• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Werrington grade separation updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

markymark2000

On Moderation
Sorry if this has already been answered but how many extra paths towards Spalding will be made available as a result of the reduced conflicts? I'm thinking more could this enable a lot more freight trains to run with them not having to time inbetween the many passenger services on the ECML.

I saw 2 extra high speed tph could be introduced on the main line which is good if capacity can be found.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Crun

You can still access the Hurn Road bridge. There's a temporary path that goes from the Lincoln Road bridge. You can see the route in this photo: https://www.flickr.com/photos/aebrookes/49006484007/in/album-72157676481607268/ and a map of routes around the work area here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/aebrookes/49006272086/in/album-72157676481607268/

Thanks for the advice. I rode from Ferry Meadows to Marholm today and found the shared footpath/cyclepath above the fenced off ex-road.

DaleCooper

Established Member
Any news about the full opening of the Cock Lane bridge?

The ramps are now open on the Cock Lane footbridge although it's still inaccessible for wheelchairs because of the small footbridge over the pipework on the west side. I traversed the ramps (on Shanks' pony) today and it took a good five minutes; I thought it strange that there are 5 ramps on the east side but only 3 (plus a level path) on the west. I also noticed that they have started laying track on the new alignment.

Crun

The ramps are now open on the Cock Lane footbridge although it's still inaccessible for wheelchairs because of the small footbridge over the pipework on the west side. I traversed the ramps (on Shanks' pony) today and it took a good five minutes; I thought it strange that there are 5 ramps on the east side but only 3 (plus a level path) on the west. I also noticed that they have started laying track on the new alignment.

Good news at last!

Crun

20191208_135239.jpg 20191208_135116.jpg

Views from the Cock Lane cycle bridge looking north. I took a detour from Longthorpe via Bretton to ride up and over this new bridge to Werrington village. It has separate ramps and steps to enable easy crossing of the ECML for both cyclists and pedestrians.

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
View attachment 71334 View attachment 71335

Views from the Cock Lane cycle bridge looking north. I took a detour from Longthorpe via Bretton to ride up and over this new bridge to Werrington village. It has separate ramps and steps to enable easy crossing of the ECML for both cyclists and pedestrians.
Of the two new tracks in the second picture, presumably the right hand one is only for temporary use during the construction of the underpass?

Edders23

Think I'll wait till it's all finished before going to have a look from the A15 it looks quite the mud bath down there

DaleCooper

Established Member
Think I'll wait till it's all finished before going to have a look from the A15 it looks quite the mud bath down there
I was there yesterday, all the accessible paths are clear you won't have any problems. All the muddy parts are fenced off. I haven't been down Hurn Road lately but that's metalled so shouldn't be any problem.

Aictos

Established Member
Lightweight plain line tamper

Are they rare? Just I’ve never heard or seen one, usually the ones I see are your bog standard tampers.

Sorry if it comes across as a daft comment but I don’t know anything about them.

hwl

Established Member
Are they rare? Just I’ve never heard or seen one, usually the ones I see are your bog standard tampers.

Sorry if it comes across as a daft comment but I don’t know anything about them.
Relatively rare, lower productivity but useful in certain circumstances. Also easily craneable without a massive crane.
This time possibly a case of all the normal heavyweight in use elsewhere when high productivity required.

59CosG95

Established Member
Any news or photographs of progress welcome.
3 headspans immediately north of the junction itself have been removed, and replaced by new mechanically independent registrations; mainly on TTCs, but 1 STC is up over the Up Slow. A very large portal (of the sort seen on the eastern GWML during the Heathrow electrification) is waiting to go in too.

Aictos

Established Member
Relatively rare, lower productivity but useful in certain circumstances. Also easily craneable without a massive crane.
This time possibly a case of all the normal heavyweight in use elsewhere when high productivity required.

Thank you for explaining :)

DoubleO

They don't need craning at all actually, they lift themselves up on four large hyd cylinders on the corners, allowing them to be dropped straight onto a HGV trailer and moved by road. They're commonly known as Beavers.

hwl

Established Member
They don't need craning at all actually, they lift themselves up on four large hyd cylinders on the corners, allowing them to be dropped straight onto a HGV trailer and moved by road. They're commonly known as Beavers.
They do when the track is on a viaduct and not connected at either end with no vehicle access hence the "also" in my original comment.
e.g. London Bridge through platform rebuild

Ploughman

Established Member
That tamper and the S+C version were in use on the NYMR earlier in November.
Unloaded using the other method of aligning the trailer over a siding, jacking up and then driving the trailer out from under.

Attachments

• Volker tamper Newbridge.jpg
    Volker tamper Newbridge.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 57
  • PL Volker Tamper Newbridge jacked up.jpg
    PL Volker Tamper Newbridge jacked up.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 55
  • Volker S+C tamper Newbridge.jpg
    Volker S+C tamper Newbridge.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 55

DoubleO

They do when the track is on a viaduct and not connected at either end with no vehicle access hence the "also" in my original comment.
e.g. London Bridge through platform rebuild

I didn't say they can't be craned, I said they don't need to be craned.

Ploughman

Established Member
Seems a slow way of uplifting the track panels.
Although it does get them well off site for loading away or stripping.
I do know what the McColluchs are capable of as I have used them in the past.

Or is it just a small amount of panels being removed this way?
Enough to clear the original links to the new track.

Aictos

Established Member
Never seen anything like that equipment so appreciate updates like the above.

Edders23

thanks for the videos crun it seems strange seeing the field there full of equipment but I believe it was earmarked for further development but nobody bought it so lucky for network rail

Status
Not open for further replies.