• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Werrington grade separation updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hwl

Established Member

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I thought I’d copy a couple of posts from the “photos and videos thread” about Werrington, they suggest its progressing well::
According to Network Rail spokesman, the aptly named Ed Acres, on BBC Radio Cambridgeshire the push will be over at 08:30 this morning. Then they will cover it over and add the rails. The presenter couldn't understand how the trains kept running while they 'dug the tunnel'...

Time lapse film of the tunnel being pushed under the East Coast Main Line: https://twitter.com/ECMLupgrade/status/1352200184185425921?s=09

Be interesting to see a close up of how they secure those white and blue beams in position that the hydraulic jacks push against. I’m assuming that the “floor” of the trench includes engineered holes or slots or something that were cast in place during the initial build? Has anyone noticed the details over the months it’s been happening?

Last edited:

Nottingham59

Established Member
Be interesting to see a close up of how they secure those white and blue beams in position that the hydraulic jacks push against.
They have holes cut into the floor of the tunnel approach, and "Jack Reaction Frames" made of structural steel with pegs which fit into the holes. The thrust bed is underneath where the tunnel box was built. It doesn't extend into the newly-excavated tunnel space itself.
There's a video here: https://twitter.com/i/status/1352347500468965376
And a presentation here, which gives more details:

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
They have holes cut into the floor of the tunnel approach, and "Jack Reaction Frames" made of structural steel with pegs which fit into the holes. The thrust bed is underneath where the tunnel box was built. It doesn't extend into the newly-excavated tunnel space itself.
There's a video here: https://twitter.com/i/status/1352347500468965376
And a presentation here, which gives more details:
Thanks for confirming what I’d almost assumed, although I’d since seen the animation, as @Crun provided a link in the other Werrington video/photo thread.

Freightmaster

Established Member
Out of curiosity, following last weeks (literal!) big push on this project, what happens next?

As far as I am aware, the diveunder itself will not be connected/commissioned until Summer (August?),
but will other work be completed in the meantime, such as slewing the Stamford lines into their final
position so that the Up Stamford runs between the diveunder and the ECML?

MARK

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Out of curiosity, following last weeks (literal!) big push on this project, what happens next?

As far as I am aware, the diveunder itself will not be connected/commissioned until Summer (August?),
but will other work be completed in the meantime, such as slewing the Stamford lines into their final
position so that the Up Stamford runs between the diveunder and the ECML?

MARK

Basically, yes! Some work over Easter.

Nottingham59

Established Member
I see there are more images of the progress at Werrington on the Upgrade twitter feed here: https://twitter.com/ECMLupgrade/status/1353450509089329154

Just as a point of interest, did they design the dive-under so that they could add a fourth ECML track at a later date? Currently, only three ECML tracks go over the tunnel and ECML Down Slow traffic uses the Down Melton line. This will become a constraint if freight traffic to/from Melton and Spalding grows in the future.

Last edited:

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Just as a point of interest, did they design the dive-under so that they could add a fourth ECML track at a later date? Currently, only three ECML tracks go over the tunnel and ECML Down Slow traffic uses the Down Melton line. This will become a constraint if freight traffic to/from Melton and Spalding grows in the future.

Good question, don’t know, but there will be other constraints to those flows long before three track over the dive under would be a problem (if indeed it is).

fflint

Why has this thread finished on the 25 January along with its super reports and photos-has the thread been closed down or has it migrated? The works cannot be finished yet - can they?
Please excuse me it is something I have missed.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Why has this thread finished on the 25 January along with its super reports and photos-has the thread been closed down or has it migrated? The works cannot be finished yet - can they?
I expect visible progress has slowed a bit as they move onto other areas of the project. Or that the very kind poster taking the photos has found themselves unable to do so (or upload, we may be in for a bumper update).

