• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

West Highland Line timetable 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamedwards

I read major changes are planned in particular to Fort William. Does anyone know roughly what is planned yet? Excuse for speculative timetables. Unleash those spreadsheets!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ld0595

With the addition of the 153 bike carriage, changes will absolutely be necessary! I suspect we will see splitting of Oban and Fort William services to facilitate a 4 car 156+153, or perhaps an increase in Fort William services with 2 car 156+153 on the busiest bike/tourist services. Would be nice to see improved connections at Crianlarach between Oban and Fort William, but I accept that passing points may restrict this.

But then again, I don't know much about timetabling!

adamedwards

My hope is for a mid morning train put of Oban. A two car midday train is too late and too full in the summer. Needs a train about 10:00.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
With the addition of the 153 bike carriage, changes will absolutely be necessary! I suspect we will see splitting of Oban and Fort William services to facilitate a 4 car 156+153, or perhaps an increase in Fort William services with 2 car 156+153 on the busiest bike/tourist services. Would be nice to see improved connections at Crianlarach between Oban and Fort William, but I accept that passing points may restrict this.

But then again, I don't know much about timetabling!

I think it was said in the 153 to ScotRail thread that using 153s would mean that present combined Oban/Mallaig trains into/out of Queen Steet would need to be split into seperate workings as 6-cars is the maximum and many are already this length so couldn't have a 153 added on.

adamedwards

I'm aware the other constraint has been using the 156s on commuter trains, hence I assume the 0822 cannot be sooner. I assume that also fixes some evening arrivals.

adamedwards

According to a post in the thread about a possible Faslane station the plan is for hourly trains to Crianlarich alternating between Oban and Fort William. (https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/new-rail-station-at-faslane-submarine-base-to-be-investigated.190023/#post-4182710) That would be a massive increase to Fort William, less so to Oban, but a much better range of connections at Glasgow to the rest of the UK. Fitting the sleeper in reliably may be fun. That assumes this information is correct.

VT 390

Established Member
Does the addition of the 153's mean some services will be 5 carriages throughout? as some services to Fort William are 2 156 units already and if so will they be able to keep to current timings?
Also this may be an obvious question but I am slightly confused as to whether the 153's will be just for luggage/bikes or will also be available to sit in?

2812 Adam

Does the addition of the 153's mean some services will be 5 carriages throughout? as some services to Fort William are 2 156 units already and if so will they be able to keep to current timings?
Also this may be an obvious question but I am slightly confused as to whether the 153's will be just for luggage/bikes or will also be available to sit in?
If i remember correctly, there will be seating along with the luggage/bikes.

Craig2601

Think it’s a half and half set up with half the coaches for seats. Is there not also a small cafe being set up in the coach too?

bionic

I heard from a member of Scotrail staff that they will be recruiting for more train crew at Mallaig, Oban and Fort William soon, in conjunction with the planned upping of the service.

dk1

Veteran Member
I'm premature as always ;) Off to Fort Bill & Oban over the next few days. Not been since 2005 & Spoons have opened in both towns since so require a tick.

Boysteve

According to a post in the thread about a possible Faslane station the plan is for hourly trains to Crianlarich alternating between Oban and Fort William.

I don't believe a proper hourly service is possible as the passing loops are in the 'wrong' place. You would need to utilise loops that are about 25 minutes apart to allow a reliable hourly service to operate. Trains would have to pass at Garelochhead but going North the next options are ~20 minutes away and then ~35 minutes. It might be possible to operate two trains in two hours with intervals of 45m/1h15m.

westralian

I don't believe a proper hourly service is possible as the passing loops are in the 'wrong' place. You would need to utilise loops that are about 25 minutes apart to allow a reliable hourly service to operate. Trains would have to pass at Garelochhead but going North the next options are ~20 minutes away and then ~35 minutes. It might be possible to operate two trains in two hours with intervals of 45m/1h15m.

Arrochar & Tarbet may be 20 minutes away but couldn't Glen Douglas be used as a passing loop?

Boysteve

Arrochar & Tarbet may be 20 minutes away but couldn't Glen Douglas be used as a passing loop?
I forgot about Glen Douglas but judging by RTT it's of limited use. Transit from Craigendoran Jn to Glen Douglas is 27-28 minutes which is on the limit with virtually no real possibility of recovering from minor delays. Add a new station at Faslane and it becomes impossible on the current speed profile. Looking Northwards loops can be found at 9, 22 and then 38 minutes. Passing 22 minutes away would be at Ardlui which has some slack and might work as would give a buffer to balance the very tight section to the South! Certainly Southbound services would have an increased chance of being able to depart from Glen Douglas punctually. However this is all without the proposed Faslane station, if it's built forget Glen Douglas!

dk1

Veteran Member
Very busy services to both today. 4-car 156 on the Fort Bill only just coped with standing passengers on the Oban 156. Conductor also managed to accomodate 16 cycles on the former train.

Status
Not open for further replies.