• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

West Hampstead Milepost 204

Status
Not open for further replies.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Something from one of my observations yesterday, and a quick question.

While travelling along the Great Central Railway metals out of Marylebone, I noticed that just south of West Hampstead station (MR/GCR side) a milepost with the distance of 204.

This decreases away from London, and as the GCR was founded initially by the Manchester, Sheffield, & Lincolnshire Railway, am I right in thinking that the distances were measured from Manchester Central via Hadfield, Woodhead, Annersley, etc?

I've also noticed that the mileposts fluctuate (I was on the 13:10 Marylebone - Birmingham Moor Street), as at Neasden Junction, it starts at 0 and ascends to something like 5 (at West Ruislip), then starts again for the GCR/GWR Alternative Route.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Quail states the 204MP was from Manchester London Road via the GCR.

More generally, between Quainton Road and Harrow-on-the-Hill, it is measured from Baker Street Met, north and south of there respectively use the GCR mileages. Neasden to Northolt is measured from Northolt. Northolt to Ashendon is measured from Northolt, and Ashendon to Aynho is measured from Ashendon.

Status
Not open for further replies.