• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

West Lothian buses

Status
Not open for further replies.

overthewater

Established Member
I see LCB are doing Bus surveys this week.

Also has anyone else notice the big new circular desk that has appeared in the "Centre" next to the escalator. Its seems rather big just for the centre staff. Could it also hold a new enquire desk for Lothian?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
I'm not saying that the bus will be a success, but if you are going to compete with trains then providing buses with a guaranteed seat against trains where there’s no guarantee of sitting down doesn’t seem like a bad tactic to me – at least the bus can offer seats as well as potentially more flexible fares etc etc.

Depending where you live in Bathgate or where you are getting off in Edinburgh, the bus might be more useful for some people and some people might prefer being sat down for an hour to being stood up against someone’s armpit for half an hour. Not everyone, but enough to make a market big enough for bus to compete

Seems to be so far so good from what I heard, at the very least people have an alternative from the train, it might not be as fast but you’ll still get a seat and save a little bit of money, while personally I pick the bus over the train anyway (unless it’s a long distance journey) you just get more of a good view of your surroundings on the bus!

Also if you live in Wester inch, you can get straight from your door to Edinburgh city centre ;) I dont think the demand is here for Armadale section, and again the bus will not be able to offer passenger the change to Edinburgh park without a walk OR more importantly North Edinburgh.

Lets wait till the next train strike/ faults on the line / Lack of Driver crews which are becoming even increase due to the overtime ban, X18 may will end up with lots of new passengers without even trying...

Lothian sure seem to have an interest in the area that’s for sure, the day tickets are still handy for switching over from the X18 to other services. (20,63,275,300,400: to Edinburgh Park from Gogarburn A8) and (200: to North Edinburgh), it may not be direct but it’s handy to have other connecting services, especially with the X18 having one stop to connect with the 200 towards Granton.

It’s hard to tell which service will be more popular by next year, I’ve heard good news regarding the X18, might of lifted a few Bathgate passengers from the X27/X28, so hopefully the service continues to be used

In Focus

Seems to be so far so good from what I heard, at the very least people have an alternative from the train, it might not be as fast but you’ll still get a seat and save a little bit of money, while personally I pick the bus over the train anyway (unless it’s a long distance journey) you just get more of a good view of your surroundings on the bus!

Lothian sure seem to have an interest in the area that’s for sure, the day tickets are still handy for switching over from the X18 to other services. (20,63,275,300,400: to Edinburgh Park from Gogarburn A8) and (200: to North Edinburgh), it may not be direct but it’s handy to have other connecting services, especially with the X18 having one stop to connect with the 200 towards Granton.

It’s hard to tell which service will be more popular by next year, I’ve heard good news regarding the X18, might of lifted a few Bathgate passengers from the X27/X28, so hopefully the service continues to be used
The ones I have seen coming to and from Bathgate and Arnadale are empty so they will need to take a lot of passengers from Uphall and Broxburn into town for it to be sustainable .
And as for using Gardner's lane that's certainly a novel idea when coming from Armadale.

overthewater

Established Member
How on earth can x18 nick passengers from x27/28? Then begs the question how long can thoses routes last.

In Focus

How on earth can x18 nick passengers from x27/28? Then begs the question how long can thoses routes last.
They now have 4 routes x27 x28 x18 and 280 covering same stretch from Bathgate to Tesco past Boghall(which has a scheme bus) I'm not quite sure how busy they thought this stretch of road was but when you add in First 25 and the 29 it's certainly diluted to the point of almost drowning in buses now .
I would say the 275 has picked up a little since starting mainly due to timing through Whitburn and Blackburn although the Blue bus is still maintaining probably a better ratio of passengers than either the 275 or 22 services on this corridor.

Driver362

I note first are conducting some market research/bus surveys themselves,can't be bad to pay an inspector to tail x18's through wester inch in a van ,he could.have saved himself the trouble and just checked the comment section in here and he would have found all our buses are empty ,job done ✔

In Focus

I note first are conducting some market research/bus surveys themselves,can't be bad to pay an inspector to tail x18's through wester inch in a van ,he could.have saved himself the trouble and just checked the comment section in here and he would have found all our buses are empty ,job done ✔
Definetly not all "empty " the 275 I have seen with a few and the 280(duplicate of 25) has it's moments but certainly not the "cash cow" they must have envisaged to move into a new area with such aggression and expense and the worst is yet to come . Btw how is Newbridge depot coming along if that gets going it would be a massive statement and £saver ?

Lothian285

Lothian Motorcoaches have already moved to Newbridge depot so it shouldn't be too long before Lothian Country does as well.

