• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

West Lothian buses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

scotrail158713

Established Member
Do First actually want passengers on their buses? I’ve got a few one off journeys I intend on doing whenever it is safe to do so, so emailed them regarding prices. This was the reply I received:
Thank you for your recent correspondence.

Due to the wide range of fare stages in your region, we do not currently have information on all single fare prices. We are working on this and I apologise that I cannot provide the specific information requested at this point.

However, I can advise that our driver will be happy to advise on the price of the specified single journey upon boarding the bus.
I’m more annoyed as they weren’t complex tickets - just Edinburgh to Livingston single etc. I’d prefer to know in advance of getting on the bus how much it will cost.
LCB may not survive in West Lothian but for as long as they’re around I’ll be using them, purely because I can find out how much a journey costs before getting on the bus.

Rant over :)

OmniCity999

Established Member
First is £4.70, this info is on Traveline scotland.

You shouldn't have to goto a third party to find out information about a service.

You wouldnt goto your butcher to find out the cost of a salmon at your fishmonger.

First Scotland East have always had this issue. Right back to when they were in East Lothian and the Borders. They always made it difficult to find fare information or even a route map.

Customers want clear and concise information in the easiest form, it's nothing against first it's just true...

Train man

There was a car that hit one of the pink airport buses and there was a dent at the left hand side of the vehicle below the tail lights (Hard to see) Thought l’d share it here. This was taken in Bathgate.

Attachments

• 81F44B6F-63F3-409E-8698-5BFB90C24DEA.jpeg
    81F44B6F-63F3-409E-8698-5BFB90C24DEA.jpeg
    243.1 KB · Views: 72
  • 6E3A8AE1-15BC-4004-87B8-BD33D0DCA377.jpeg
    6E3A8AE1-15BC-4004-87B8-BD33D0DCA377.jpeg
    268.8 KB · Views: 70

scotrail158713

Established Member
You shouldn't have to goto a third party to find out information about a service.

You wouldnt goto your butcher to find out the cost of a salmon at your fishmonger.

First Scotland East have always had this issue. Right back to when they were in East Lothian and the Borders. They always made it difficult to find fare information or even a route map.

Customers want clear and concise information in the easiest form, it's nothing against first it's just true...
Couldn’t agree more. I have nothing against First, I just use whoever is cheaper for my, fairly infrequent, journeys to West Lothian - whether First or LCB. But to compare it, First’s information needs to be available. For example, I was using them once a week to and from Hermiston P&R pre-lockdown - but I only knew about that because it was posted on here.
Any other operator around here seems to have the information available - Lothian, Citylink, Borders Buses, Eve, Prentice. And the Stagecoach one is a bother to find initially but does exist.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches

Agreed. When I go to do my shopping at the supermarket, I don't want to wait until I get to the checkout to find out how much each item costs. It should be a legal requirement (if it isn't already) to publish all fares up front.

overthewater

Established Member
First like Stagecoach would rather you buy Day and megariders to get you to use the bus.

I remember a few passengers complaining about costs of single and asked how other passenger could afford them, of course we always replied we by Day and megariders ;)

scotrail158713

Established Member
First like Stagecoach would rather you buy Day and megariders to get you to use the bus.

I remember a few passengers complaining about costs of single and asked how other passenger could afford them, of course we always replied we by Day and megariders ;)
At least Stagecoach have a journey planner that gives the price of a single for any journey

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
Agreed. When I go to do my shopping at the supermarket, I don't want to wait until I get to the checkout to find out how much each item costs. It should be a legal requirement (if it isn't already) to publish all fares up front.
In England, as part of the Bus Open Data service, operators will be legally required to publish and regularly update timetable, basic fare/ticket info and real time location data by 7 January 2021.

Jordan Adam

Established Member

This is the long standing issue across all First operations now. Mainly due to the fact that the social media pages are run out of a office in Leeds rather than locally. The First website does list fares but it can be very vague. It doesn't help that they've removed all the area specific pages that used to list more detailed fare info.

duffers2324

Agreed and the thing that makes looking for First fares is that if you do find the fare it usually states "from" x amount so in Glasgow for Eg "from" £1.70, so you still have to ask the driver for the exact fare for the distance travelled, this is probably more prevalent on Lanarkshire services were it crosses several fare boundaries.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Agreed and the thing that makes looking for First fares is that if you do find the fare it usually states "from" x amount so in Glasgow for Eg "from" £1.70, so you still have to ask the driver for the exact fare for the distance travelled, this is probably more prevalent on Lanarkshire services were it crosses several fare boundaries.

