• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Werrington grade separation updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

cle

Established Member
I understood that the second Birmingham - Leicester (the terminator) would be extended at least to Cambridge - if Stansted wasn't workable. This would provide a good useable 2tph for Stamford and Oakham - and allow different options east of Peterborough, maybe even running to Norwich (giving Cambridge the Nottingham/Liverpool service instead) - or making local stops and taking some off the Stansted route.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I understood that the second Birmingham - Leicester (the terminator) would be extended at least to Cambridge - if Stansted wasn't workable. This would provide a good useable 2tph for Stamford and Oakham - and allow different options east of Peterborough, maybe even running to Norwich (giving Cambridge the Nottingham/Liverpool service instead) - or making local stops and taking some off the Stansted route.

Same issues between Peterborough and Ely as with all operators who want to increase the service - Ely Capacity (particularly at North Jn) and the dozens of level crossings between the two.

Aictos

Established Member
Same issues between Peterborough and Ely as with all operators who want to increase the service - Ely Capacity (particularly at North Jn) and the dozens of level crossings between the two.

I be happy with it just going as far as Peterborough until they sort out the capacity issues at Ely failing that, could Network Rail reinstate one of the bays at March and use that as a turnback facility for the extended services?

TheBigD

Established Member

It was planned for December 2008 that a number of Birmingham-Leicester services would have been extended to Cambridge (0652, 0852, 1052, 1252, & 1852) but that was shelved following the 2008 financial crisis. Some of the paths even back then were crap. For example the 1252 east bound took 31 minutes March-Ely, and west bound all took 25 minutes to do Peterborough - Stamford. Given the extra freights now running you'd struggle to get the paths even if you solved the level crossings issue.

Last edited:

TheBigD

Established Member

You may or may not know but how do they get around the level crossing issue when there's diversions? A couple of Saturdays in February 2018 saw 196 trains (0600-2200), with the ECML and Liner diversions, compared to the normal 120ish trains along the March Line.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
You may or may not know but how do they get around the level crossing issue when there's diversions? A couple of Saturdays in February 2018 saw 196 trains (0600-2200), with the ECML and Liner diversions, compared to the normal 120ish trains along the March Line.

Because it is only for a few days per year, not 363.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
It was planned for December 2008 that a number of Birmingham-Leicester services would have been extended to Cambridge (0652, 0852, 1052, 1252, & 1852) but that was shelved following the 2008 financial crisis. Some of the paths even back then were crap. For example the 1252 east bound took 31 minutes March-Ely, and west bound all took 25 minutes to do Peterborough - Stamford. Given the extra freights now running you'd struggle to get the paths even if you solved the level crossings issue.

That was of course before Platforms 6/7 existed at Peterborough too!

cle

Established Member
Yep even 2tph B'ham to Peterborough would be useful. Hopefully that can be revisited, and onwards - given the P'boro platforms as above, Cambridge platforms (I'd imagine the northerly bays) - but crucially, when is Ely North being done? A lot depends on it!

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Yep even 2tph B'ham to Peterborough would be useful. Hopefully that can be revisited, and onwards - given the P'boro platforms as above, Cambridge platforms (I'd imagine the northerly bays) - but crucially, when is Ely North being done? A lot depends on it!

It’s a LOT more than just Ely North.

Class 170101

Established Member
Close the crossings - motorists haven't exactly decreased the risks of Level Crossings with the way they behave.

Aictos

Established Member
I have questions about the project which confuses me at the moment, in the two photos below you see the waterway between the ECML and the industrial park..

https://www.flickr.com/photos/aebrookes/45321001575/in/album-72157676481607268/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/aebrookes/46245787734/in/album-72157676481607268/

Now what is Network Rail planning to do with the waterway? Are they planning on putting it into a culvert bearing in mind at the bridge end it opens up into a large pond with flood control equipment.

Also what's with all the work that they're doing at the back at these industrial units?

Thanks for the photos, look forward to seeing more as the project proceeds to take form.

adambro

Now what is Network Rail planning to do with the waterway? Are they planning on putting it into a culvert bearing in mind at the bridge end it opens up into a large pond with flood control equipment.

Also what's with all the work that they're doing at the back at these industrial units?

Yes, this is going to be a buried culvert with the Down Stamford above. Behind the industrial units is going to be a permanent maintenance access track for NR and others. I imagine they'll also be using the area behind the units for utility diversions. North of the footbridge where land is available the "Brook Drain" is being moved rather than culverted.

59CosG95

Established Member
The state of play as of this afternoon (1/4/19).20190401_133321.jpg
1) Vegetation adjacent to the Down Stamford has all been cleared as far as the former Hurn Rd LC. This is preparation for the Stamfords being slewed 15m west at the turn of the year.

The main works compound is in the background to the left.

20190401_133759.jpg
2) The watercourse behind the hoarding has now been drained, prior to being culverted later in the year - the excavator is using spoil to create an access route for plant to reach the hoarding.

The new Down Stamford alignment will run on top of the culvert.

20190401_133100.jpg
3) The western ramp of Cock Lane footbridge is due to be removed in the coming weeks - access to the footpath will be via an extended bridge deck and a temporary staircase.

Later in the project, the bridge will be replaced, and the first headspan behind the bridge will be removed, to be replaced with a 4-track portal.

Aictos

Established Member
A lot of changes happening then, any news on the works with the Brook Drain as a result of those works please?

Are they simply rebuilding the infrastructure elsewhere on the land and then getting rid of the current infrastructure?

Also on the topic of the water course, that's the first time in 3 decades I've seen it drained!