Driver362

We have been given a date so I'm fairly comfortable with that ,but yes will.make.a.big difference to all concerned for a whole host of reasons but as Lothian 285 has commented coaches are already there ,but a whole host of infrastructure has to be out in place still for example fuel tanks ,puts workshop facilities not to mention offices drivers rest rooms etc a big undertaking ,so we as employees just have to be patient hope this kinda answers your question

In Focus

We have been given a date so I'm fairly comfortable with that ,but yes will.make.a.big difference to all concerned for a whole host of reasons but as Lothian 285 has commented coaches are already there ,but a whole host of infrastructure has to be out in place still for example fuel tanks ,puts workshop facilities not to mention offices drivers rest rooms etc a big undertaking ,so we as employees just have to be patient hope this kinda answers your question
Cheers , definetly a big move and imo a massive statement of intent.

overthewater

Established Member

As its been said, No one is hitting the ball out of the park.. First has full buses and LCB has full buses but First and LCB also have empty buses. First should just pack up the van at the roundabout either side.

When is LCB going to go to the council to get rid of all those tenders routes?

smtglasgow

The way I see it, the new depot at Newbridge is risk-free for Lothian. If LCB takes off, they’ve got a base closer to West Lothian, so costs come down. If they decide to pull out of West Lothian, they’ve still got additional depot capacity for the city network. Edinburgh is going to keep on expanding westwards over the next decade, so a depot in Newbridge makes sense (and would keep the LCB drivers in work if it all goes pear-shaped).

TheEastCoaster

Established Member

I was mostly meaning those who want a direct link to Bathgate from Edinburgh, not the Livingston residents.

As its been said, No one is hitting the ball out of the park.. First has full buses and LCB has full buses but First and LCB also have empty buses. First should just pack up the van at the roundabout either side.

When is LCB going to go to the council to get rid of all those tenders routes?

Well if both companies are doing roughly 50/50 in terms of numbers then maybe the real benefiters are the passengers, some have their preferences in operator while others just pick whichever bus comes first (pardon the pun), if that’s the case I can imagine both operations staying for a good while.

I tried the X18 again on Sunday and the one I was on was pretty quiet again, though it’s hard to compare a Sunday morning to any weekday peak time in terms of passenger numbers, every other time I’ve seen it’s looked fairly busy, I think having more stops than the X27/X28 helps with that though lol.

I’m unfamiliar with the West Lothian tender routes except the 40/X40 which I think would work under LCB if they went for it!

Finally going to try the 275 tommorow, going to see if it’s busy on-route to Livingston or if it’ll be a peaceful journey haha.

In Focus

I was mostly meaning those who want a direct link to Bathgate from Edinburgh, not the Livingston esidents.

Well if both companies are doing roughly 50/50 in terms of numbers then maybe the real benefiters are the passengers, some have their preferences in operator while others just pick whichever bus comes first (pardon the pun), if that’s the case I can imagine both operations staying for a good while.

I tried the X18 again on Sunday and the one I was on was pretty quiet again, though it’s hard to compare a Sunday morning to any weekday peak time in terms of passenger numbers, every other time I’ve seen it’s looked fairly busy, I think having more stops than the X27/X28 helps with that though lol.

I’m unfamiliar with the West Lothian tender routes except the 40/X40 which I think would work under LCB if they went for it!

Finally going to try the 275 tommorow, going to see if it’s busy on-route to Livingston or if it’ll be a peaceful journey haha.

Stood at Boghall roundabout at 655 this morning X18 had 1 passenger and that was at Boghall stop that's it's been from Armadale and through Bathgate so it's solely reliant on Uphall and Broxburn ,x28 had 2 passengers and the 25 had around 10 passengers that's 13 passengers between 3 buses at what you would call just pre peak , there is no way all these services are remaining running around West Lothian unless someone takes away train and all motor cars are banned !!
The 275 as far as I can see is one of LCB routes that might have a chance of success and seems due to timing tohave the upper hand over 22 service although the 701 still takes a fair amount of both these services.

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
So after trying the 275 for the first time today it’s safe to say it’s definitely not the fastest way to Livingston Centre lol.

Service was pretty mild in terms of passengers, few of us (4 people) got on at the Gyle with two passengers already boarded prior, got one passenger at Newbridge and picked up a few folk at Broxburn, however First 24 overtook the 275 halfway through Broxburn and the passangers boarded that one as it was right in front of us, ended up overtaking the service at Pumpherston with one passanger boarding at the turning circle, and from then on it was a few empty stops coming into Livingston and some folk got on/off now and then.

overall it’s a handy service for regular commuters and was glad to try it the one time, though tbh i’ll stick to the X27/X28 if I’m going back to Livingston again.

As I mentioned before I guess whatever bus comes to the bus stop first the folk of West Lothian will go for, noticed the X18 and 275 on the way to Broxburn coming towards Edinburgh with a fair loading of passangers too, also paying the 1.70 fare through contactless is much more handy.

(Update: on an X28 heading back to Edinburgh, it’s very quiet, though we were overtaken by a 23, few passengers asked at the centre if the bus goes via Gorgie)

SpeedbirdA350

LCB need to do more in terms of advertising the whole route. I heard 2 people today, both saying that they could not get "the Lothian X27/X28" as it does not go to the outlet and they gotta wait on the first bus.