Agreed. It's not very useful for those outside the area or non-regular bus users. Especially when you're expected to have exact fare.

scotrail158713

Established Member
Agreed. It's not very useful for those outside the area or non-regular bus users. Especially when you're expected to have exact fare.
Agreed. It’s a bit easier now you can pay with contactless - but it would still be preferable to know beforehand.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
The Stagecoach website lacks a proper route list like what most other operators have with is something i've always been critical of. However the abysmal fare info on the First website takes the biscuit, it's impossible to work out the single fare for most journeys. At least here (First Aberdeen) and at Scotland East they've always been pretty good when it comes to maps, compared to Glasgow who were showing an outdated 2017 network map in jpg format that was impossible to read until quite recently!

Actually on that note First Scotland East are normally on the ball when it comes to maps/timetables and general online publicity, they seem to be better at it than most other opcos.

Last edited:

scotrail158713

Established Member
Actually on that note First Scotland East are normally on the ball when it comes to maps/timetables and general online publicity, they seem to be better at it than most other opcos.
Yep I’ll give First that. It’s quite easy to find and view maps/timetables for journeys.
Now they just need to tell us how much journeys cost.

Once you find the correct section, Stagecoach offer a comprehensive list of prices for any journey you put in - singles, day & period returns, day tickets, weekly tickets, 4 weekly ones etc. It’s very helpful for planning journeys.

route101

Established Member
Indeed the Stagecoach website lacks a proper route list like what most other operators have with is something i've always been critical of. However the abysmal fare info on the First website takes a biscuit, it's impossible to work out the single fare for most journeys. At least here (First Aberdeen) and at Scotland East they've always been pretty good when it comes to maps, compared to Glasgow who were showing an outdated 2017 network map in jpg format that was impossible to read until quite recently!

Yeah i remember finding it difficult to find fares for FSE. An app does make it easier now to get them awkward tickets, without the ' wtf or eh' from the driver.

Yeah , stagey lacks a list.

overthewater

Established Member
What has happened to the WEST Lothian council retendering? It was supposed to have happened in early new year, but never did, it seems to be getting deley will into next year ?

overthewater

Established Member
It's like were back to Square one, only X18, X27, and X28 will continue to operate, however X18 now get extra runs within west lothian, Why has nothing else been restarted?

scotrail158713

Established Member
It's like were back to Square one, only X18, X27, and X28 will continue to operate, however X18 now get extra runs within west lothian, Why has nothing else been restarted?
I think when non-essential shops get the go-ahead to reopen here the more local routes within West Lothian will restart then

DunsBus

Established Member
A good number of them are already opening and your see plenty more appear on Monday. Matalan is open now.

Buses will continue running a restricted service for at least another few weeks until Scotland enters stage 3 of exiting lockdown. Although shops are gradually reopening the message from the Scottish Government is still to avoid non-essential travel - and that includes shopping at Matalan!

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Buses will continue running a restricted service for at least another few weeks until Scotland enters stage 3 of exiting lockdown. Although shops are gradually reopening the message from the Scottish Government is still to avoid non-essential travel - and that includes shopping at Matalan!

As a generalisation this isn't true. Much of Stagecoach's services within Scotland are increasing from Monday and First are due to be announcing some increases too. Just because the Gov advice at the moment is to avoid non-essential travel it doesn't meant it will still be that this time next week.

Journeyman

Established Member
I think if they sell homeware they are allowed to open ,Next opened up near me

Yeah, any shops selling any items deemed essential are allowed to open fully and sell anything they have in stock. Some big stores that qualify have chosen to remain closed, though.

CN04NRJ

Established Member
Alot of very unhappy punters tonight along the X38 route, people left behind at the first stop on Princes Street.

I was travelling on the X18 and there were numerous left behind until it turned off along the A8.

Hopefully LCB will reinstate their X38 soon before these people turn to private cars and not return to public transport once restrictions are lifted.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Alot of very unhappy punters tonight along the X38 route, people left behind at the first stop on Princes Street.

I was travelling on the X18 and there were numerous left behind until it turned off along the A8.

Hopefully LCB will reinstate their X38 soon before these people turn to private cars and not return to public transport once restrictions are lifted.

The First X38 is increasing from Monday, i had a look on the app around 10am and there was one Edinburgh bound full before it got to Linlithgow. As i'm sure you're aware part of the issue with the X38 is that deckers are not suitable. I can't see the LCB X38 being reinstated at the moment as it's in no way an essential service and the Gov are more likely to put funding towards the First route.

Status
Not open for further replies.