• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Werrington grade separation updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Indeed there is. I was working that way last night. However the question that suggested using Allington chord made no acknowledgment that services arriving from the Grantham side would need to run round the train / change ends to continue via the Sleaford North West line towards Lincoln. There is no direct route.
Thanks for clarification - I'm clearly getting confused by this particular part of the discussion. The quote in question is this:
Can't pretend I know the first thing about both those tunnels and their specific clearances - all I know is that "there's an issue", which a friend working for an FOC forwarded on to me. Obviously Werrington will divert pretty much all the East Anglia/London - Yorkshire freight away from said tunnels, but the problem of the tunnels arises if the GN/GE Joint Line is blocked along that route for any reason.

Peascliff could be circumvented if the trains use the Barkston/Allington Curve, that much is certain.
I'm confused by this. The Barkston curve no longer exists and any train using it would have had to use Peascliff tunnel too. Going via Allington curve avoids Peascliff but does indeed land up going in the wrong direction at Sleaford. A north to west curve at Barkston (which has never existed as far as I'm aware) would avoid Peascliff, at the cost of two slow crossings of the ECML for Up freights. And any of these routes still passes through Stoke Tunnel. As an aside I remember service disruptions for Stoke and Peascliff tunnels to be enlarged for a previous generation of larger containers (8'6" I think) back in around 1980 - along with Penmanshiel which collapsed during the work.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

deltic08

On Moderation
Thanks for clarification - I'm clearly getting confused by this particular part of the discussion. The quote in question is this:

I'm confused by this. The Barkston curve no longer exists and any train using it would have had to use Peascliff tunnel too. Going via Allington curve avoids Peascliff but does indeed land up going in the wrong direction at Sleaford. A north to west curve at Barkston (which has never existed as far as I'm aware) would avoid Peascliff, at the cost of two slow crossings of the ECML for Up freights. And any of these routes still passes through Stoke Tunnel. As an aside I remember service disruptions for Stoke and Peascliff tunnels to be enlarged for a previous generation of larger containers (8'6" I think) back in around 1980 - along with Penmanshiel which collapsed during the work.
Penmanshiel collapsed very early 1979 and bypass opened in the same year.

High Dyke

Established Member

Indeed. Stoke Tunnel was reduced to single line working in 1978 whilst the tunnel was lowered for the container traffic. A temporary extension to the Stoke emergency signalling panel was made for the duration of the works.

I had to laugh the other day when a colleague mentioned that he couldn't see the Werrington separation being built for some time. He seemed surprised when I told him the current progress on this project. Obviously he hasn't seen the internal (Network Rail) news updates.

adambro

Would anyone know whether the bank holiday ECML work involves anything at Werrington?

Class 170101

Established Member
Would anyone know whether the bank holiday ECML work involves anything at Werrington?
EMR still running between Peterborough and Grantham and XC between Peterborough and Leicester so I'd say no. However with East Coast not operating via Grantham there may be scope for an earlier start to any blocks on Saturday night.

Crun

I saw last Sunday that a steel bridge is being built alongside the existing Werrington to Glinton footbridge. It contains black plastic pipes and a narrow walkway/cycleway alongside the brick built bridge. I guessed they will be building a wider brick bridge to cross the new line as it heads NE of Werrington.

Last edited:

59CosG95

Established Member
I saw last Sunday that a steel bridge is being built alongside the existing Werrington to Glinton footbridge. I contains black plastic pipes alongside the brick built bridge. I guessed they will be building a wider brick bridge to cross the new line as it heads NE of Werrington.
Yes - this bridge is a temporary multi-purpose bridge, allowing utilities & passengers to cross while the western end of the existing Lincoln Road bridge is rebuilt.

59CosG95

Established Member
18B01568-5035-4D5A-B3CD-E78ADEB875DC.jpeg
The existing footbridge at Cock Lane is due to be closed for 2 weeks while the new bridge goes in.
Taken with permission from my colleague, who was just about to clip them at each end of the footbridge.

59CosG95

Established Member
That's very helpful. Thanks for sharing.
My pleasure.

Further to this news, culverting work is now at an advanced stage, with only about 4 or so sections left to cast. Piling work for the new OLE has also begun around the junction itself, to replace headspans that will need removal. Said headspans foul the route of the new dive under, so need to be replaced with extra-long twin-track cantilevers (that actually support wires for 3 tracks!) before the dive under is dug.

