• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

West Country Independents

Martin2012

Whilst there is a thread on this forum dedicated to discussing the First Bus services in the Bristol/South West, area I would be interested to find out, does anyone get to experience other bus operators in the area such as Wessex, Severnside Transport, CT Coaches, Abus or South Gloucestershire Bus and Coach?

I've ridden the 462 by South Gloucestershire Bus and Coach on a good number of occasions and I particularly like it when they use the older van-hools from the fleet. I also find the 222 route operated by Severnside Transport to be a good little ride(although rather expensive) as well as some of the more irregular Wessex routes such as the 620 Yate-Bath and 622 Yate-Cribbs Causeway when I have a free day

Has anyone else travelled on any of these routes or any others operated by these companies?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I have the misfortune to use Wessex's Uniconnect service (U18/U10/X18) on a daily basis.
They're not the most reliable, but get you there in the end.
It's only a short route, and you don't see much scenery thought the 12% hill does provide an experience if we're unlucky with an underpowered bus.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Don't get me started on Wessex in Bristol. How they're allowed to operate a service is beyond me. Buses don't show up (or, when they do, at whenever the hell they like), half of the drivers have very poor English, which is not a racially motivated comment, but not ideal when I'm in my own country and they don't understand what I'm saying (trying to ask the driver of a number 12 service a few weeks ago what time he got into the centre of Bristol felt like I needed an interpretor); they also don't know their routes either.

And as for Wessex's customer service skills....that's on a different level.

Possibly the worst bus company I've ever experienced, and I can't see their licence lasting longer.

matt_splat

Wessex have ruined the evening busses in my local area

Ct Coaches will no longer be in Bristol soon with buglars taking over the 672

swifty

Established Member
When a Wessex driver leaves the cab, and the bus in the middle of the road, to approach someone in their car and argue, it doesn't leave you with a good impression!

And they STILL haven't updated the 505 displays to reflect the extension to Long Ashton P&R and withdraw from Bower Ashton, which is still displayed almost two months after the change.

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
half of the drivers have very poor English, which is not a racially motivated comment, but not ideal when I'm in my own country and they don't understand what I'm saying (trying to ask the driver of a number 12 service a few weeks ago what time he got into the centre of Bristol felt like I needed an interpretor); they also don't know their routes either.

To be fair First can be just as bad. I got on the bus ALONE and asked for one single and received TWO! I couldn't be bothered to argue the fact I only needed one for the sake of a few pounds.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Frustrated Bristol bus users make 540 complaints about Wessex Connect

ONE of Bristol's biggest bus companies has been complained about more than 540 times by frustrated bus users.

Wessex Connect is the second biggest operator in the Bristol and South Gloucestershire area, after First Bus, and operates a fleet of almost 130 buses. But this week the firm is the subject of a public inquiry looking into alleged punctuality and reliability problems.

Traffic commissioner Sarah Bell is overseeing the inquiry. She has the power to impose large fines and, in extreme cases, can take licences off transport companies.

She said: "Essentially members of the public complained about the level of service being offered by Wessex Connect in October 2012. As a result some investigations took place and further complaints were received in June 2013."

After the complaints, officials from the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency visited the headquarters of Wessex and spoke to senior managers. They were assured that systems and procedures had been put in place to solve the problems.

But when complaints continued to come in, both to the government agency and to the company itself, the decision was taken to launch an official investigation.

The performance of the firm was measured over a 12-day period at the end of September 2013.

A total of 282 journeys were monitored by inspectors, largely in Bristol and South Gloucestershire.

The services were checked for punctuality and reliability, and the inspectors found that there were issues with a total of 121 services – the equivalent of 42 per cent of all journeys.

Most of the issues were around buses not running on time but in some cases services failed to turn up at all, yesterday's hearing was told. The bus company has questioned the findings and has claimed the numbers was actually much lower.

Wessex said problems were largely caused by congestion in Bristol.

Miss Bell said: "According to the company, the lateness was essentially down to a combination of roadworks, road traffic accidents and traffic congestion." A higher number of students using the services at the UWE campus in Frenchay was also identified as a major issue by the firm.

Over a period of six months the DVSA received 547 complaints from frustrated passengers.

