• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

West Kirby [WKI] to Edinburgh [EDB] routeing

Status
Not open for further replies.

errata

Evening all,

I'm trying to acquire a ticket from WKI (West Kirby) to EDB (Edinburgh)

The Routeing guide shows ER + LY as being acceptable from Liverpool Group to Edinburgh Group, but I can't find any fares or journey itineraries online from WKI to EDB via York.

Can anyone help me out and advise how I might go about finding this fare? Is it acceptable to purchase a Standard Off Peak Return with my YP card and travel on this route? Is it likely that I will encounter questioning from guards en-route?

Looking forward to your learned responses!

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sonic2009

Established Member
The only fares available from West Kirby - Edinburgh are Route Carlisle Tickets. This means you must travel via Carlisle.

wrong info given

Last edited:

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Using Liverpool Group-Edinburgh Group gives us many map combinations, the first of which is CP+TP+ER which allows:

Liverpool-Hunts Cross/Earlestown-Manchester-Leeds-York-Newcastle-Edinburgh

Amongst other routes.

However you may need to buy a ticket to Liverpool and a 'rte Any Permitted' ticket from there. I have a suspicion there is no 'rte Any Permitted' fares from West Kirby to Edinburgh.

errata

Does this mean that I have collated incorrect info.? Or does does West Kirby indeed come under the Liverpool Group, but the ticket is simply not available?

I have looked up LIV > EDB and can indeed find an "any permitted" ticket; but with a somewhat remarkable increase in price -- it doesn't appear to be that much further of a distance.

Thanks for the info.; the insight is very much appreciated. As an aside, I have been a lurker on the site for many months and never cease to be fascinated by the wealth of knowledge and the super-quick responses that are provided on the forum. I have tried to use the information available on the forum to the best of my ability as a means of finding answers to my questions but in this case became unstuck! This is my first delve into posting and I hope that I can in the future become an active member of your community.

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
An Off-Peak Return Liverpool Stations to Edinburgh route PRESTON is the same price (£65.70) as an Off-Peak Return West Kirby to Edinburgh route CARLISLE. The extra routeing availability of the ANY PERMITTED ticket would appear to be reflected in the increased price. It just looks like an anomaly that an ANY PERMITTED fare is not also available from West Kirby.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Does this mean that I have collated incorrect info.? Or does does West Kirby indeed come under the Liverpool Group, but the ticket is simply not available?....

West Kirby has Liverpool Group as a routeing point but there is not an available fare for the route via York.

John @ home

Established Member
An Off-Peak Return Liverpool Stations to Edinburgh route PRESTON is the same price (£65.70) as an Off-Peak Return West Kirby to Edinburgh route CARLISLE.
If the OP particularly wants to travel via York, the £65.70 (Railcard £43.35) Liverpool Stations to Edinburgh route Preston ticket allows this using map combination CP+TP+ER:
CP: Liverpool - Ormskirk - Preston
TP: Preston - Blackburn - Hebden Bridge - Bradford - Leeds - York
ER: York - (Durham or Sunderland) - Newcastle - Edinburgh
The £65.70 (Railcard £43.35) West Kirby - Edinburgh route Carlisle ticket does not allow travel via York (unless trains are diverted).

Last edited:

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I think that you are confusing the concept of an associated routeing point, which for West Kirby we have either Liverpool Group or Shotton (which is, or if both are, appropriate would depend on the fares check), and the concept of station groups for routeing purposes, which consists of Birkenhead Hamilton Square, Edge Hill, James Street, Liverpool Central, Lime Street, Liverpool Landing Stage, Moorfields and Sandhills for Liverpool Group. There is also the concept of station groups for fares purposes, which in this case consists of Liverpool Central, Lime Street, James Street and Moorfields only for Liverpool Stations.

West Kirby is not a member of the Liverpool Group routeing point, however Liverpool Group is an appropriate routeing point for West Kirby after the fares check, hence you may travel by shortest distance (or those no more than 3 miles longer) or direct trains to Liverpool Group and then follow permitted routes to your destination, subject to any routeing restrictions attached to the fare you paid.

West Kirby is not a member of Liverpool Stations for fares purposes so you cannot look up routeing restrictions for Liverpool Stations fares in order to use it for West Kirby. You need to look at routeing restrictions for West Kirby fares. After all, you're not buying a ticket to/from Liverpool Stations, you're buying a ticket to/from West Kirby. The only routeing available for the flow West Kirby - Edinburgh is routed Carlisle. If you want the additional flexibility of travelling via York then you will need a separate ticket between West Kirby and Liverpool Stations, then an Any Permitted (or Route Preston as pointed out by the thread above) ticket between Liverpool Stations and Edinburgh.

Status
Not open for further replies.