• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

West Anglia - Greater Anglia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mix107

Hi all, new user.

Wanted some questions answered from Drivers who work on the West Anglia at any depot, but Bishop's Stortford if poss.

Just wondering what the average length of week is there, how many days on/off, how long the diagrams tend to be and what the average diagram consists off? What currently is the earliest start/latest finish?

I know Sunday's are outside the working week, but how many do you do?

Any idea how the salary goes up from training to passing out and in what increments and how long between each?

Generally how long it is from training in the classroom to being fully passed out on your own?

Thanks in advance for any help on the above.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lanc688

Mix,

Firstly, aplogies for not having the info you want, but i'm most likely in the same boat as you.

Just wondered, have you passed the tests and awaiting interview. Its just that I'm guessing that your'e preparing for this thats all.

I'm waiting for another recruitment round/sift and am under the impression that GA are looking to identify more guys/gals for later intakes.

Have GA fixed their Reaction Test machine yet?

Regards
Lanc

Mix107

Hi Lanc 688

I'm slightly further on, I've done all the assessments and interviews and been offered a role with GA on the West Anglia for the next intake later this year. Hence why I was asking about the shifts/diagrams on the West Anglia. The July course is already full.

As for the Reaction Test machine, one was still working when I took the assessments in May.

Good luck to you and hope you get a chance to do the assessments. Have you done them before? This was my second go, did them previously at Doncaster for WAGN and failed on the dreaded dots. All I can say for advice, is practice practice practice, especially those dots. Plenty of help online and worth buying the books.

Regards

Mix

Lanc688

Mix,

Thanks for that and my heartiest congrats with your success. I passed the private tests with DBS and am in the process of contacting GA now. I am led to believe that there will be further intakes eventually and that I will only need to pass the Fault Finding Test with GA, as this replaces the mech Comprehension.

I just need to await further recruitment, but am in good employment right now and so have time on my side (good job with the railways).

Kepp us updated how your training goes etc, etc

Regards
Lanc

robby p

Add Content
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
From the start of training to the day you pass out is roughly a year but can depend on many things, how long it takes you to get to 225 hours train handling etc. Classroom is 6 months then 6 months with an instructor (this again is a rough guide). It can then (depending how busy things are and you can get released) 6 months to learn all routes.

Earliest book on is 05:00 and latest book off time is 00:53. Jobs are on average 8hours 45mins but shortest is 6hours 23mins and longest is 9hours and 53mins.

We work a 35 hour 4 day week but this is averaged over 10 weeks so some weeks are over and some under 35 hours. Rest days are generally together however some are split and we have at-least one long weekend a month (rest days fri,sat,sun,mon,tues).

Sundays are not part of the working week but we can make ourselves unavailable as well as available for extra (depending on cover). On average we are rostered roughly 2 sundays per month (some months have 3 and some have none rostered).

Your pay stays the same at the trainee rate for the first year until you pass out as a driver and become productive. You then spend exactly a year on a slightly higher rate (£30/31k). Once your have a years productive driving under your belt you rise to full drivers rate.

Hope this helps, If you'd like to know something specific just PM me :)

Mix107

Mix,

Thanks for that and my heartiest congrats with your success. I passed the private tests with DBS and am in the process of contacting GA now. I am led to believe that there will be further intakes eventually and that I will only need to pass the Fault Finding Test with GA, as this replaces the mech Comprehension.

I just need to await further recruitment, but am in good employment right now and so have time on my side (good job with the railways).

Kepp us updated how your training goes etc, etc

Regards
Lanc

Thanks Lanc 688

Good job you've got most of the assessment under your belt already.

Glad your already on the railway in a good job (whatever that is?) and I'm glad to be back on it after my first taste as a Signaller. Really enjoyed that role too.

Looking forward to the training ahead and learning the rule book again, remember quite a lot from last time. But much more to learn this time round with traction and PTS as well.

Yes will try and post updates when I can or best to pm me. :D

Regards

Mix

Status
Not open for further replies.