There were complaints about buses arriving at stops too early and, in some cases, up to 20 minutes late.

But the bus company says the complaints represented a tiny percentage of its passengers as more than two million customers travelled on Wessex Connect services during the period covered by the inquiry.

A new timetable was introduced and drivers' working patterns altered to address the issues and try to tackle the problems.

But the DVSA considered that it was still prudent to monitor the bus company's performance.

Back in 2010 Wessex Connect was fined £12,500 for the late running of services.

Wessex was ordered to pay the money following a similar inquiry. The fine was for running late over a six-month period, after an investigation found that just 82 per cent of services ran on time.

The current inquiry is expected to last days.

Read more: http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/Frustr...tory-21156807-detail/story.html#ixzz336dWf4ig

Last edited:

ValleyLines142

Established Member
ust as bad. I got on the bus ALONE and asked for one single and received TWO! I couldn't be bothered to argue the fact I only needed one for the sake of a few pounds.

Indeed but they're still nowhere near as bad as Wessex.

Wessex also have a truly hideous slogan, which is advertised all across UWE Frenchay Campus: 'The Only Way Is Wessex'

I mean seriously? How utterly embarrassing? I looked at it and though 'no'!

ryson357

First have been improving and Wessex have been getting worse!

True! The other day I pulled my hand out for service 3X as service 20 didn't turn up at all (waited for an hour hence the other post about a new service via th hospital)
I pulled my hand out for the bus and looked right through me and didn't stop! Had 2 passengers on there. To be fair I've never been a great fan of wessex been poor service and I know First could be just as bad but wessex far worse!

swifty

Established Member
Wessex also have a truly hideous slogan, which is advertised all across UWE Frenchay Campus: 'The Only Way Is Wessex'

I mean seriously? How utterly embarrassing? I looked at it and though 'no'!

No they don't, it's got nothing to do with Rotala.

It's a consultation campaign run by the SU president and the vice chancellor of UWE, Steve West, to see how UWE can improve the bus services for Frenchay.

Last edited:

ValleyLines142

Established Member
No they don't, it's got nothing to do with Rotala.

It's a consultation campaign run by the SU president and the vice chancellor of UWE, Steve West, to see how UWE can improve the bus services for Frenchay.

Oh, well I never noticed that. It's still a ridiculous slogan nonetheless.

And First should run all the Frenchay services. Simples!

freetoview33

Established Member
Even first has a lot to improve upon in my opinion. But Wessex see to have lost the plot. There isn't really much other competition left anymore other than the odd service operated by another operator in Bristol. One of the very few areas that First are clearly in charge.

Is Wessex still Rotala? Somewhere in the back of my mind I seem to remember them flogging Wessex. If they are, then this reflects a lot of customer satisfaction with Rotala in East Worcestershire

bussnapperwm

Established Member
Is Wessex still Rotala? Somewhere in the back of my mind I seem to remember them flogging Wessex. If they are, then this reflects a lot of customer satisfaction with Rotala in East Worcestershire

Yes Rotala still own wessex...where some deckers have since moved to Preston.

If east Worcestershire is bad, you want to try their black country routes. They make redditch look reliable!!

swifty

Established Member
What is all this about the Route 88 run by Carmel Coaches between Portishead and Clevedon?

It's a part replacement for the 66 which was withdrawn in November.

Route 88 bus service launched
Date:
28/05/2014
​A vital new bus link between Portishead and Clevedon begins operation next week.

From Monday 2 June, local bus and coach operator Carmel Coaches will run the new bus service 'Route 88'on Mondays to Fridays. As well as serving the shops and businesses in Clevedon and Portishead town centres, the service will also operate via the residential areas of North Weston, Redcliff Bay and Walton Bay.

Cllr Elfan Ap Rees, North Somerset Council's deputy leader and executive member responsible for transport, said: "We are pleased to be working with Carmel Coaches to introduce the new 'Route 88' bus, which will provide an essential service for the communities in and around the towns of Clevedon and Portishead.

"This service has been introduced following requests from local residents, particularly in the coast road area, and will depend on their support to be sustainable long-term. In the meantime it is being financially supported by the council following agreement with the local ward councillors."

