• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

West Highland Lines train crew diagrams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sulzer023

With depots at Mallaig, Fort William and Oban, I would be interested to find out more about the Scotrail diagrams. I have seen crew changeovers and layovers at Crianlarich so am wondering how far south the crews from the above depots get. Also, if possible, what jobs are covered by which depot please?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

With depots at Mallaig, Fort William and Oban, I would be interested to find out more about the Scotrail diagrams. I have seen crew changeovers and layovers at Crianlarich so am wondering how far south the crews from the above depots get. Also, if possible, what jobs are covered by which depot please?

Not sure about Oban or Mallaig, but the Fort William drivers only go to Crianlarich and Mallaig. I'd imagine the Mallaig drivers do the same. We've just had a driver move from my depot up to Fort William and he was pretty pleased at the short route he'd be driving!

InOban

Established Member
The standard diagram from Mallaig takes the train to crianlarich where the crew has a 30minute PNB while the Oban crew takes the combined train to Ardlui wher it meets the northbound train. Some Oban turns work through to Glasgow, some, eg the 16.37 ex QS and 20.36 return are, obviously worked by Glasgow crews.

scotraildriver

Established Member
From Glasgow:

The 05.20 is worked by GLQ crew to Ardlui where they swap with an Oban crew who work the 05.20 From Oban. Another crew travel passenger and work the Mallaig portion (Mallaig crew)back to Glasgow from Crianlarich.

The 08.21 crew similarly.

The 10.37 GLQ to OBN/14.41 return is GLQ crew throughout.

The 12.21 from Glasgow and 18.11 return from Oban is a QS crew throughout. The corresponding 12.11 from Oban/ 18.21 return is an Oban crew. The 16.11 to Dalmally is an Oban crew.

The 16.37 GLQ to OBN/20.36 return is GLQ crew.

The 16.05 Mallaig to GLQ is a Mallaig crew to Crianlarich.

Sorry not sure about Fort William but theytake over the 8.21 and 12.21 from Glasgow after it splits at Crianlarich. They also work Fort William to Mallaig.

Last edited:

Tractor2018

the Oban crew takes the combined train to Ardlui wher it meets the northbound train. Some Oban turns work through to Glasgow

Oban work to Dalmally, Crianlarich, Ardlui or Queen Street.

The standard diagram from Mallaig takes the train to crianlarich where the crew has a 30minute PNB

You know that's the bare minimum, right? So, thankfully for the staff involved it's more.

We've just had a driver move from my depot up to Fort William and he was pretty pleased at the short route he'd be driving!

His happiness might relapse after a winter. In the last 18 months there's been trains hit a landslide and came off the road, and a rock strike, which thankfully didn't come off the road as it was on Loch Treig side. (is 103 miles called short these days? outwith Inter City working.)

jamesst

Where are the Scotrail depots? I can imagine Glasgow and Edinburgh having them but are bases as far out as Wick?

jopsuk

Veteran Member
How many drivers and guards are based at each of Oban and Mallaig? Presumably this must be in single figures?

scotraildriver

Established Member
Driver wise Mallaig has 4, Fort William 4 and Oban 6. I can't think who all the guards are though.

His happiness might relapse after a winter. In the last 18 months there's been trains hit a landslide and came off the road, and a rock strike, which thankfully didn't come off the road as it was on Loch Treig side. (is 103 miles called short these days? outwith Inter City working.)

There is that side of it to contend with, but they can happen anywhere on the routes out of our depot aswell. Glasgow - Carlisle via Dumfries is longer, so he is getting a shorter route!

scotraildriver

Established Member
There have been a few vacancies lately actually. A couple went to work for GBRF, some retirements and a few people who moved there from other places and found they couldn't live the lifestyle there, and moved away again.

InOban

Established Member
I'm sure I saw somewhere that all three depots were recruiting. So if you are into the outdoor life, from fishing to mountain biking, now's your chance.

Gemz91

Just checked the Scotrail Careers page and nothing on there. Can't help but think they must get a lot of people moving up there thinking they'll enjoy it then realise a one week walking holiday is very different from living there and can't hack it.

Tractor2018

There is that side of it to contend with, but they can happen anywhere on the routes out of our depot aswell.

Yeah, there's potential everywhere. It's just in recent times, they have been, on the WHL! Lol.

Glasgow - Carlisle via Dumfries is longer, so he is getting a shorter route!

