• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Werrington grade separation updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

hwl

Established Member
Never seen anything like that equipment so appreciate updates like the above.
Those are fairly basic transporters, the next level are these (french worksite video but plenty in use in the UK):

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D365

Veteran Member
From the EMR Class 156 discussion:

If you had a choice of which station to use in Newark who wouldn't take the half empty 1727 Kings Cross service over what is currently the 1730 pair of 153s but will shortly be moving over to 158 operation?

Would a two-car Class 158 fit into Platform 1 alongside a twelve-car Class 700? Or is the idea that Lincoln trains will use the dive-under to access Platforms 5-7?

Crun

20191229_114523.jpg

Looking south from Cock Lane bridge.

20191229_114824.jpg

Looking west from Cock Lane bridge across old and new Stamford lines.

20191229_114555.jpg

Looking south from Cock Lane bridge along new Stamford lines.

20191229_114248.jpg

Looking north along new Stamford lines.

20191229_112252.jpg

Looking south from Hurn Road bridge down the old and new Stamford lines.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aictos

Established Member
I can add to this that the new Up Stamford is due to be commissioned next weekend. Usual caveats apply etc.

What’s happening to the old Up Stamford?

Good to see photos but just a little confused atm.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
What’s happening to the old Up Stamford?

Good to see photos but just a little confused atm.
Mentioned further back that the Up Stamford is diverted to the west to make room for the work on the diveunder itself. I think it returns to approximately its original alignment once the diveunder is complete, so there are non-conflicting routes between both Stamford lines and the diveunder.

Best I can tell from the photos the Down Stamford (aka the Down Slow) is in use but the OLE is incomplete. The Up Stamford has never been electrified as there is no signaled route onto it from the Grantham direction.

Last edited:

59CosG95

Established Member
Mentioned further back that the Up Stamford is diverted to the east to make room for the work on the diveunder itself. I think it returns to approximately its original alignment once the diveunder is complete, so there are non-conflicting routes between both Stamford lines and the diveunder.

Best I can tell from the photos the Down Stamford (aka the Down Slow) is in use but the OLE is incomplete. The Up Stamford has never been electrified as there is no signaled route onto it from the Grantham direction.
Yes, the Up Stamford moves twice; first to allow the diveunder to be constructed, then a second and final itme once the diveunder is finished.

Aictos

Established Member
Yes, the Up Stamford moves twice; first to allow the diveunder to be constructed, then a second and final itme once the diveunder is finished.

Ahh thank you, so how long does the diveunder works to construct take?

Bearing in mind I’ve no idea of the time needed.

Lastly what happens to the Peterborough to Lincoln’s that use the bi directional Up Slow to/from Werrington Jct, will they be diverted to use platforms 4 to 7 using the diveunder or will they keep using the existing route?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Ahh thank you, so how long does the diveunder works to construct take?

Bearing in mind I’ve no idea of the time needed...
They’re about one third through, reference is Network Rail (link in post #10) who announced:
“Work began in autumn 2018 and is expected to take three years to complete”.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Mentioned further back that the Up Stamford is diverted to the west to make room for the work on the diveunder itself. I think it returns to approximately its original alignment once the diveunder is complete, so there are non-conflicting routes between both Stamford lines and the diveunder.
Please note I've amended this post to read "west" not "east".
Lastly what happens to the Peterborough to Lincoln’s that use the bi directional Up Slow to/from Werrington Jct, will they be diverted to use platforms 4 to 7 using the diveunder or will they keep using the existing route?
They will be able to do that without blocking the Fasts, but whether they do or not will depend on how the timetable fits together in a couple of years time.

Aictos

Established Member
Please note I've amended this post to read "west" not "east".

They will be able to do that without blocking the Fasts, but whether they do or not will depend on how the timetable fits together in a couple of years time.

But they don’t block the Fasts like they used to with Spalding bound services crossing both Fast lines and the Up Slow at Werrington Jct, that was why they made what’s now Platforms 1/2 at Peterborough to Werrington Jct bi directional so they don’t clash with Fast line services.

Course a future timetable might have them moved to Platform 6/7 but that is less use of a infrastructure good? By this I mean if the majority of those services use the diveunder both ways then what would be the point in having the bi directional signalling?

