• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Werrington grade separation updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

helpstonjctn

Any news on an official opening ceremony?

I note there's two unusual LNER workings tomorrow (1Z80 KGX-Spalding and 1Z81 Spalding-KGX) but these are routed through Werrington Jctn rather than the diveunder so perhaps entirely unrelated.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Any news on an official opening ceremony?

I note there's two unusual LNER workings tomorrow (1Z80 KGX-Spalding and 1Z81 Spalding-KGX) but these are routed through Werrington Jctn rather than the diveunder so perhaps entirely unrelated.
They're the "official" first passenger services to use the dive under with various local dignitaries / DfT representatives etc on board. They will be using the dive under, however the geography for the dive under doesn't go live in Network Rail planning systems until the December timetable change so they have to show they are using Werrington Jn. Should be a 9-car bi-mode.

snowball

Established Member
The space for track workers looks pretty tight on the approach to the diveunder!

adamedwards

Does the design of the tunnel allow for a future spur off the ECML up slow to allow a move across to the line to Ely? I'm imagining a future Leeds to Stansted service, for example. Or does the curve and concrete side walls rule this out permanently?

Meerkat

Established Member
The space for track workers looks pretty tight on the approach to the diveunder!
They will never need to be in there with trains running will they? I assume that Werrington Junction has enough spare capacity at night that the dive under can have a decent length of time line block?

zwk500

Veteran Member
Does the design of the tunnel allow for a future spur off the ECML up slow to allow a move across to the line to Ely? I'm imagining a future Leeds to Stansted service, for example. Or does the curve and concrete side walls rule this out permanently?
In short, no. The geometry would be challenging anyway and it'd have bumped the price up for very little benefit. A 158 clears Peterborough station throat fairly quickly, so finding 1 path an hour is not a massive issue in comparison to 775m 1800 tonne freight trains.

Meerkat

Established Member
In reference to a comment made earlier roughly what percentage of the container trains are still going to cross on the flat because they need to go through the GBRf yard?

GB

Established Member
Interesting couldn't see any limited clearance or no refuge signs on the structure...surely suggests there is enough room despite what is looks like on camera?

Legolash2o

Somebody will, because they dug it!

I managed to receive a signalling diagram for the the diveunder which allowed me to map the gradient data.

I had to manually draw the tracks but I will receive an NR version early next year to draw more accurate locations.

railmap.azurewebsites.net/Public/GradientsMap

1639683338396.png

Bayum

Established Member
In reference to a comment made earlier roughly what percentage of the container trains are still going to cross on the flat because they need to go through the GBRf yard?
Would be interesting to know!

Status
Not open for further replies.