• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Werrington grade separation updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Class 170101

Established Member
Will the existing curve to Spalding still be maintained for use?

Can’t see why not as the infrastructure supports bi di running on the Up Slow between Werrington Junction and Peterborough.

For a comparison, look at Hitchin when they built the flyover they kept the old route so regardless they always had one route northwards to Cambridge so think it’s quite possible for same to happen here?

Should point out that when Allington Chord was built and opened the route via Barkeston East Curve at Grantham was abolished so there were no guaranatees however as already noted the current link is staying.

DaleCooper

Established Member
Many thanks for the above photograph. Does anyone know if the footbridge at Marholm, north of Werrington Junction, was going to be replaced with something better?

What do you think is wrong with it? I'm going over it later this afternoon on my daily constitutional.

DaleCooper

Established Member
It is very slippery when I try and push or carry a bike up and down it, especially when the metal strips get wet or icy. It could do with having separate ramps for cycling and steps for walkers.

Fair enough although I doubt the amount of traffic would justify the expense. I often walk from Lincoln Road to Marholm without seeing another soul.

ashkeba

Established Member
Fair enough although I doubt the amount of traffic would justify the expense. I often walk from Lincoln Road to Marholm without seeing another soul.
I never understand this argument, which seems like providing a defective route in order to say it should not be repaired because people are avoiding it.

In rail terms, it seems a bit like if the GNR only ever ran stoppers on a twin-track railway and then people said that it didn't need extra fast lines building because the traffic was on LNWR expresses.

59CosG95

Established Member
Many thanks for the above photograph. Does anyone know if the footbridge at Marholm, north of Werrington Junction, was going to be replaced with something better?
I'm not sure if the replacement of Marholm (aka Hurn Rd) footbridge was in the plan initially, but I can confirm it certainly isn't in the current plan.

DaleCooper

Established Member
I never understand this argument, which seems like providing a defective route in order to say it should not be repaired because people are avoiding it.

In rail terms, it seems a bit like if the GNR only ever ran stoppers on a twin-track railway and then people said that it didn't need extra fast lines building because the traffic was on LNWR expresses.

It's not that people are avoiding it, it's just a route that doesn't serve most people's needs. There is another route via the Cock's Lane bridge that better connects the residential and industrial areas. I am sure that for some it is the best route all I'm saying is that there probably aren't many of them.

Crun

It's not that people are avoiding it, it's just a route that doesn't serve most people's needs. There is another route via the Cock's Lane bridge that better connects the residential and industrial areas. I am sure that for some it is the best route all I'm saying is that there probably aren't many of them.

I use it almost every Sunday after my club's ride. I also use it during the longer evenings to get from Ferry Meadows or Stamford to Werrington. I see fair numbers of people using it to do the same. Cock's Lane Bridge isn't as convenient coming cross country for me and them. Pushing or carrying a bike up or down wet or icy steps is more of an effort and less safe.

Last edited:

Crun

I'm not sure if the replacement of Marholm (aka Hurn Rd) footbridge was in the plan initially, but I can confirm it certainly isn't in the current plan.

I saw a notice pinned to some fences around the Hurn Road bridge mentioning some plan to replace the bridge. It would be a shame if a safer, for cyclists, replacement is not going to be built.

Crun

Some more photos from today: https://www.flickr.com/photos/aebrookes/albums/72157676481607268

Most of the metalwork for the new Cock Lane foot/cycle bridge is in but still some work to do before it opens. The road surface of the former Hurn Road route under the A15 has been removed.

Hoping not too long until Cock Lane opens as it provides a good vantage point!

A bit of a detour to find a bridge over the ECML as I couldn't cycle to the Hurn Road footbridge from north Werrington with the surface being removed this morning. I used the bridge near Walton with a cage all round it to get to the road to Marholm.

eastdyke

Established Member
Some more photos from today: https://www.flickr.com/photos/aebrookes/albums/72157676481607268
Most of the metalwork for the new Cock Lane foot/cycle bridge is in but still some work to do before it opens. The road surface of the former Hurn Road route under the A15 has been removed.
Great pictures, thanks :)
I could wish for something other than another piece of 'brutalist' engineering to (not) get me off my bike and on to my 'high horse', yes I know ......
In The Netherlands meanwhile:
rijnwaalpad02.jpg

...... they do things differently in their world ......
Built 2015 as part of the Arnhem-Nijmegen 'fast' cycle route.
https://bicycledutch.wordpress.com/2015/09/29/the-f325-fast-cycle-route-arnhem-nijmegen/

Aictos

Established Member
A bit of a detour to find a bridge over the ECML as I couldn't cycle to the Hurn Road footbridge from north Werrington with the surface being removed this morning. I used the bridge near Walton with a cage all round it to get to the road to Marholm.

That bridge near Walton used to be a level crossing back in the 1980s before electrification came and they removed it, after a few years due to vandalism they added the additional fencing which resembles a cage on it.

Yes it's a bit of a detour but hopefully soon the new bridge will be open, thanks for the photos :)

Crun

The new Cock Lane bridge looks impressive. Walkers and cyclists have own way up and over.

adambro

Some more photos taken today on my Flickr account: https://www.flickr.com/photos/aebrookes/sets/72157676481607268

Loads of working going on across the project this morning. My first proper opportunity to see the opened new Cock Lane bridge. Work ongoing to open the ramp sections.

Work to build the Brook Drain culvert over which the down Stamford will run now well advanced.

Significant recent rainfall no doubt making things more difficult, with Lake Werrington where the up/down diveunder lines will run. Appreciated the efforts of construction staff working to clear mud from paths. Hope we can have a little less rain to help.

Crun

I have just travelled from Werrington to Bretton using the Cock Lane Bridge. I had to carry my bike up and down the steps. I hope to return some time next week to ride up and over the new bridge. Sadly, the sides of the section over the ECML were almost my height and solid metal so there will be no vantage point there. There looked to be a couple of potential viewing points once the cycle ramps have been opened. I couldn't use the Hurn Road bridge as they were working on the road under the A15 bridge.

adambro

Crun

You can still access the Hurn Road bridge. There's a temporary path that goes from the Lincoln Road bridge. You can see the route in this photo: https://www.flickr.com/photos/aebrookes/49006484007/in/album-72157676481607268/ and a map of routes around the work area here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/aebrookes/49006272086/in/album-72157676481607268/

Thanks. I'll have a look and try again tomorrow. It looked like the whole road was closed with metal fencing across the width of it...

Status
Not open for further replies.