• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

West Coast Motors & Borders Buses

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DunsBus

Established Member
Full timetables are expected to resume on Borders Buses from 10th August, according to Scottish Borders Council's website.

R 19

Vehicle SG65EEO is now with Glasgow City bus.

Last edited by a moderator:

route101

Established Member
Was on the Borders 93 today between Peebles and West Linton. Only me used the service. Anyone used these and the 91 to Biggar?

route101

Established Member
I've not used the 93 but I've used the 91 on the couple of occasions, Good run. Is it still Stuart's coaches that operate it?

Both routes are Borders Buses (Ex Buskers). Might be getting confused as i took a 91 from Biggar to Lanark, that was Stuarys, maybe there was a through Peebles to Lanark service/.

awsnews

A couple of WCMs Irizar bodied Scania coaches are showing up in slightly unusual locations on bustimes.org.
11319, YT13 YUF, appears to be based at Stranraer with regular trips up to Glasgow whilst 11315, YT13 YUB, appears to be operating from Cumbernauld on a wide variety of services including up to Aberdeen.
Is this just a tracking anomaly regarding vehicle identities or are these actual activities?

A couple of WCMs Irizar bodied Scania coaches are showing up in slightly unusual locations on bustimes.org.
11319, YT13 YUF, appears to be based at Stranraer with regular trips up to Glasgow whilst 11315, YT13 YUB, appears to be operating from Cumbernauld on a wide variety of services including up to Aberdeen.
Is this just a tracking anomaly regarding vehicle identities or are these actual activities?
Possibly the tracking is taken from the Citylink ERG machines. Citylink might have changed machines for repairs then put theses on to other buses. Sounds like one is on an Ulsterbus and the other is on a Stagecoach Western Van Hool or Panorama.

awsnews

Possibly the tracking is taken from the Citylink ERG machines. Citylink might have changed machines for repairs then put theses on to other buses. Sounds like one is on an Ulsterbus and the other is on a Stagecoach Western Van Hool or Panorama.
That would make more sense, thanks

experts

This firm and Parks appear to be covering First Glasgow 1s and 2s in Clydebank at peaks. Buses have on loan to First Glasgow on them

lastbus

This firm and Parks appear to be covering First Glasgow 1s and 2s in Clydebank at peaks. Buses have on loan to First Glasgow on them
They are running dedicated school journeys on behalf of First Glasgow.

route101

Established Member

Ive noticed the Silver Irizars are back on the Air service,a few of them. Did they not order enough panoramas?

Ive noticed the Silver Irizars are back on the Air service,a few of them. Did they not order enough panoramas?
There was an extra 2 Panoramas due. Dont know if these have been held up with Covid-19. There has always been a few Irizars on the Air service even when the Panoramas arrived.

cnjb8

Established Member
Hello, some help please!
Is Lochgilphead depot still open, and if not, were all vehciles transferred to Ardrishaig?

scosutsut

Does anyone know the length of the 69 plate Enviro 200 MMCs allocated to Borders Buses route 253?

I'm guessing to get 38+ high backed seats plus a couple of bikes they are the full 11.8m jobs?

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Does anyone know the length of the 69 plate Enviro 200 MMCs allocated to Borders Buses route 253?

I'm guessing to get 38+ high backed seats plus a couple of bikes they are the full 11.8m jobs?
Indeed 11.8M 6 Cylinder examples.

scosutsut

Indeed 11.8M 6 Cylinder examples.

Aye I think they are full lengthers, Really nice buses as well
Hmm interesting, thanks for the replies.

I ask because a Borders E200 MMC on the 253 and a East Coast Buses B8RLE on the X7 merged onto the A1 Edinburgh bound in front of me today, as soon as I passed the B8RLE he was straight out and past the E200 in short order so I wondered if the E200s were the less powerful versions, but based on that, that shouldn't be in that case.

It's where the A1 inclines up, of course the X7 could have been pushing to make up time and the 253 the opposite there would be no way of knowing.

I'm just curious, as with most of my questions!

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Hmm interesting, thanks for the replies.

I ask because a Borders E200 MMC on the 253 and a East Coast Buses B8RLE on the X7 merged onto the A1 Edinburgh bound in front of me today, as soon as I passed the B8RLE he was straight out and past the E200 in short order so I wondered if the E200s were the less powerful versions, but based on that, that shouldn't be in that case.

It's where the A1 inclines up, of course the X7 could have been pushing to make up time and the 253 the opposite there would be no way of knowing.

I'm just curious, as with most of my questions!

The issue is with the gearbox rather than engine. The Borders E200MMCs are 4 speed Voiths while the B8RLEs are 6 speed ZFs. The ZF box being superior in pretty much every way.

E200s are better with Allisons boxes, although believe it or not due to the way they're geared a 4 cylinder Allisons E200 is actually faster above 40MPH than a 6 cylinder example.

DunsBus

Established Member
I've been on a few of these E200MMCs and I agree with what's been said about them. They're very impressive machines, both inside and out. My local route, the 60 (which regains a Sunday service from this weekend) is worked from both the Galashiels and Berwick ends so I've seen a mix of all the route-branded ones, as well as buses from both the 69 and 20-plate batches.

WestieBus

That must be one of the last of the old model E200s that ADL have made.
I'm sure they said that they were discontinuing them in 2016.
Sam
The E300's were 2016, the E200's were cancelled in 2018,
Fairline/Scotline are part of Borders, City Sightseeing is part of Glasgow Citybus etc. Those are all really just brands rather than separate parts of the company.
Wait, something was wrong here, Fairline's depot is in Glasgow, so how co it be owned by Borders? Also, Fairline Coaches got absorbed into West Coast Motors, Fairline is non-existent.

Last edited:

Jordan Adam

Established Member
The E300's were 2016, the E200's were 2018.
To be pedantic the E300s were 2015, the last examples being registered in December. The E200s were mid 2017, however some stock built dealer specification examples were sold slightly later.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Wait, something was wrong here, Fairline's depot is in Glasgow, so how co it be owned by Borders? Also, Fairline Coaches got absorbed into West Coast Motors, Fairline is non-existent.
Indeed, not sure why you bring this up though as the post is over a year old and quite irrelevant now.

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
Is there a reason Border Buses 51/52/X95 don’t serve the Royal Infirmary Hospital, I can get the X95 for it being an express but the 51/52 makes no sense, was it like this when First and Perryman ran these respectable services?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Is there a reason Border Buses 51/52/X95 don’t serve the Royal Infirmary Hospital, I can get the X95 for it being an express but the 51/52 makes no sense, was it like this when First and Perryman ran these respectable services?

It was specified like that by Borders Council. As the tender spec from 2008 states on page 2... "Within Edinburgh, buses are to stop at Old Dalkeith Road (for Edinburgh Royal Infirmary), Cameron Toll...etc etc"