• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

West Country Independents

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DaveLondon

Ah, it sounds like they've bought something for it and it was just luck that it was a decker today. Taylors Travel is the legal name of the company that bought Applegate's a couple of years ago.
The double deck was not favoured because it could not followed the scheduled route and ran late (low bridge). The former Cainey, Thornbury Scania has now been acquired by Taylors and re-registered.

Marcus Fryer

Whilst we’re discussing surprising double-deck operations, I see Eurocoaches have been using WD05 UFA, one of their Volvo B7TL/Alexander ALX400 regularly on the 623 for the last month or so, as reported above.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Whilst we’re discussing surprising double-deck operations, I see Eurocoaches have been using WD05 UFA, one of their Volvo B7TL/Alexander ALX400 regularly on the 623 for the last month or so, as reported above.
Another DD one that a couple of posters should be able to resolve. Seen the Abus Spectra AP04BUS at Centurion Travel's depot in Welton, readied for the R3. Is that it's new home or having work done?

Citistar

Another DD one that a couple of posters should be able to resolve. Seen the Abus Spectra AP04BUS at Centurion Travel's depot in Welton, readied for the R3. Is that it's new home or having work done?
The R2/R3/Winterstoke Sainsburys operation is currently in residence at Welton using AP04 and the ex Somerbus Scania 704BYL. Feel free to point out how well the destination boards are programmed.

carlberry

Established Member
In another random bit of double decker mileage the evening journeys on the Eurotaxis 626 (Bristol to Wotton) has been a decker a couple of times this week. The morning journey has been the usual collection of Solo, Dart or minibus.
Eurotaxis also appear to have started a set of journeys from Stover Road/Nibley to Cabot Circus, Eastgate Centre or Abbey Wood. The timings appear perfect if you were driving a school bus from those locations, but less so if you worked there!

https://bustimes.org/operators/euro-taxis

-Colly405-

Eurotaxis also appear to have started a set of journeys from Stover Road/Nibley to Cabot Circus, Eastgate Centre or Abbey Wood. The timings appear perfect if you were driving a school bus from those locations, but less so if you worked there!

https://bustimes.org/operators/euro-taxis
Wonder how they came up with those route numbers EPR76, EPR77 and EPR78. Isn't the Stover Rd terminus near the new Yate P&R? Maybe EPR is Eurotaxis Park & Ride? :s
Odd that the EPR77 (only) has an intermediate at Winterbourne Swan, rather than the George. The stop is clearly deliberate, otherwise the route would follow the EPR76 route to Hambrook, wouldn't it?

Last edited by a moderator:

carlberry

Established Member
Pulham appear to be ending various contracted services in April/May. As other services are continuing I assume it's just end of contract.

https://www.pulhamscoaches.com/bus/

Bus Service News
63 Service
Pulhams Coaches will cease operating the 63 service at the end of duty on Saturday 7th May 2022. Please contact Oxfordshire County Council for more information.

78 Service
Pulhams Coaches will cease operating the 78 service at the end of duty on Tuesday 31st May 2022. Please contact Gloucestershire County Council for more information.

228 Service
Pulhams Coaches will cease operating the 228 service at the end of duty on Tuesday 31st May 2022. Please contact Gloucestershire County Council for more information.

230 Service
Pulhams Coaches will cease operating the 230 service at the end of duty on Tuesday 31st May 2022. Please contact Gloucestershire County Council for more information.

608 Service
Pulhams Coaches will cease operating the 608 service at the end of duty on Tuesday 31st May 2022. Please contact Gloucestershire County Council for more information.

X8 Service
Please be advised that the X8 service will cease operation on Friday 1st April 2022. We understand this service will not be replaced.

X9 Service
The X9 Service timetable will change from 3rd April 2022. The new timetable is available below.

882 Service
Pulhams Coaches will cease operating the 882 service at the end of duty on Saturday 16th April 2022. Please contact Gloucestershire County Council for more information.

99 Service
The 99 Service hours will be extended from Monday 25th April, 2022. See the new timetable below.

Citistar

Pulham appear to be ending various contracted services in April/May. As other services are continuing I assume it's just end of contract.

https://www.pulhamscoaches.com/bus/
What is interesting amongst these changes is that very few of these services appear to acknowledge of Pulhams publicity that they are supported services. For example, I had assumed the 63 was built upon the back of the home to school service.

Some of these are no real surprise. The 228 and 230 looked like a bit of an odd fit with them as an operator when they took them over from Cotswold Green. The 882 service has ended up looking like a total pudding with a timetable that would challenge even the hardiest of users and an equally bewildering route map.

carlberry

Established Member
What is interesting amongst these changes is that very few of these services appear to acknowledge of Pulhams publicity that they are supported services. For example, I had assumed the 63 was built upon the back of the home to school service.

Some of these are no real surprise. The 228 and 230 looked like a bit of an odd fit with them as an operator when they took them over from Cotswold Green. The 882 service has ended up looking like a total pudding with a timetable that would challenge even the hardiest of users and an equally bewildering route map.
I looked at the 882 on Bustimes and thought it was suffering from it's usual problem with interpreting the data feed however looking on other sources confirmed that it was clearly designed by somebody with a grudge against the users!

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
The 882 service has ended up looking like a total pudding with a timetable that would challenge even the hardiest of users and an equally bewildering route map.

