• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Werrington grade separation updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

59CosG95

Established Member
Looks like pile-driving is under way on the western side of the ECML. I wonder if the tunnelling will start soon? Any other news and photographs welcome.
The piles in question are for the 'Stamford Underbridge'; the slewed Stamford lines will run over each end on a bridge deck, with the aperture below the deck being used for maintenance access and mergency egress from the jacked tunnel.

cactustwirly

Established Member
Why is this needed?
Aren't the Leicester lines separated from the ECML anyway?

59CosG95

Established Member
Why is this needed?
Aren't the Leicester lines separated from the ECML anyway?
The project? It's needed to allow freight trains from Felixstowe and East Anglia to access the GN/GE Joint Line without crossing the ECML at a crawl, thereby increasing resilience on the ECML and eventually allowing for additional LDHS passenger services (LNER or open access) to operate over the route.

This latter bonus is dependent on the King's Cross Remodelling and the (currently paused) Huntingdon-Woodwalton 4-tracking.

Crun

Many thanks for sharing your knowledge. It's going lo look very different for rail users and local people going about their business alongside the tracks on re-routed roads. I seem to remember seeing a notice mentioning a new footbridge over the ECML at Marholm with cyclists being able to ride up and over it separated from those on foot. I hope this happens as pushing a bike up slippery steps in winter is a slog.

Last edited:

adambro

A few new photos from today added to my album: https://www.flickr.com/photos/aebrookes/sets/72157676481607268

I'm a little unsure what the new concrete foundation pads being built alongside the Lincoln Road bridge are for. I'd appreciate if anyone can confirm. My theory is that perhaps this is for a temporary bridge whilst the new span of Lincoln Road bridge is built to pass above the dive under lines. This might just be for temporary utility diversions I suppose.

Aictos

Established Member
A few new photos from today added to my album: https://www.flickr.com/photos/aebrookes/sets/72157676481607268

I'm a little unsure what the new concrete foundation pads being built alongside the Lincoln Road bridge are for. I'd appreciate if anyone can confirm. My theory is that perhaps this is for a temporary bridge whilst the new span of Lincoln Road bridge is built to pass above the dive under lines. This might just be for temporary utility diversions I suppose.

No idea but thank you for the recent photos update, it’s much appreciated!

Crun

You could well be right. Thanks for the photo's.

59CosG95

Established Member
Some photos from today:
3487B856-9262-44AC-ACB0-2069E1CEBA7D.jpeg
1) Another rebar cage for the Marholm Brook Drain culvert is now in situ, and can be seen being prepared for the eventual concrete pour.
741DD588-4796-4882-A46F-4631A30CDBDE.jpeg
2) The culvert boxes south of Cock Lane Footbridge looking more complete.
E3D1852F-288D-4FB6-91C6-B5D57EB9C8E3.jpeg
3) Looking NW; the first 2 piles for the new Cock Lane Footbridge (replacing the existing one) have now gone in. The new footbridge should be installed in mid-September.
F6CFFD1B-8EA8-450C-9372-54B0BF264996.jpeg
4) A closer look at said piles.
79720905-F668-4727-81AE-CBDD5613B34E.jpeg
5) Trial Hole for a new 4-track portal structure, to be installed before the closest headspan to the footbridge (which will be removed).
AEB2C929-127E-49D7-BB00-18B549112340.jpeg
6) Preparation works on the Dukesmead side of the ECML for the foundations of the new Cock Lane Footbridge.
B65DCE55-AD65-4C4D-9C6C-458467A75698.jpeg
7) As per 6), but featuring a poorly-executed shot of an HST.
28C3A01E-AA7F-4462-8E69-6C10046402B1.jpeg
8) Looking into the distance NW, with another rebar cage for a pile being installed at the Stamford Lines' Access Underbridge; the new Stamford lines will run over the bridge, with maintenance access to the Diveunder lines being under it.

Last edited:

DimTim

When is it planned to create the tunnel under the ECML? Cut & cover?
How long will the ECML be severed?

59CosG95

Established Member
When is it planned to create the tunnel under the ECML? Cut & cover?
How long will the ECML be severed?
The tunnel will be a pre-cast structure, jacked beneath the current formation of the ECML (on a curve; a world first!) in (as it stands) September 2020, during a 9-day Blockade. It remains to be seen whether the routes to Stamford & Spalding will be severed as well...

Aictos

Established Member
The tunnel will be a pre-cast structure, jacked beneath the current formation of the ECML (on a curve; a world first!) in (as it stands) September 2020, during a 9-day Blockade. It remains to be seen whether the routes to Stamford & Spalding will be severed as well...

I don’t know but as there’s a blockade, I would think that LNER would be running buses between Peterborough and Grantham, XC running buses between Peterborough and Leicester/Stamford and EMR running buses between Peterborough and Spalding/Grantham.

