• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

West Lothian buses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mb88

LCB are looking at another service change this spring according to Twitter

https://mobile.twitter.com/LothianCountry/status/1225840675146600448

Nothing to get excited about, it’s just timetable changes to improve reliability. It’s been universally accepted the last round of changes, and in particular the interworking that was introduced, has not worked. Thankfully, the 280 and 287 are to have increased running times, and the X17/X18/275 will get more time along the Broxburn corridor. We’re losing a lot of time there, especially when stuck behind a First bus doing about 10mph.

Last edited:

lastbus

Nothing to get excited about, it’s just timetable changes to improve reliability. It’s been universally accepted the last round of changes, and in particular the interworking that was introduced, has not worked. Thankfully, the 280 and 287 are to have increased running times, and the X17/X18/275 will get more time along the Broxburn corridor. We’re losing a lot of time there, especially when stuck behind a First bus doing about 10mph.
Why would the First bus be doing 10mph?

lastbus

Double decker on X22 yesterday. Rare for shotts to see a double decker on a service route.

Stopper

First buses do appear to be a lot slower than Lothian Buses, especially on the 38 route. When I’m driving behind them at the weekend, you always look to get past the First 38 whereas the Lothian one is always going about the speed limit. I’m guessing First have older buses?

Jordan Adam

Established Member
First buses do appear to be a lot slower than Lothian Buses, especially on the 38 route. When I’m driving behind them at the weekend, you always look to get past the First 38 whereas the Lothian one is always going about the speed limit. I’m guessing First have older buses?

A bus being older has nothing to do with how fast it can go, in actual reality most of the older buses from the 00s are much faster than the newer ones. But even then it's a very irrelevant factor. Of course it has been reported numerous times by members of the public that LCB drivers have been caught driving "recklessly", these are not my words and i do not make such claims. But i just want to highlight that. A bus is a large vehicle with a precious load, if a road has a 30MPH speed limit it doesn't mean you have to drive at 30MPH, you drive at a safe speed to suit road conditions and the variable factors (park cars, blind spot corners/junctions, pedestrians etc). I'd rather be stuck behind a bus doing 20MPH with a safe driver than one doing 30MPH swerving all over the place to avoid obstacles etc, sadly some car drivers are too self centred and don't think of the reasons why a large vehicle may be moving slower.

mb88

Why would the First bus be doing 10mph?

Presumably because they have too much running time.

"We're loosing a lot of time there" would suggest that said user is a LCB driver.... Need i say more.

And what exactly do you mean by that comment? As for LCB drivers being caught driving recklessly are we therefore to judge an entire workforce on the basis of your sweeping statements? Have no bus drivers from any other company ever been caught driving ‘recklessly’? I’m not talking about swerving round things at 30mph I’m talking about buses driving excessively slow on straight sections of road with good visibility all round.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
And what exactly do you mean by that comment? As for LCB drivers being caught driving recklessly are we therefore to judge an entire workforce on the basis of your sweeping statements? Have no bus drivers from any other company ever been caught driving ‘recklessly’? I’m not talking about swerving round things at 30mph I’m talking about buses driving excessively slow on straight sections of road with good visibility all round.

There's been a lot of false stories being made up by drivers and staff on either side regarding the other company. I'm not saying you're a liar or entirely wrong but the "We’re losing a lot of time there, especially when stuck behind a First bus doing about 10mph." is an over exaggeration and probably not entirely the truth. You're blaming the other company because your own company have not put enough time in the timetable to get from one timing point to another, it's a classic moan during a "bus war".

As for the reckless driving remarks. Read what i said again, i clearly stated those are not my words... Good and bad driving occurs at both companies, i generally (with exception for a few cases) do not believe there is such thing as one operator having "better or worse" drivers, i was simply making the point that in the past there had been concerns from the public regarding driving standards at LCB due to the tight timetables - which you have already agreed is an issue.

Edirim

Regular lcb/first user and can confirm in Edinburgh to Ratho section, first have increased running times to make buses punctual while lcb cut times and are rather late... Even at 6am.
You can see first drivers pottering along at a slow pace and stopping every few stops while lcb just look to overtake first and then foot to floor to catch up their time.

