• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Werrington grade separation updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Meerkat

Established Member
Bet that’s popular with the locals - you can hear/feel those things for miles and with ambient noise currently being so low....

Meerkat

Established Member
There has been a letter received by the local residents detailing times of sheet piling work over night from just before midnight tonight up to around 8am tomorrow.
Ouch! I wouldn’t sleep a wink through that, it’s like Chinese water torture and earplugs don’t really block it.
One they did not far from here was painful to walk nearby - it was a thump and making the pile ‘sing’ with resonance.

Crun

Ouch! I wouldn’t sleep a wink through that, it’s like Chinese water torture and earplugs don’t really block it.
One they did not far from here was painful to walk nearby - it was a thump and making the pile ‘sing’ with resonance.
After having woken early at 04:45 I realised that the low vibrating noise I could hear was the sheet piling going in and not the fridge freezer packing up...

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I think the machines with a “screw thread“ visible are Augers for concrete piles, so they aren’t the source of the hammering that sheet piling causes?

Meerkat

Established Member
The orange machine in the last photo looks like a thumper (other, more technical, names are probably available). You can’t screw a sheet pile in!

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The orange machine in the last photo looks like a thumper (other, more technical, names are probably available). You can’t screw a sheet pile in!
Sure, I’m just noting that across the set of photos there are two types of machine in use...

Crun

After having woken early at 04:45 I realised that the low vibrating noise I could hear was the sheet piling going in and not the fridge freezer packing up...

The Peterborough Telegraph has an article about residents complaining about being woken by the noise of the over night sheet piling work.

The Peterborough Telegraph was contacted by the landlord of a pub in the Werrington district of Peterborough after he was woken at 4am last Sunday morning by the sheet piling work. The article contains his video of the noise within it.

Last edited:

DelW

Established Member
I think the machines with a “screw thread“ visible are Augers for concrete piles, so they aren’t the source of the hammering that sheet piling causes?

The CFA (continuous flight auger) rig may be there to install concrete piles, but could instead be being used to pre-auger the ground before driving the sheet piles. The auger disturbs the ground to reduce driving resistance when the sheets are driven, which may be done by impact hammer, vibrator, or hydraulic press.

Crun

The CFA (continuous flight auger) rig may be there to install concrete piles, but could instead be being used to pre-auger the ground before driving the sheet piles. The auger disturbs the ground to reduce driving resistance when the sheets are driven, which may be done by impact hammer, vibrator, or hydraulic press.
I've just taken a walk in north Werrington and heard the sound of sheet piling on the wind.

Aictos

Established Member
A tad late but when the temporary Up Stamford is lifted upon completion, is there any reason why the Down Stamford can't be slewed over to use the formation?

Thank you @Crun for the update above btw!

HSTEd

Veteran Member
What loading gauge is this being built to.

Aren't Swedish locomotives absolutely enormous?

I assume scaling shenanigans?

DelW

Established Member
The large piling machine has arrived at the Lincoln Road bridge ready to start it's magic for the new bridge piers.
View attachment 78190
I think that's a rock cutting auger. The NR document linked from post 413 shows that there are a lot of contiguous bored (concrete) piles, which account for the auger rigs' presence.

Status
Not open for further replies.