Signal maps gives a completion date of the end of September: https://signalmaps.co.uk/#peterborough:946.5

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Also, after GWML fiasco, DafT and HMTreasury will be more cautious so many upgrade projects including Werrington grade separation will spread out and be broken into smaller pieces. So take the Transpennine upgrade thread -it has been going for 9 years and sometimes there is quite a pause between posts. Expect EWR to be the same and quiet periods where nobody posts. I would not worry. Also if the mods lock temporarily or otherwise there will be good reason so I really would not worry too much.

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Many reports of up to date changes have been made in video form, but it was requested they be kept out of this thread, I think because quite a few were basically rolling stock and freight videos..
But have a look here, there are still pics from 3 April:

J Ward

If you go on the RM Web you can find up to date photographs of current work going such as embankment landscaping, laying track and bridge work. Currently up to 94 pages.

fflint

Thank you all for your quick reply to my question
Many reports of up to date changes have been made in video form, but it was requested they be kept out of this thread, I think because quite a few were basically rolling stock and freight videos..
But have a look here, there are still pics from 3 April:

adamedwards

If the dive under was wired with a turn back at the junction with the existing Spalding line, how long would it take a class 700 to leave Peterborough, go up to the turnback and then return to Peterborough for a next service, avoiding crossing the ECML on the flat? Would this be better than the existing cross the mainlines and turn round in the platform move trains currently do? Would it then create any extra useful paths?

Given how full the ECML is, does this help the timetable be easier to plan and be more robust? There's clearly a cost, but this would be done by 28 arriving trains per day (assuming half hourly service 07:00 to 20:00 as after that crossing moves would be less of an issue. Has anyone done the sums? (Probably should be filed under speculative!)

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
If the dive under was wired with a turn back at the junction with the existing Spalding line, how long would it take a class 700 to leave Peterborough, go up to the turnback and then return to Peterborough for a next service, avoiding crossing the ECML on the flat? Would this be better than the existing cross the mainlines and turn round in the platform move trains currently do? Would it then create any extra useful paths?

Given how full the ECML is, does this help the timetable be easier to plan and be more robust? There's clearly a cost, but this would be done by 28 arriving trains per day (assuming half hourly service 07:00 to 20:00 as after that crossing moves would be less of an issue. Has anyone done the sums? (Probably should be filed under speculative!)
Wasn't this already answered back when you asked on page 1 of this thread?

I think someone thought you’d need an extra unit in the circuit to allow for it?

Ianno87

Veteran Member

Wasn't this already answered back when you asked on page 1 of this thread?

I think someone thought you’d need an extra unit in the circuit to allow for it?

Yes, you'd need an extra circuit. Any the 2 track south of Huntingdon isn't *that* heavily trafficked that 2 crossing moves per hour are a particular headache.

Conflicting with potential freight moves via the dive under (that are otherwise segregated) probably creates a bigger issue.

Brissle Girl

Established Member
I would have thought the fairly extensive housing development that has built up in the area and which would be within around 750m (ie walking distance) of any station used to turnback would be an added benefit. But appreciate that the costs of such a station would probably be substantial, as it would likely need a separate track. And you also go from something which is purely for operating convenience (and thus can be skipped if a northbound train is late to make up time) would then be a passenger commitment.

GNER 91128

Just a couple of quick pics I took whilst walking the dogs this morning. Looks like it's been handed over to Network Rail or about to be.

Attachments

• IMG_20210530_104506.jpg
    IMG_20210530_104506.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 275
  • IMG_20210530_104617.jpg
    IMG_20210530_104617.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 264
  • IMG_20210530_112200.jpg
    IMG_20210530_112200.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 245
  • IMG_20210530_112153.jpg
    IMG_20210530_112153.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 254

helpstonjctn

The new section of the Up Stamford (which runs along the east side of the ramp) is now connected at the northern (Hurn Rd) end. Work is currently taking place to connect the new section of Up Stamford at the southern (Cock Lane) end.

steve2525

Question from a non rail worker - why has the new Stamford (up?) line been moved from the west to the east of the dive under? Will the other Stamford line stay in its current position?

mr_jrt

Established Member
So that services using the diveunder don't conflict with the Stamford lines. The lines where they temporarily were would have results in needless conflicting movements. I believe the other line will remain, yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.