I don’t know the exact plan so can only hazard a guess but I think we see something similar to that.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I don’t know but as there’s a blockade, I would think that LNER would be running buses between Peterborough and Grantham, XC running buses between Peterborough and Leicester/Stamford and EMR running buses between Peterborough and Spalding/Grantham.

I don’t know the exact plan so can only hazard a guess but I think we see something similar to that.
With a blockade at the dive under position wouldn’t LNER still be able to use the existing flat Werrington Junction?

edwin_m

Veteran Member
If they are jacking in from the east then it's possible the Down Slow/Down Stamford (which is one track with two functions) will have been relocated further west beforehand and might still be useable. This might allow northbound services to continue running via Grantham and return south via Sleaford.

59CosG95

Established Member
If they are jacking in from the east then it's possible the Down Slow/Down Stamford (which is one track with two functions) will have been relocated further west beforehand and might still be useable. This might allow northbound services to continue running via Grantham and return south via Sleaford.
Yes, the Stamfords will be slewed prior to that.

Edders23

Bit hard to tell because I only get a glimse over the bridge parapet when driving past but the work is to the north side of the existing Spalding line so surely that would not need to be severed until it was connected up to the new dive under track. I think each line might get some period of disconnection but I doubt all at the same time

Yes, the Stamfords will be slewed prior to that. Are they widening the trackbed then as at this point the Stamford lines were pretty close to edge of the footpath/ dirt track alongside

59CosG95

Established Member
Are they widening the trackbed then as at this point the Stamford lines were pretty close to edge of the footpath/ dirt track alongside
If you were to stand on the footbridge linking the Dukesmead estate with the Stirling Way Ind Est, you'll be able to see the rough path of the new realigned tracks; they'll be running roughly over the old Marholm brook watercourse (which has now been diverted).

Aictos

Established Member
With a blockade at the dive under position wouldn’t LNER still be able to use the existing flat Werrington Junction?

Maybe but if Network Rail think they need a 9 day total blockade in much the same way that there was a total blockade for Acton Grange I can only hazard a guess of what form this blockade will take.

But it's around a year to go give or take, so who knows what plans are in place to manage this?

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Yes, the Stamfords will be slewed prior to that. Are they widening the trackbed then as at this point the Stamford lines were pretty close to edge of the footpath/ dirt track alongside
According to the track plan in an early post, the Down Stamford moves well to the west to make room for two new tracks, retaining walls, walkways etc. The Up Stamford probably stays roughly where it is. The logical sequence would be:
  • Relocate Down Stamford, possibly building the southern junction at the same time
  • Build the west side ramp in the space just vacated, using the maintenance bridge for access
  • Meanwhile, dig a pit on the east side and build the bridge for jacking
  • Once jacking complete, convert the pit to be the east side ramp
  • Lay track and eastern junction last.

High Dyke

Established Member
...Peascliff could be circumvented if the trains use the Barkston/Allington Curve, that much is certain.
I may have missed something here, but where are the trains supposed to go once the reach Sleaford? Either they would have to run round if continuing northwards otherwise, they would be just doing a giant loop to face Peterborough again.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I may have missed something here, but where are the trains supposed to go once the reach Sleaford? Either they would have to run round if continuing northwards otherwise, they would be just doing a giant loop to face Peterborough again.
Sleaford has a north-south avoiding line to the east, which was closed for a while but I think is now open again and used by the freight. A northbound passenger train leaves this via a south-to-west curve to get into the station, then takes another curve that branches off the Grantham line at the west end of the station to turn right through nearly 180 degrees then left to re-join the avoiding line towards Lincoln. So north-south trains can also run through the station without reversing.

Class 170101

Established Member
Sleaford has a north-south avoiding line to the east, which was closed for a while but I think is now open again and used by the freight. A northbound passenger train leaves this via a south-to-west curve to get into the station, then takes another curve that branches off the Grantham line at the west end of the station to turn right through nearly 180 degrees then left to re-join the avoiding line towards Lincoln. So north-south trains can also run through the station without reversing.

The Down (north/south avoiding) Line to which you refer has recently been re-opened (last couple of years or so) the Up Line remained in situ. When ECML services started being diverted via the GE/GN Joint Line Down HSTs / GC and Hull Trains went via Sleaford station whilst Up Trains did not and on occasion you could see Down trains on the chord between Sleaford West and North Jns waiting for the train ahead to clear section.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
The Down (north/south avoiding) Line to which you refer has recently been re-opened (last couple of years or so) the Up Line remained in situ. When ECML services started being diverted via the GE/GN Joint Line Down HSTs / GC and Hull Trains went via Sleaford station whilst Up Trains did not and on occasion you could see Down trains on the chord between Sleaford West and North Jns waiting for the train ahead to clear section.
Thanks for the update.

High Dyke

Established Member
Indeed there is. I was working that way last night. However the question that suggested using Allington chord made no acknowledgment that services arriving from the Grantham side would need to run round the train / change ends to continue via the Sleaford North West line towards Lincoln. There is no direct route.

Status
Not open for further replies.