Revaulx

Please don’t shout at me if this is the umpteenth time this question has been asked; I’m new on here, having been a uk.railway loyalist for much too long.

Rather than faff about at Werrington, wouldn’t it have been simpler and more future-proof to have reopened the idiotically closed Spalding-March? Or does the prison get in the way?

duffield

Established Member
Please don’t shout at me if this is the umpteenth time this question has been asked; I’m new on here, having been a uk.railway loyalist for much too long.

Rather than faff about at Werrington, wouldn’t it have been simpler and more future-proof to have reopened the idiotically closed Spalding-March? Or does the prison get in the way?

There's a thread about this in 'speculative ideas':
https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/had-spalding-march-not-closed.190697/

Class 170101

Established Member
Was the Down Fast closed to trains on Saturday (and maybe Sunday) between New ngland Jn and Tallington Crossovers as a lot of down trains seemed to be scheduled via the Down Stamford Line? Related works to this project?

jyte

Was the Down Fast closed to trains on Saturday (and maybe Sunday) between New ngland Jn and Tallington Crossovers as a lot of down trains seemed to be scheduled via the Down Stamford Line? Related works to this project?
My train was diverted along the slow but wasn't due to be, which made it late. Anyway, quite fun because I've never been along that bit of the line before.

adambro

Some new photos from today: https://www.flickr.com/photos/aebrookes/albums/72157676481607268

Changes since my last visit:
  • Old route of Hurn Road under A15 closed, new route open.
  • Cock Lane footbridge closed and work to remove temporary section underway. Work on a section ongoing this morning with a large crane on site.
  • Utility diversions ongoing around the Lincoln Road bridge where a temporary foot/cycle bridge has been installed but yet to open.
  • Route of the new line becoming more obvious when viewed from the A15.

59CosG95

Established Member
Some new photos from today: https://www.flickr.com/photos/aebrookes/albums/72157676481607268

Changes since my last visit:
  • Old route of Hurn Road under A15 closed, new route open.
  • Cock Lane footbridge closed and work to remove temporary section underway. Work on a section ongoing this morning with a large crane on site.
  • Utility diversions ongoing around the Lincoln Road bridge where a temporary foot/cycle bridge has been installed but yet to open.
  • Route of the new line becoming more obvious when viewed from the A15.

Many thanks for the updates and photo's. I passed through this area twice last Wednesday and was impressed by the extent of it.

I can now confirm that the main span of the new Cock Lane Footbridge has been installed. Originally planned for a Saturday night installation, works were winded off; Sunday night had more success.

The new deck is unconnected at both ends, and the temporary staircase at the old Cock Lane Footbridge has been dismantled. All going well, the new bridge should be open by midday on Monday the 14th.

Crun

Yesterday evening (02/10/2019) I rode home across the ECML over the bridge at Marholm and noticed some newly erected, new style gantries for the overhead power lines above the tracks on the western side of the ECML. Does anyone know more about this new development? It was too dark to take photo's on my phone.

59CosG95

Established Member
Yesterday evening (02/10/2019) I rode home across the ECML over the bridge at Marholm and noticed some newly erected, new style gantries for the overhead power lines above the tracks on the western side of the ECML. Does anyone know more about this new development? It was too dark to take photo's on my phone.
I've been heavily involved with them, to say the least...

They'll be at the northern end of the new re-aligned track on the Stamford lines.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Is it still only the down Stamford that will be wired to act as an ECML down loop, with electric trains having a route back to the normal fast lines via an existing crossing over the up Stamford line a bit further north?

59CosG95

Established Member
Is it still only the down Stamford that will be wired to act as an ECML down loop, with electric trains having a route back to the normal fast lines via an existing crossing over the up Stamford line a bit further north?
Yes, only the Down Stamford is being electrified on the new alignment, as when the diveunder is complete, the Up Stamford will be realigned for a second time to be either side of the diveunder.

As per the current setup, electric trains can switch back to the Down Fast at Tallington or Stoke Summit.

Aictos

Established Member
Will the existing curve to Spalding still be maintained for use?

Can’t see why not as the infrastructure supports bi di running on the Up Slow between Werrington Junction and Peterborough.

For a comparison, look at Hitchin when they built the flyover they kept the old route so regardless they always had one route northwards to Cambridge so think it’s quite possible for same to happen here?

Status
Not open for further replies.