• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

West Country Independents

Marcus Fryer

The Welsh government have issued a press release which says, inter alia, that they are supporting the X7 service for six months, i.e. until December.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

anthony263

Established Member
Regular reviews carried out. Suggestions already being made for more regular services to Magor and Newport etc. Dont forget the service at one point ran beyond Newport to Cardiff but I think traffic congestion killed that extension

D2007wsm

Established Member
But of course, the X14 has been the Chepstow - Cribbs bus until today (OK, it's been furloughed since March, but the cancellation if from today). So that would be confusing too.

When First ran to Chepstow as the X7, wasn't that the same time as Greyhound were running to N Somerset as the X7? Ironic that First is now the N Somerset X7 instead...

Does anyone have, or can anyone pull together, a timeline of the Bristol-Chepstow bus, its route, operator and number, as it must be one of the most changed in the area?
As a start, I know that we have:
- Route numbers: 300, 301, 601, X7, X7, X10, X11, X14, X14, 7XP, SEV, Severn Express
- Routes: via Westbury village & Cribbs. Via Falcondale & Cribbs, via Gloucester Rd & Cribbs, via Gloucester Rd not Cribbs, via M32 & Cribbs, via M32 not Cribbs.
- Operators, National Welsh/Badgerline, Stagecoach/First, First, Stagecoach, NAT
But First operated the X7 to North Somerset before that. What is now the X6 was once the X7 before it was renumbered 361.

martyjon

But of course, the X14 has been the Chepstow - Cribbs bus until today (OK, it's been furloughed since March, but the cancellation if from today). So that would be confusing too.

When First ran to Chepstow as the X7, wasn't that the same time as Greyhound were running to N Somerset as the X7? Ironic that First is now the N Somerset X7 instead...

Does anyone have, or can anyone pull together, a timeline of the Bristol-Chepstow bus, its route, operator and number, as it must be one of the most changed in the area?
- Route numbers: 300, 301, 601, X7, X7, X10, X11, X14, X14, 7XP, SEV, Severn Express
- Routes: via Westbury village & Cribbs. Via Falcondale & Cribbs, via Gloucester Rd & Cribbs, via Gloucester Rd not Cribbs, via M32 & Cribbs, via M32 not Cribbs.
- Operators, National Welsh/Badgerline, Stagecoach/First, First, Stagecoach, NAT

the 300/301 was run by Bristtol Omnibus Company and commenced operations following the opening of the original Severn Bridge.

carlberry

Established Member

Try this:
Bristol Omnibus Route list
However you have to add Bristol Omnibus and Red and White (as the originators), Clapton Coaches and Trains and Things.

northken

The 7.20 X7 from Mangor was operated by a Mercedes Citaro in standard NAT livery. It was bang on time to Clifton Down!

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Try this:
Bristol Omnibus Route list
However you have to add Bristol Omnibus and Red and White (as the originators), Clapton Coaches and Trains and Things.
I didn't know Clapton Coaches reached Wales!! You live and learn.

My first ever trip to Wales was on the 301 in 1993 courtesy of a trip over on the now preserved Leopard/Plaxton Paramount VJT738 - I feel old!

In terms of today's timeliness, let's see what happens in winter when traffic volumes may be higher....

carlberry

Established Member
The 7.20 X7 from Mangor was operated by a Mercedes Citaro in standard NAT livery. It was bang on time to Clifton Down!
YN13XYR and BN12EOT doing the honors through Cribbs at 15.25. Neither troubled by passengers however, to be fair, nor were most of the other services there. And this service would be a lifeline to anybody in Chepstow to do none-essential shopping today (subject to wearing a mask as soon as you cross the Usk)!

Dai Corner

Established Member
YN13XYR and BN12EOT doing the honors through Cribbs at 15.25. Neither troubled by passengers however, to be fair, nor were most of the other services there. And this service would be a lifeline to anybody in Chepstow to do none-essential shopping today (subject to wearing a mask as soon as you cross the Usk)!

[Pedant mode]

The Wye

[Pedant mode off]

Marcus Fryer

I see there's a thread dedicated to New Adventure Travel. Perhaps X7 news should be recorded there.
By the way, on Tuesday afternoon it appeared there was only one bus out, Citaro BN12 EOT.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Can confirm that New Adventure Travel are using the ex-Quality Line 12-reg Citaros on the X7, which is a shame for a new service as these are looking a little tired internally. A shame for regular passengers on that route, who of course have been downgraded from Stagecoach Gold Enviro 400s (and before that First E400MMCs 33488-33490). The 12-reg Citaros are usually found supplementing the X1 in Cardiff but due to it only running hourly now (as opposed to every 15 minutes), the PVR has dropped down to 2, so only two of the dedicated newer 67-reg Citaros can be used as normal instead. Quite why the ex-Metroline Enviro 400s cannot be used on the the X7, both for quality views across the river and for social distancing purposes I'm unaware of, especially seeing as these were normally used on the X5 (Cardiff to Ringland via Newport) which has now been withdrawn, and according to Bus Times they've been unused since the end of March when the X5 was withdrawn!

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
The subject of Plymouth Citycoach is already being discussed here:

Marcus Fryer

BCT now have a E200MMC registered YX19xxx; it was on the 672 on Saturday. Possibly a transfer from the (now closed) Manchester operations or ex demonstrator.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Think it was mentioned that Faresaver had suspended their X67 Bath to Frome service but that it wouldn't be coming back. Is this now confirmed?

Was in Frome over the weekend and went past the yard where they used to have 4 vehicles parked up and there were two there, I guess for the X34.

freetoview33

Established Member
Think it was mentioned that Faresaver had suspended their X67 Bath to Frome service but that it wouldn't be coming back. Is this now confirmed?

Was in Frome over the weekend and went past the yard where they used to have 4 vehicles parked up and there were two there, I guess for the X34.
It was confirmed many times by Faresaver although mainly on Facebook the X67 was axed.