Train368

The X18 timetable really needs changed. Throughout the morning peak services don't run on timetable and it isn't Lothians fault as it's usually traffic to blame but as I used the X18 from Edinburgh to Bathgate it just means the 07:47 service runs regularly 15 minutes late. There has been a few times now the drivers have had to terminate the service at Bathgate or Armadale as it ends up over 30 minutes late... Not good

Weemidi135

Does anyone know how the Horsburgh Public Inquiry went?

adjourned after 2 days until another day (not yet known) case in my opinion not as strong as you would think I believe they will possibly walk away with a fine and possibly someone losing there position of responsibility but can’t confirm this is my feeling

Weemidi135

A bus being older has nothing to do with how fast it can go, in actual reality most of the older buses from the 00s are much faster than the newer ones. But even then it's a very irrelevant factor. Of course it has been reported numerous times by members of the public that LCB drivers have been caught driving "recklessly", these are not my words and i do not make such claims. But i just want to highlight that. A bus is a large vehicle with a precious load, if a road has a 30MPH speed limit it doesn't mean you have to drive at 30MPH, you drive at a safe speed to suit road conditions and the variable factors (park cars, blind spot corners/junctions, pedestrians etc). I'd rather be stuck behind a bus doing 20MPH with a safe driver than one doing 30MPH swerving all over the place to avoid obstacles etc, sadly some car drivers are too self centred and don't think of the reasons why a large vehicle may be moving slower.

The person who reports this all the time is a taxi driver with a bone to pick with Lothian it’s obvious from his comments that he clearly just has a dislike for us

Jordan Adam

Established Member
The person who reports this all the time is a taxi driver with a bone to pick with Lothian it’s obvious from his comments that he clearly just has a dislike for us

Wouldn't surprise me, but to be fair i have seen others making the same sort of remarks.

CM

And some buses from the 80s/90s could be even faster than buses from the 00s by quite a good margin! Modern buses just don't seem to have the get-up and go of older buses, nor do they have the comfort either.

Observer

adjourned after 2 days until another day (not yet known) case in my opinion not as strong as you would think I believe they will possibly walk away with a fine and possibly someone losing there position of responsibility but can’t confirm this is my feeling
So it was done over two days? Not surprised if they get let off in the end anyway...

Was anything mentioned in particular? Or was it just mostly about the fires and that crash?

Weemidi135

So it was done over two days? Not surprised if they get let off in the end anyway...

Was anything mentioned in particular? Or was it just mostly about the fires and that crash?

most of day 1 was spent going over the drivers who were part of the case but also up infront of the traffic commissioner for various offences relating to drivers hours

Weemidi135

What was the case entailing though? As I'm sure it was more than just drivers hours.

vehicle prohibitions where points of the case also lack of record keeping was a main concern it seems a lack of knowledge is a theme throughout and the obvious points where mentioned of the vehicle fires and crash also news paper articles about the condition of vehicles

CN04NRJ

Established Member

That's excellent, the 287 always seems to run late - not that I mind too much as it has always turned up eventually.

mb88

That's excellent, the 287 always seems to run late - not that I mind too much as it has always turned up eventually.

Indeed. I think they’ve finally realised that running a half hourly service on the 287 with 3 buses isn’t achievable. Likewise with a 20 minute service on the 280 with 6 buses. Drivers have been under a lot of stress since November and I know I’m certainly not the only one who’s waiting to see how things pan out in March before deciding whether to stick around or not.

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
Personally the 287 seems to be on dying legs especially if the evening service has been stripped, either cut it down to hourly or withdraw it altogether!

The 275 seems to get the most complaints on Twitter regarding its timetable at peak times and allocation to being a single decker service, hopefully they can fix that or even if they just cut it from Livingston to Gyle to try and keep up with the timetable

The X18 also seems to be a subject to controversy with the timetable changes, especially in the morning

jb66

Personally the 287 seems to be on dying legs especially if the evening service has been stripped, either cut it down to hourly or withdraw it altogether!

The 275 seems to get the most complaints on Twitter regarding its timetable at peak times and allocation to being a single decker service, hopefully they can fix that or even if they just cut it from Livingston to Gyle to try and keep up with the timetable

The X18 also seems to be a subject to controversy with the timetable changes, especially in the morning

Cutting the 275 leaves Pumperston and uphall station without a lothian service

jb66

West lothian buses are too expensive, £7.60 return on lothian country from uphall, train is only £5.90

Weemidi135

the 287 is not dying statistically it’s Livingston’s busiest route

Baileygirl

West lothian buses are too expensive, £7.60 return on lothian country from uphall, train is only £5.90
Lothian Country does not go to Edinburgh from Uphall Station. So would cost more than £7.60 as you would need to change buses unless you bought a day ticket.at £8.00

Last edited:

Baileygirl

I think that's precisely the point this person was making. It isn't possible to tailor the rail service to suit the needs of some people living in the Linlithgow area. But it can be done easier using buses that are kept in a nearby depot. Therefore their argument is that a market exists for the EX2 bus service, regardless of the fact that its route goes between some railway stations at slower point-to-point timings.
Depot not that local. Must cost Lothian Country a lot on dead mileage and for shuttles to serve the EX2, X38 and 43 from Deans

Status
Not open for further replies.