• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

West Highland line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sulzer023

Does anyone know what freight traffic is currently running to Fort William. I am wondering if the aluminium traffic has altered with the closure of the Alcan plant in Northumberland?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Does anyone know what freight traffic is currently running to Fort William. I am wondering if the aluminium traffic has altered with the closure of the Alcan plant in Northumberland?

The alumina trains from Blyth are still running.

Johnuk123

Established Member
I did see a trainload of timber last year where it started from I don't know.

EltonRoad

There are daily paths for the Alcans trains - loaded going north and empties returning south.

There is a weekly oil train that runs north on Wednesdays and returns empty on ?which day (ran recently on a Friday).

There is currently no timber traffic.

It remains to be seen whether the facility at Corpach will once again generate a freight flow. There is a massive flow of timber in and out of there, brought by sea/road. It was rail-connected when the paper mill was there.

Liam

Established Member
There are daily paths for the Alcans trains - loaded going north and empties returning south.

There is a weekly oil train that runs north on Wednesdays and returns empty on ?which day (ran recently on a Friday).

There is currently no timber traffic.

It remains to be seen whether the facility at Corpach will once again generate a freight flow. There is a massive flow of timber in and out of there, brought by sea/road. It was rail-connected when the paper mill was there.

Didn't some of the timer traffic come from Crianlarich also?

paul1609

Established Member
Yes. There is also, I think, some munitions traffic from Glen Douglas.

The Crianlarich loading point seemed to have been abandoned when I walked the West highland Way at Easter. I don't think that Glen Douglas has seen any traffic for a couple of years at least.

EltonRoad

Didn't some of the timer traffic come from Crianlarich also?

Yes, it used to be loaded at Crianlarich Lower, and the yard at Crianlarich (Upper), as well as Arrochar and other stations, but I don't think there's been any traffic for a couple of years or more.

There seem to be occasional newspaper stories that the Corpach facility has applied for a railfreight grant, but nothing seems to have come of it yet. That would be good; I've heard a rumour that the Alcans raw materials may be diverted by ship to the west coast but don't know how true that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.