20 years ago I walked through the tunnel on a guided WRA tour, the roof was fine then. Have not heard of a collapse since but it's possible, anybody know?
There's the following account from 2015:
http://www.forgottenrelics.co.uk/tunnels/gallery/mossdalehead.html
The last passenger train passed through on 16th March 1959. Since then the tunnel has paid the price for surrounding ground movement and the absence of a maintenance regime. For around 30 yards east of its midpoint, the crown of the arch has been forced upwards, resulting in serious distortion in the lining. Lesser failings are also apparent in other areas
And photos contemporary with that report showing a partial collapse of the tunnel lining in that area:
https://www.28dayslater.co.uk/threads/mossdale-head-tunnel-yorks-aug15.99004/

Status
Not open for further replies.