• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Werrington grade separation updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Geogregor

Some aerial shots:
https://twitter.com/nrairops/status/1272460981470474240

EaivroRXgAUhv56

EaivroNXYAY-8df

Rick1984

Jack hammer in use Werrington Junction Upgrade 19th June 2020

After vibrating steel piles into the ground a few days ago under the Cock Lane footbridge where there is limited headroom, shorter lengths have now been welded to them and the hammer is being used to sink the piles further.
Cheers that's cleared that up

QueensCurve

Established Member
How, when and why did a burrowing junction become a dive-under?

I think the two names have been in use at different times. I seem to recall that the Merseyrail diveunder at Hamilton Square was described as a burrowing junction when built in the 1970s. The term "underpass" was fashionable a few years ago.

Diveunder fits as compared with flyover.

QueensCurve

Established Member
Very interesting pictures. I know that only the line towards Stamford was electrified before the work, but surely with a new works done and the lines being moved, why didn't they electrify both the Stamford lines? I am sure that there are some good reasons, but to me it seem to be a basic way of extending the electrification in a quick and easy way.

As noted in earlier comments, the Down Stamford doubles up as the ECML Down Slow. The Up Stamford is not electrified.

Nevertheless, the ECML Fasts and Down Slow will presumably have to be closed at some stage during the works. Noting there is presently no connection to the Up Stamford from the Up Fast, might it not make sense to provide a connection and electrification of part of the Up Stamford to allow the ECML to remain open during the coming works?

Forgive me if this has been covered previously.

But historic mapping suggests there were more tracks on both ECML and Stamford routes in the past. Perhaps it was rationalised at or before the ECML electrification.

The present layout predates electrification as I recall observing it on journeys from Dundee to Kings X in the early 1980s.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
As noted in earlier comments, the Down Stamford doubles up as the ECML Down Slow. The Up Stamford is not electrified.

Nevertheless, the ECML Fasts and Down Slow will presumably have to be closed at some stage during the works. Noting there is presently no connection to the Up Stamford from the Up Fast, might it not make sense to provide a connection and electrification of part of the Up Stamford to allow the ECML to remain open during the coming works?

The present layout predates electrification as I recall observing it on journeys from Dundee to Kings X in the early 1980s.
I think it was a WW2 rationalization.

Rob F

Probably about the same time a flying junction became a flyover. Is this terminology imported from the road industry?
Maybe a dive under is just one component part of a burrowing junction. Same for flyover and flying junction.

Bayum

Established Member

Network Rail seem to suggest it will stay open...
‘ When fully assembled the 65m long TBM will bore the two 168m long tunnels under the live operational East Coast Mainline (ECML) which will be running at 125mph.’
Quoted from: https://www.networkrail.co.uk/runni...st-coast-upgrade/werrington-grade-separation/

On phone, so can’t insert quotes properly.

Ianno87

Veteran Member

The geometry probably makes any such connection near-impossible without killing the line speed, due to the track cant through Helpston.

Plus installing such crossovers would themselves need an ECML closure...which is a bit pointless when it's only a week blockade (I think) required anyway, and the route via Spalding is still available.

59CosG95

Established Member
The geometry probably makes any such connection near-impossible without killing the line speed, due to the track cant through Helpston.

Plus installing such crossovers would themselves need an ECML closure...which is a bit pointless when it's only a week blockade (I think) required anyway, and the route via Spalding is still available.
Siemens & NR are working to modify the interlock at Helpston to allow some services to run bi-di over the chord linking the Stamfords onto the Down Slow, and thence making the Down Slow provisionally bi-di to Tallington AIUI.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Network Rail seem to suggest it will stay open...
‘ When fully assembled the 65m long TBM will bore the two 168m long tunnels under the live operational East Coast Mainline (ECML) which will be running at 125mph.’
Quoted from: https://www.networkrail.co.uk/runni...st-coast-upgrade/werrington-grade-separation/

On phone, so can’t insert quotes properly.
AIUI that’s referring to a couple of pilot or guide tunnels, which will be tunnelled under the ECML as they say, but they are effectively temporary works for guidance of the jacked box. When the jacked box moves the embankment just ahead of its front face gets completely dug out.

I think there‘s a better description linked earlier, please see post #331 in this thread.

Last edited:

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Siemens & NR are working to modify the interlock at Helpston to allow some services to run bi-di over the chord linking the Stamfords onto the Down Slow, and thence making the Down Slow provisionally bi-di to Tallington AIUI.

Ah, very sensible if feasible.

Plus using bi-modes saves the need for wiring the Up Stamford.

Chris NS

G Broughton

On RTT I see there are engineers trains to Werrington Jn. starting this Saturday 18th July.
Saturday the 8th August there are no passenger trains between Spalding and Peterborough so can it be assumed this is the weekend when the connection from the Joint Line to the dive under line ( ? Glinton Junction ) will be installed.

Crun

On RTT I see there are engineers trains to Werrington Jn. starting this Saturday 18th July.
Saturday the 8th August there are no passenger trains between Spalding and Peterborough so can it be assumed this is the weekend when the connection from the Joint Line to the dive under line ( ? Glinton Junction ) will be installed.

An answer from elsewhere:

"There are three services showing on RTT from Spalding to Peterborough on the 8th, 07:16, 08:20 and 15:54. In the other direction there is one service at 16:30. Not all of these appear on the National Rail ticket service. That is all on the Saturday. No services on the Sunday.

The engineering train is just the one, from Doncaster. Timetabled to arrive at 08:50 and depart at 20:00

The Sunday is quite normal it seems but the Saturday is a reduced service from, it seems, around 10 trains each way. A replacement bus service is being put on.

I don't believe the track layout changes in terms of inserting the switch and crossing would be completed that quickly. I suspect it may be a possession for other works possibly involving the new bridge beams for the Lincoln Road bridge."

Last edited:

Crun

More to answer your question:

"Thanks for the info about engineering trains.

I don't think it will be to install Glinton Junction. It could be trains bringing in supplies of track, ballast?

I did hear that parts for the new Lincoln Road bridge are being delivered by rail but had seen no date."

Crun

More information to answer your question:

"Checking RTT there are no services through Werrington Junction of any sort on Sunday. There is an engineering train due in at 21:27 on Saturday night but no path shown for it leaving on Sunday or Monday. It is the same the following weekend and on the 1st/2nd there is quite a bit of engineering movement but, again, no service trains on the Sunday.

This pattern seems to be repeated through a good part of August as well.

Oddly LNER and National Rail are both showing trains as running normally this weekend according to their websites."

Ploughman

Established Member
I notice that besides Amber winky pots on various machines, some also have green ones fitted. Does this indicate something?

On first seeing this on a Dozer I thought maybe to indicate working to Laser control, but then another machine a Dumper also has a green winky pot, so that possibiity is out.
Any thoughts?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I notice that besides Amber winky pots on various machines, some also have green ones fitted. Does this indicate something?

On first seeing this on a Dozer I thought maybe to indicate working to Laser control, but then another machine a Dumper also has a green winky pot, so that possibiity is out.
Any thoughts?
It’s switched on to show when the driver has his seat belt on, and the machine is going to move.

Ploughman

Established Member
Status
Not open for further replies.