Copies of the 88 timetable are available from Portishead and Clevedon libraries or look up the timetable online.

- See more at: http://www.n-somerset.gov.uk/News/Pages/Route-88-bus-service-launched.aspx#sthash.x493b5Wi.dpuf

swifty

Established Member
An interesting picture has appeared on Flickr that appears to show the Wessex Red fleet being rebranded with Wessex Red being dropped. The livery is the same but branding now looks to be based around Stars.

https://flic.kr/p/oFRNtB

Last edited:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
An interesting picture has appeared on Flickr that appears to show the Wessex Red fleet being rebranded with Wessex Red being dropped. The livery is the same but branding now looks to be based around Stars.

We've gone from Wessex Connect to Wessex Red/Ulink to Wessex Stars? A bit of consistency in this (and many other areas) might be preferable. Might indicate a bit of concern at First's resurgence so they need to pull their socks up. As you say.....interesting

winston270twm

Established Member

Most of that batch are/were at Rotala's Long Acre depot in Birmingham having been repainted
https://www.flickr.com/photos/115199517@N06/page5/

There's also a Wessex WF Streetlight missing half its side panels
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99180483@N03/14867894261/

More Wessex service changes:

PH1066711/53 - FLIGHTS HALLMARK LTD, BEACON HOUSE, LONG ACRE, ASTON, BIRMINGHAM, B7 5JJ

Variation Accepted: Operating between Southdown and Bath University given service number U10/10 effective from 22-Sep-2014. To amend Route and Timetable.

PH1066711/105 - FLIGHTS HALLMARK LTD, BEACON HOUSE, LONG ACRE, ASTON, BIRMINGHAM, B7 5JJ

Variation Accepted: Operating between Frenchay Campus and Frenchay Campus given service number 13 effective from 15-Sep-2014. To amend Route and Timetable.

g4mby

Even though I have asked for my account to be deleted or locked it seems that I can still post. :roll:

Anyway, even though the X27 Yate to Bristol service operated by Wessex ran for the last time on Saturday, 30th August there were still a few confused and disappointed people in Yate waiting for it this morning.

Many of the regulars will miss the X27 as it served The Centre and Anchor Road whereas all First services terminate at the Bus Station. Both of my X46 journeys today were almost full, presumably with many ex-X27 passengers.

It seems it took just 4.5 months to completely remove Wessex's Avonmouth depot's work from the Yate and Chipping Sodbury area. Mission accomplished?

freetoview33

Established Member
Well Wessex still have the 84/86 and 620 around Yate so they are still there (Just) But yes the work from Avonmouth gone as I think the 84/86 are run from Kenysham?

swifty

Established Member
Well Wessex still have the 84/86 and 620 around Yate so they are still there (Just) But yes the work from Avonmouth gone as I think the 84/86 are run from Kenysham?

The east Bristol/South Glos routes are run from Keynsham, a throwback from when the Eighties first started.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
The east Bristol/South Glos routes are run from Keynsham, a throwback from when the Eighties first started.

What does Burnett still do? U10/18, 20, 84, 86, 620? Plus a few journeys on 178/9 on M-S evenings. Not much.

Talking of which, noticed affixed to a bus stop in Paulton (seen similar elsewhere) a rather unprofessional and blunt notice that said you can't used First tickets after 2130 (ok, not good but there you go) but to buy an AvonRider or you'll pay double.

Bit brusque and was wondering who'd put them up. No logos so council? Wessex? Local benefactor?

swifty

Established Member
What does Burnett still do? U10/18, 20, 84, 86, 620? Plus a few journeys on 178/9 on M-S evenings. Not much.

They also run the 12 and X18 in Bath, as well as the 533 (surprised its still funded & running tbh!) as well as possibly some of the 51x routes in Bristol. I believe there's around 25/26 buses based at Burnett.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
They also run the 12 and X18 in Bath, as well as the 533 (surprised its still funded & running tbh!) as well as possibly some of the 51x routes in Bristol. I believe there's around 25/26 buses based at Burnett.

Silly me. Clean forgot about the 12 and 533 (though I'd lumped X18 with U18!). I struggle to see how SGC can still justify the 533!

I realise that Burnett is low cost and is shared with two other operators but can't afford to lose much more work.