Yeah there's longer, I was just wondering if in other places 103 is considered short - I honestly don't know. You'll sign other routes too I presume, so yeah, his overall mileage has probably reduced drastically! Out of interest, how long is GLC to Carlisle via Dumfries?

Thanks.

I think current compliments on paper for drivers and guards is OBN 6 & 5, FTW, 5 & 5, MLG 5 & 4. But it's a bit 'fluid' at the moment!

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Yeah, there's potential everywhere. It's just in recent times, they have been, on the WHL! Lol.

Yeah there's longer, I was just wondering if in other places 103 is considered short - I honestly don't know. You'll sign other routes too I presume, so yeah, his overall mileage has probably reduced drastically! Out of interest, how long is GLC to Carlisle via Dumfries?

Thanks.

I think current compliments on paper for drivers and guards is OBN 6 & 5, FTW, 5 & 5, MLG 5 & 4. But it's a bit 'fluid' at the moment!

It is normally about 2hrs 30min.

_toommm_

Established Member
Just checked the Scotrail Careers page and nothing on there. Can't help but think they must get a lot of people moving up there thinking they'll enjoy it then realise a one week walking holiday is very different from living there and can't hack it.

Just over 115 miles end to end

Sulzer023

From Glasgow:

The 05.20 is worked by GLQ crew to Ardlui where they swap with an Oban crew who work the 05.20 From Oban. Another crew travel passenger and work the Mallaig portion (Mallaig crew)back to Glasgow from Crianlarich.

The 08.21 crew similarly.

The 10.37 GLQ to OBN/14.41 return is GLQ crew throughout.

The 12.21 from Glasgow and 18.11 return from Oban is a QS crew throughout. The corresponding 12.11 from Oban/ 18.21 return is an Oban crew. The 16.11 to Dalmally is an Oban crew.

The 16.37 GLQ to OBN/20.36 return is GLQ crew.

The 16.05 Mallaig to GLQ is a Mallaig crew to Crianlarich.

Sorry not sure about Fort William but theytake over the 8.21 and 12.21 from Glasgow after it splits at Crianlarich. They also work Fort William to Mallaig.

Many thanks for this and all replies. Do any Fort William and Mallaig crews sign south of Crianlarch at all in case of late running or other causes? Also it looks as if some Fort William and Mallaig jobs could be shared or covered by either depot except perhaps the first one out and last ones back.
Interesting too on the number of drivers at each depot.

380gk

Many thanks for this and all replies. Do any Fort William and Mallaig crews sign south of Crianlarch at all in case of late running or other causes? Also it looks as if some Fort William and Mallaig jobs could be shared or covered by either depot except perhaps the first one out and last ones back.
Interesting too on the number of drivers at each depot.
No FW or Mallaig crews go south of Crianlarich which is odd when Aberdeen apparently go all the way to Glasgow, but that’s the world we live in.

berneyarms

Established Member
Back in the days when the Caledonian Sleeper was integrated with the main Scotrail franchise, did the drivers and guards swap over at Rannoch (Bridge of Orchy on Sundays)?
Certainly the guards did.

The guard off the 18:15 from Mallaig then worked the sleeper to Rannoch where he switched trains.

Tractor2018

No FW or Mallaig crews go south of Crianlarich which is odd when Aberdeen apparently go all the way to Glasgow, but that’s the world we live in.

It WOULD be odd, if there was PNB facilities at Ardlui or Arrochar........but there isn't. THAT'S the world we operate in.

EDIT - The next place with facilities is Dalmuir. Which takes nearly twice as long to get to from Mallaig as your suggested journey from aberdeen to Glasgow. Journey time, plus PNB for a +10 hour shift, and booking on off time takes you over the maximum shift length.

Last edited:

scotraildriver

Established Member
Aberdeen to Glasgow is 3 hours. Mallaig to Glasgow is 5hrs 10 mins. Including the required break thats almost a 12 hour shift. The maximum rostrered shift is 10 hours. Fort William crews could do it but there is no requirement.

Tractor2018

Aberdeen to Glasgow is 3 hours. Mallaig to Glasgow is 5hrs 10 mins.
I'm only pointing this out to highlight the difference between GLQ-MLG to GLQ--ABD (I know you're aware! But it seems not everyone is!), so please excuse the pedantry. Aberdeen to Glasgow is, on average, 2.40ish and Queen Street to Mallaig is 5.20ish. So double.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.