Please keep the updates coming as I'm rather keen to keep on top of what is happening with this project.

Crun

The state of play as of this afternoon (1/4/19).View attachment 60954
1) Vegetation adjacent to the Down Stamford has all been cleared as far as the former Hurn Rd LC. This is preparation for the Stamfords being slewed 15m west at the turn of the year.

The main works compound is in the background to the left.

View attachment 60955
2) The watercourse behind the hoarding has now been drained, prior to being culverted later in the year - the excavator is using spoil to create an access route for plant to reach the hoarding.

The new Down Stamford alignment will run on top of the culvert.

View attachment 60956
3) The western ramp of Cock Lane footbridge is due to be removed in the coming weeks - access to the footpath will be via an extended bridge deck and a temporary staircase.

Later in the project, the bridge will be replaced, and the first headspan behind the bridge will be removed, to be replaced with a 4-track portal.

Many thanks for your efforts and photographs. Plenty of progress it seems!

richieb1971

Established Member

Drone shot at 8 mins 54 seconds. There is another earlier the video if you watch it from the beginning.

adambro

Had a look around again today. The Cock Lane footbridge is now closed temporarily, with work to remove the ramp on the western side appearing to be starting this afternoon. According to the notice the footpath will reopen next Sunday. Temporary steps have been built to replace the ramp.

The footbridge closure makes it hard to see some of the site. There's quite a bit of activity near the Werrington junction but it is difficult to see exactly what.

A very noticeable increase in activity and progress since my last visit in February.

I've added a few more photos to my Flickr account: https://www.flickr.com/photos/aebrookes/sets/72157676481607268/

Aictos

Established Member
Had a look around again today. The Cock Lane footbridge is now closed temporarily, with work to remove the ramp on the western side appearing to be starting this afternoon. According to the notice the footpath will reopen next Sunday. Temporary steps have been built to replace the ramp.

The footbridge closure makes it hard to see some of the site. There's quite a bit of activity near the Werrington junction but it is difficult to see exactly what.

A very noticeable increase in activity and progress since my last visit in February.

I've added a few more photos to my Flickr account: https://www.flickr.com/photos/aebrookes/sets/72157676481607268/

Thanks for the photos, in this photo - https://www.flickr.com/photos/aebrookes/47547205412/in/album-72157676481607268/ is that going to have a rail line built on what looks like a road in that photo?

adambro

Aictos

Established Member
Yes, that's where the two tracks, Up Diveunder and Down Diveunder, will pass beneath the A15. The road you see is being diverted but they'll be a bridleway alongside the new railway line through the bridge.

Okay, thanks for the updates and explanation.

adambro

I was passing so visited again today. The Cock Lane footbridge has now reopened with the ramp removed and the new temporary span and stairs erected. All looks rather good to say it is only a temporary structure.

The 132 kV power lines feel rather close. I'm wondering if the nearest line is currently out of service as it appears it might be connected to the nearest pylon.

The power line has been a significant constraint on the design of the new bridge, forcing it to be located in the railway hazard zone meaning protection against an impact by a train has had to be included. An interesting paper discussing the bridge's design and construction can be found at http://iabse.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/Alex_Turobin_Harrington.pdf

More photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/aebrookes/albums/72157676481607268

59CosG95

Established Member
I was passing so visited again today. The Cock Lane footbridge has now reopened with the ramp removed and the new temporary span and stairs erected. All looks rather good to say it is only a temporary structure.

The 132 kV power lines feel rather close. I'm wondering if the nearest line is currently out of service as it appears it might be connected to the nearest pylon.

The power line has been a significant constraint on the design of the new bridge, forcing it to be located in the railway hazard zone meaning protection against an impact by a train has had to be included. An interesting paper discussing the bridge's design and construction can be found at http://iabse.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/Alex_Turobin_Harrington.pdf

More photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/aebrookes/albums/72157676481607268
As someone directly involved with the project, I can indeed confirm that the nearest 132kV cables to the Stamford lines have been isolated & earthed during construction.

Aictos

Established Member
Wow, the locality is certainly changing! Thanks for the updates!

59CosG95

Established Member
Some pictures from Cock Ln Footbridge this afternoon.
20190529_143020.jpg
1) The 10-foot between the ECML & the Stamford Lines has been heavily de-vegged in recent weeks, pending the start of digging the South Ramp for the diveunder. Note the headspan leg in the foreground of the shot - this will be removed in advance of the new, final footbridge being installed. (See post #105)
20190529_141509.jpg
2) Excavation of the new north channel of Marholm Brook is nearing completion.
20190529_143046.jpg
3) Troughing in the Up Slow Cess has now been installed; these will I assume be part of the new signals for the diveunder at the north portal end. Looking NW.
20190529_143029.jpg
4) Track Monitoring Devices ("pyramids" as I call them) have gone up in the 10-foot looking towards Hurn Rd - these will monitor any track settlement caused by piling and other construction works.
20190529_143120.jpg
5) Another overview of the site, looking west.
20190529_143057.jpg
6) Troughing in the Up Slow Cess has now been installed; these will I assume be part of the new signals for the diveunder at the north portal end. Looking SE.
20190529_141325.jpg
7) Another shot looking at the excavation of the northern Marholm Brook drain.
20190529_141451.jpg
8) The Marholm Brook southern drain channel has now been mostly broken out; flooding in the last day has hampered works recently though!
20190529_141430.jpg
9) As above. Note that "pyramids" have also gone up in the 10-foot south of the footbridge as well as the north.
20190529_141505.jpg
10) Another site overview.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.