They’re about one third through, reference is Network Rail (link in post #10) who announced:
“Work began in autumn 2018 and is expected to take three years to complete”.

Expected being key word, course they could always finish ahead of schedule but it wouldn’t be much of a difference.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
But they don’t block the Fasts like they used to with Spalding bound services crossing both Fast lines and the Up Slow at Werrington Jct, that was why they made what’s now Platforms 1/2 at Peterborough to Werrington Jct bi directional so they don’t clash with Fast line services.

Course a future timetable might have them moved to Platform 6/7 but that is less use of a infrastructure good? By this I mean if the majority of those services use the diveunder both ways then what would be the point in having the bi directional signalling?
Indeed, they could in future take either route without blocking the Fasts, unless for some reason the bi-di on the Up Slow is taken out. Which route they use will depend on when in the hour they run and what conflicting moves are scheduled around the same time.

D365

Veteran Member

I asked this question myself yesterday; my concern being whether a two-car Class 158 can fit into Platform 1 alongside a twelve-car Class 700. I read on a different thread that the Class 153s operating the Lincoln service are slated to be replaced by Class 158s.

Aictos

Established Member
I asked this question myself yesterday; my concern being whether a two-car Class 158 can fit into Platform 1 alongside a twelve-car Class 700. I read on a different thread that the Class 153s operating the Lincoln service are slated to be replaced by Class 158s.

Not sure, think Platform 1 got extended a few years ago to take both a 12 car and a Class 153 but if it can take 14 coaches is something else.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Not sure, think Platform 1 got extended a few years ago to take both a 12 car and a Class 153 but if it can take 14 coaches is something else.
It’s listed as having a 326m operational length in the sectional appendix...

Aictos

Established Member
Only if formed of 20m vehicles throughout, which I guess doesn’t apply to the local DMUs up there...

By my calculations, a 12 car Class 700 and a 3 car 158 should fit so a 2 car 158 ought fit easily?

Unless my maths is wrong?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
By my calculations, a 12 car Class 700 and a 3 car 158 should fit so a 2 car 158 ought fit easily?

Unless my maths is wrong?
I’d agree with that. A prospective four car DMU formed from a couple of units in multiple would be just too long.

Edders23

when they removed the old platform 1(bay) the platforms were extended but normally the Spalding trains come in after an up service has departed I think

Cock lane bridge and surrounds certainly look a lot different is it easier or harder to take photos from it ?

Crun

when they removed the old platform 1(bay) the platforms were extended but normally the Spalding trains come in after an up service has departed I think

Cock lane bridge and surrounds certainly look a lot different is it easier or harder to take photos from it ?

You can take photos towards the north and south from part way along the cycle ramps. Photographs can also be taken across the ECML from places lower down the ramps. The main span of the bridge has solid metal walls slightly less than 5' 10" in height. You'd need a box or step ladder to take photos from this point.

Last edited:

D365

Veteran Member

I’ve forgotten the railway term for it, but I have plenty of photos of a 12 car 365 or 700 parked in P1 alongside a 153. Hence my concern about when (if it hasn’t happened already) the 153 gets replaced by a 2 car unit.

Crun

Looking south from the Hurn Road bridge

20200105_123222.jpg

Looking north from the Cock Lane bridge
20200105_130923.jpg

Looking north from the Cock Lane bridge
20200105_130911.jpg

Looking west from the Cock Lane bridge
20200105_130934.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Porter Swain

Wow! They really have got on with it....wanted to go down there and see for myself but a bad cold dictates me to stay in. Thanks for the update!

Crun

Wow! They really have got on with it....wanted to go down there and see for myself but a bad cold dictates me to stay in. Thanks for the update!

Due to be in use for tomorrow Monday 06/01/2020. I will be back there next Sunday. Get well soon.

A video courtesy of werrington junction from YouTube looking south from the Hurn Road bridge:

Last edited:

DaleCooper

Established Member
I crossed Cock Lane bridge again this afternoon, both new Stamford lines are now in use. The old up line is being used to store steel sleepered track sections, are they for the diveunder section?

Status
Not open for further replies.