• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wensleydale steam

Status
Not open for further replies.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
What a brilliant day.

Amazingly all the transport so far today worked perfectly from London.

08.48 KGX- Darlo.
11.20 X26 Darlo- Richmond

Quick look round Richmond then

12.15 859 to Leyburn.

Managed to do a round trip on the line with BIL then an hour and a half for the end of the excellent 40's weekend in Leyburn with a few pints in the sunshine.

Now on 18.05 856 from Leyburn to Northallerton to catch the 19.11 back to KGX.

Will definitely look at doing an overnight another year for the 40's event in Leyburn -it looked a lot of fun.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

E759

What a brilliant day.

Amazingly all the transport so far today worked perfectly from London.

08.48 KGX- Darlo.
11.20 X26 Darlo- Richmond

Quick look round Richmond then

12.15 859 to Leyburn.

Managed to do a round trip on the line with BIL then an hour and a half for the end of the excellent 40's weekend in Leyburn with a few pints in the sunshine.

Now on 18.05 856 from Leyburn to Northallerton to catch the 19.11 back to KGX.

Will definitely look at doing an overnight another year for the 40's event in Leyburn -it looked a lot of fun.
Excellent! I liked the bit about pints in the sunshine, Bolton Arms at Redmire I assume? [Wouldn't have occurred to me to go via Richmond at all.] Was the Teddy Bear running a second service? And hope the LNER is all fine tonight. I do like a challenging day trip myself Oop North ;)

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Excellent! I liked the bit about pints in the sunshine, Bolton Arms at Redmire I assume? [Wouldn't have occurred to me to go via Richmond at all.] Was the Teddy Bear running a second service? And hope the LNER is all fine tonight. I do like a challenging day trip myself Oop North ;)
They had a 2 car DMU with a bubble car attached.

On a TPE from Northallerton to York (with no working Aircon naturally) there are issues with LNER service I was due to get so should be able to get on the late running ex Aberdeen HST at York.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I wonder if the bus services in that area have been reduced, when I went a few years ago on a Saturday, there were plenty of buses from Northallerton to Leyburn which connected well with the first train and back again in the evening, there was also a vintage return bus journey from Redmire that went past the falls, onto Hawes where there are some great pubs for a bite to eat and drink, some journeys also went to Garsdale. There was and hopefully still is, a very good pub in Redmire too.

daodao

Established Member
I wonder if the bus services in that area have been reduced, when I went a few years ago on a Saturday, there were plenty of buses from Northallerton to Leyburn which connected well with the first train and back again in the evening, there was also a vintage return bus journey from Redmire that went past the falls, onto Hawes where there are some great pubs for a bite to eat and drink, some journeys also went to Garsdale. There was and hopefully still is, a very good pub in Redmire too.

There are no longer any buses between Bedale and Leyburn on Saturdays, and only a limited service on Monday-Friday during the middle of the day (0900-1500), run by NYCC as no commercial operator is willing to provide the service.

There is a regular Mon-Sat daytime bus service (every 30 minutes) between Northallerton and Leeming Bar/Bedale, which should in theory enable connections to the Wensleydale Rly there, but the last train from Redmire misses the last bus from Leeming Bar/Bedale by a few minutes.

Bus connections at Garsdale rly station are very limited, and only run as far as Hawes.

Preserved railways are much more likely to be accessible by public transport if they run to a NR station or to within walking distance of one. Re-opening the line to Northallerton would be very desirable from this perspective, but probably difficult for this financially challenged railway.

E759

...There is a regular Mon-Sat daytime bus service (every 30 minutes) between Northallerton and Leeming Bar/Bedale, which should in theory enable connections to the Wensleydale Rly there, but the last train from Redmire misses the last bus from Leeming Bar/Bedale by a few minutes. ....
Except during August when on Green timetable: Last train from Redmire 16:20 arrives Leeming Bar 17:37 and the last 73 bus to Northallerton is 18:10.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Does anyone local got any reliable cab firms that won't rip.me off for the journey back from Leeming Bar- Northallerton on Sun evening? Should be ok with the bus getting there.

there is a stand outside the south bound platform entrance of the station. You wont find any other cabs that don't pick up there. Northallerton is a half horse town ;)

yes they have been cut back due to council funding cuts.

Just released on the Wensleydale Railway Facebook page regarding this weekend's 1940s event.
Confirmation received 35018 British India Line will be our guest engine.

Good news and a bit of a coup for the line.

I'm going mid week in August and the 73 Bus from Northallerton arrives Leeming Bar 9 minutes after the 10:45 to Redmire has departed thus giving a wait of one hour and 51 minutes until the next train... However, all non-rail connected heritage railways pose similar problems to Wensleydale. My trip to the North Yorkshire Moors Railway was almost a brief affair due to late running TPEx and late running 840 Bus. The day was only saved by a Taxi from Malton.

The best transport integration I've come across in 2018 is the Isle of Wight Steam Railway - train connects to boat, boat connects to Underground and Underground connects to Steam - followed by the Lakeside and Haverthwaite Railway - train connects to bus, bus connects to boat, boat connects to steam. So there you have it, if a heritage railway requires a boat then you're good to go!

Or 21 minutes before the 10:45 at 10:24 which arguably is far better and allows time to walk from the bus stop, purchase tickets, coffees etc. I actually think this is pretty perfect.

E759

Or 21 minutes before the 10:45 at 10:24 which arguably is far better and allows time to walk from the bus stop, purchase tickets, coffees etc. I actually think this is pretty perfect.
21 minutes before the first reasonably priced Advance Single from KGX arrives alas! But I take your point :)

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Worth pointing out- and it says a lot about that railway & the area in general that the guards working the BIL hauled service offered to give me a lift back to Northallerton when they clocked off if my bus didn't work out.

That line deserves to be a great success if they can tie in with a local bus service in some way- it's such a lovely part of the country and I'll certainly be going back to explore further

DarloRich

Veteran Member
That line deserves to be a great success if they can tie in with a local bus service in some way- it's such a lovely part of the country and I'll certainly be going back to explore further

they DID have a very good bus tie in once upon a time. Dales and District (?) ran a very good service but I suspect council cut backs in funding played a big part in the reduction of rural bus services in the Northallerton area.

However having checked service no.73 seems to run every half hour between Northallerton and Bedale ( via Leeming) until 1800

E759

I've just seen their tweet asking photographers not to trespass. I can guess what that is about.

alexl92

Established Member
I've just seen their tweet asking photographers not to trespass. I can guess what that is about.

Has something specific happened? Most railways ask similar but that post was a bit out of the blue.

E759

I don't know. But I assume some twitchers hiding in the bushes have been leaping out with their cameras instead of buying tickets to ride.

I don't know. But I assume some twitchers hiding in the bushes have been leaping out with their cameras instead of buying tickets to ride.

Reading the comments on the FB post I would say it is more likely that landowners have complained.

Status
Not open for further replies.