• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

West Ealing (Crossrail) Rebuild Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

itfcfan

West Ealing station was originally due to be rebuilt starting in 2015 and open in 2017. Several delays hit this schedule, with little other than basic ground clearance happening until this year, with a construction contract finally signed in May 2019 between Network Rail and GRAHAM. GRAHAM also won the contract for Acton Mainline and Ealing Broadway station rebuilds.

The station is currently sited on the road bridge (Drayton Green Road) that goes over the GWML at this point, with a very small ticket office and steps down to each of the slow/relief line platforms (no fast/main line platforms exist). This station is due to be closed, with the station re-sited to Manor Road (North of the railway lines). The new station (being closer to level with the station platforms) should have direct access to the up slow/relief platform, with a footbridge (equipped with lifts) providing access to the down slow/relief platform.

The latest plan shows that West Ealing should be "step-free from platform to street by December 2020" (meaning the new entrance would be in use then).

I've recently moved to West Ealing, so I have the chance to follow the progress of the rebuild and take some photos to share here.

20th September
westealing_20190920_1.jpg

10th October
westealing_20191010_1.jpg
westealing_20191010_2.jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MarlowDonkey

I noticed the archive claims that Crossrail would reduce the travel time to Heathrow to 11 minutes. That's nonsense surely as it will remain an all stations service. It's 23 minutes both before and after the December timetable change.

itfcfan

I noticed the archive claims that Crossrail would reduce the travel time to Heathrow to 11 minutes. That's nonsense surely as it will remain an all stations service. It's 23 minutes both before and after the December timetable change.

I think it depends what you measure. Heathrow Central to West Ealing is already timetabled at 15mins - the opposite direction is 17~19mins (in this direction I notice the train usually waits for a few mins in the tunnel from Hayes & Harlington before Heathrow Central - presumably to pick up the right path to Terminal 4). With tighter running (I think the times date from when Turbos were frequently running) it might be reduced. Then there was the rumour of skip-stopping for Crossrail services on the GWML, so that could reduce the time further...

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I think it depends what you measure. Heathrow Central to West Ealing is already timetabled at 15mins - the opposite direction is 17~19mins (in this direction I notice the train usually waits for a few mins in the tunnel from Hayes & Harlington before Heathrow Central - presumably to pick up the right path to Terminal 4). With tighter running (I think the times date from when Turbos were frequently running) it might be reduced. Then there was the rumour of skip-stopping for Crossrail services on the GWML, so that could reduce the time further...
The timetable did have certain trains skip stopping back in 2015, back when that archived piece was written. I don’t think there were West Ealing calls in Heathrow trains at one stage, but there’ve been a few different iterations since then, it’s water under the bridge now.

hwl

Established Member
The eventual westbound T5 services should have slightly better pathing than T4s...

matt_world2004

Established Member
West Ealing should get 8- 10tph going west instead of the original 2tph under gwr and the original 4tph under crossrail

itfcfan

Quite a lot of progress has been made on West Ealing station this year. Even disruption from Covid-19 related restrictions seems to be minimal.

Here's an update from Network Rail:

EbbmfRmWsAACguJ

Great progress at West Ealing where the glazing is being installed into the new station building. The upgrade is in preparation for the Elizabeth line.

Along with the new ticket hall there will be a new footbridge with lifts to provide step free access. #Crossrail

hkstudent

Established Member
West Ealing should get 8- 10tph going west instead of the original 2tph under gwr and the original 4tph under crossrail
Yeah, think about they also get the Greenford branch passengers for interchange there as well, while they lost their direct connection to Paddington...

itfcfan

Yeah, think about they also get the Greenford branch passengers for interchange there as well, while they lost their direct connection to Paddington...

I believe when all parts of Crossrail (the central section and the parts connecting it to the East & West) finally open that West Ealing will see 10tph. London Reconnections did a good analysis of this a couple of years back and I haven't seen anything to contradict this since:

Off-Peak-Western-routes-1.png

Reference: https://www.londonreconnections.com/2018/crossrail-timetable-for-success/

itfcfan

Activity around the new West Ealing station building has been constant over the summer months and into the autumn.

I found this Youtube clip released by the construction company responsible - it shows a nice timelapse of the construction along with an update of the status as of September 2020:

Since that video was made the most visible work from street level has been work on a sub-station immediately to the west of the station building and on the wall separating the site from the street. Looking inside the station, the finished design is planned to be quite spartan so it's hard to tell how much needs to be done. The progress reports state that wiring and plumbing connections have been made.

Taking us up to the current status, here is a photo from the 22nd November:
west_ealing_station_20201122.jpg

Another photo taking through a hole in the hoarding 29th November. It looks like the tickets gates are part-way through installation.

west_ealing_station_20201129.jpg

Last edited:

itfcfan

Some more photos from today (22nd December). The hoardings at the front of the station site were off (temporarily?) and work was being done to the pavement surface with new curbing being put in. From the focus of the works it feels like the project is closing in on completion:
PXL_20201222_134717061.jpg
PXL_20201222_134615235.jpg

Esker-pades

Established Member

itfcfan

The latest Crossrail "West Stations Newsletter" is out for January. It says the new West Ealing station will be open within a couple of months (along with Acton Mainline and interestingly Ealing Broadway, which still looks like it has a longer way to go):
Work continued on each of the six stations over the festive period and we’re pleased to let you know that three of the stations (Acton Main Line, West Ealing and Ealing Broadway) are now close to completion and, following all of the necessary safety and quality checks, will be welcoming passengers in the next couple of months

The following work was complete over the last month:
Over the last month we have completed the installation of the external doors and glazing at West Ealing and are close to completing the installation of the new concourse ceiling. We have completed the finishing work on platform 4 and installed the fire doors. The ticket machines and gate line have now been installed and the final testing and commissioning of these will be completed in January.

And plan for this month:
This month we will be installing the ceilings, internal cladding and glazing, as well as undertaking the reinstatement works on platform 2/3. We will also be completing our public realm work, finishing the internal painting and adding anti-graffiti film before moving on to the final snagging work to prepare the station for hand-over to MTR Elizabeth line.

Reference: https://2577f60fe192df40d16a-ab6562...nal/west_stations_newsletter_january_2021.pdf

Lots of activity at West Ealing station today. Tarmac is being laid on much of the front and sides of the new station entrance.
PXL_20210122_123332780.jpg
One of the construction workers told me the planned date to hand the site back to TfL Rail is 11th March.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.