I hadn't heard of the 882, like Carl I had to have a look, but I googled it to find the Pulhams leaflet, took me a while to understand that the headings meant the places it was going through, at first I thought it was 3 different services operating from each place! It is littered with stops that are only used on the school days, then there is a dotted line directly between Cirencester and Kemble, which I'd interpret as limited service, when actually thats the route covered by 99% of the services, with the solid line going via Poole, which really the dotted line should be on the other route!

Then again maybe I've read it wrong!

Citistar

I hadn't heard of the 882, like Carl I had to have a look, but I googled it to find the Pulhams leaflet, took me a while to understand that the headings meant the places it was going through, at first I thought it was 3 different services operating from each place! It is littered with stops that are only used on the school days, then there is a dotted line directly between Cirencester and Kemble, which I'd interpret as limited service, when actually thats the route covered by 99% of the services, with the solid line going via Poole, which really the dotted line should be on the other route!

Then again maybe I've read it wrong!
No, i think you've interpreted it correctly...!

The route appears to be a combination of the 881 (previously A1) service between Ciren and Tetbury, along with the old direct route between Ciren and Gloucester, which i think was previously Stagecoach or Swanbrook 52. Both routes brought along significant School Term variations and shoppers bus oddments and the whole lot has ended up looking in need of a serious tidy.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
As requested, the thread has been reopened for further discussion.

Doctor Fegg

Established Member
Couple of interesting Pulhams-related changes.

The 855 (Cirencester–Bourton/Moreton/Stow) is returning to Pulhams operation from 5th September. Stagecoach West only took it over on 27th June!

Oxfordshire County Council has agreed to financially support the X9 (Chipping Norton–Charlbury–Witney) until 2024. OCC will be funding the implementation of contactless payment on the route, which is long overdue.

Faresaver have just put 2 brand new Enviro 200mmc on the road, SK22BVV and SK22BVW

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Drove along the A37 today past Smith's garage at Pylle. Usually you would see the old fleet outside, and it was with the various Paramounts gently decaying.

However, you'd see a newer coach or two outside as well but nothing. Same as a couple of weeks ago. Did I miss it and they've stopped trading?

Citistar

Drove along the A37 today past Smith's garage at Pylle. Usually you would see the old fleet outside, and it was with the various Paramounts gently decaying.

However, you'd see a newer coach or two outside as well but nothing. Same as a couple of weeks ago. Did I miss it and they've stopped trading?

I can't say a great deal on the subject, but two functional turn-of-the-millenium Plaxton Volvos have left the fleet recently and they were then offered for sale at Gloucester Auctions. I believe the flagship 66-plate which spends most of it's time covering work for South West Coaches is still around, but may be being kept out of sight.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Thanks for that.

I happened to go past again today (twice) and the 66 plate was outside initially - looked like it had just come out of the storage shed. On returning, the doors were still open and looked like a couple of restoration projects inside - something like a Bedford VAL and a Paramount. I was driving past and didn't stop but good to see this quirky little firm is still going!

Marcus Fryer

Information from the Travelwest website:
Applegates have been running a slimmed down version of the 62 between Dursley and Thornbury since last Monday (5/9/22). Meanwhile, route 52 in Bristol is apparently being run by Transpora Group as from today, 12/9/22.

Last edited:

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Change of plan! The Transpora Group thread has now been reopened and posts relating to service 52 have been moved there. See:

richw

Veteran Member
Update from Oates Travel St Ives on their Facebook.

Over the last couple of weeks we’ve been hearing rumours and speculation that Oates Travel are finishing
Well this is not the case!!!!
Durning covid we decided let out our office to a local business that started up during the pandemic as we had to close down due to the travel restrictions
We’ve also had an increase in operating costs (diesel and drivers wages)Then the driver shortage!! The list goes on and these things have affected us very hard!! As with all coach companies we had to streamline our business to survive
So we downsized the fleet from 7 vehicles to 3 vehicles it now consists of a
19 seater
32 seater
And our new 53 seater
we have also decided to concentrate more on our private hire side of the business
and to wind down the day tour side .There will be some special trips
Like Exeter Christmas Markets and Ikea which you’ll be able to book on our website

Attachments

• 8F21F3B5-773B-4910-A9E7-1FB930AD13EB.jpeg
    8F21F3B5-773B-4910-A9E7-1FB930AD13EB.jpeg
    182.4 KB · Views: 19

Marcus Fryer

Bennetts Coaches, who took over the Arle Court Park & Ride service from Stagecoach from 28 November last year on a 12 month contract (with new route number 100 - Stagecoach used 93) are using at least two ex Kings Ferry Alexander Dennis E200MMC, registration numbers YX70 OHJ/OHK.

Swanbrook took over from Stagecoach on route K in Cheltenham (Royal Well- Benhall) from Monday 20 February. Today they were using Wright Streetlite WF MX14 FTY, which they have owned from at least 2015 (pictures on Flickr), so probably from new.

Last edited:

Snow1964

Established Member
Looks like Faresaver of Chippenham are taking over some services on 2nd April

11 Bathampton-Bath
12 Southdown-Oldfield Park-Bath
35 Marshfield-Kingswood

sk688

Confirmed by a Big Lemon driver on the 12 today. Does that leave them with just the 20 in Bath ?