Looking at the front of the LCB it does say "Bathgate via St Johns Hospital" and that is all whereas the First gives much more info. Perhaps they need to do some programming to the board or something, maybe they need to add window stickers saying we go here there and there. I get that it might only be those 2 who did not know, but it's still confusing for some folk.

Tom1791

I realise Lothian don't really do route branding anymore but it wouldn't take much effort to put some vinyls on the side showcasing the route. It's a good way to advertise their new services to the public and probably cheaper than these radio adverts they seem to be doing.

If they want to make inroads into west lothian they need to sort out their ticketing too. I mean how hard can it be to implement a ridacard - there's no way they will take any reasonable number of commuters away from rail or firstbus without it.
A monthly season ticket from armadale on the train is £185.10. I'm sure if a Lothian buses/Lothian Country ridacard cost in the region of £90-£100 (competitive to first bus £93) a month they could steal a fair few passengers for the X18 who would be willing to save some money and get a seat on their journey or those not working right in the city centre.

Gingerbus1991

I would suspect most using the bus off-peak are blue card holders
I realise Lothian don't really do route branding anymore but it wouldn't take much effort to put some vinyls on the side showcasing the route. It's a good way to advertise their new services to the public and probably cheaper than these radio adverts they seem to be doing.

If they want to make inroads into west lothian they need to sort out their ticketing too. I mean how hard can it be to implement a ridacard - there's no way they will take any reasonable number of commuters away from rail or firstbus without it.
A monthly season ticket from armadale on the train is £185.10. I'm sure if a Lothian buses/Lothian Country ridacard cost in the region of £90-£100 (competitive to first bus £93) a month they could steal a fair few passengers for the X18 who would be willing to save some money and get a seat on their journey or those not working right in the city centre.
Well said.

In Focus

So after trying the 275 for the first time today it’s safe to say it’s definitely not the fastest way to Livingston Centre lol.

Service was pretty mild in terms of passengers, few of us (4 people) got on at the Gyle with two passengers already boarded prior, got one passenger at Newbridge and picked up a few folk at Broxburn, however First 24 overtook the 275 halfway through Broxburn and the passangers boarded that one as it was right in front of us, ended up overtaking the service at Pumpherston with one passanger boarding at the turning circle, and from then on it was a few empty stops coming into Livingston and some folk got on/off now and then.

overall it’s a handy service for regular commuters and was glad to try it the one time, though tbh i’ll stick to the X27/X28 if I’m going back to Livingston again.
You should try the X23 no Kirknewton or Dedridge and straight into Livingston from Lizzie Bryce roundabout .

overthewater

Established Member
Lothian are still doing more Surveys, so most be after more passenger information. When will first make its changes? if there dont go in now there will be pushing for February .

In Focus

Lothian are still doing more Surveys, so most be after more passenger information. When will first make its changes? if there dont go in now there will be pushing for February .
January 28th First will be making a few network alterations .

In Focus

Sounds interesting, are they increasing or decreasing competition with Lothian Country, let's see...
Increasing links on sone parts of district and adjusting some to respond to recent public meetings and points asked for by public in some areas.Certainly won't be decreasing anytime soon .

och aye

I've always found it a little strange that despite owning shares in Lothian Buses, West Lothian Council hasn't had much/any service in the local authority despite being a shareholder unlike Midlothian & East Lothian Councils since the old Lothian Regional Council and Lothian Regional Transport days.

overthewater

Established Member
I find it more surprising East and Mid lothian councils haven't demand bigger shares in the company. Mind you most of the profits go back into the operation. Said councils still get something don't there? Which could be used to help pay for other subsidise routes?

overthewater

Established Member
On top of that its seems with the two stagecoach buses are in the bus stance, the whole place comes to a stand still because nothing can get past because of all the buses in the place, which is causing delays. I did get to see very busy X28 coming in from Edinburgh, while the 275 were "meh" traveling to and from Whitburn.

I think LCB should overhaul its operations:

X17/X18, both hourly:
Edinburgh - Broxburn - Western Inch - Bathgate - Armadale - Asda - Whitburn - Heartlands - Dixon terr - East Whitburn - Blackburn - deans road - Deans north - Knightsbridge - Broxburn - Edinburgh

X27/X28:
As now, Omit Craighills and Howden

275: every 30mins each way
Gyle - Broxburn - new housing scheme, - Ladywell - St johsn - Livingston - Craighsill - Broxburn - gyle.

280, every 30mins:
Blackridge - Armdale - Bathgate - western inch - Blackburn - Sky - Livingston

livi man

Would just like to thank first bus driver's for giving up there Christmas day boxing day 1st and 2nd of January to give west Lothian a bus service well done lads

overthewater

Established Member
It's actually double pay and lieu day back

Thats been cut back, mind you at least the council still pays for it.. the talk is this is the last years the council will be paying for the services, I doubt we will see any Xmas day service next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.