• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

West Lothian buses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Driver362

I agree it's a lot of dead miles. However it's a cost both operator's face. BBT for example to an fro from deans to Edinburgh. Not sure how they cover breaks though and if its one driver one bus all day or whatever? Plus the stage carriage buses will have dead runs too? They both may claim some back on fuel duty rebate who knows. Been out that particular loop for a long time.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jordan Adam

Established Member
I agree it's a lot of dead miles. However it's a cost both operator's face. BBT for example to an fro from deans to Edinburgh. Not sure how they cover breaks though and if its one driver one bus all day or whatever? Plus the stage carriage buses will have dead runs too? They both may claim some back on fuel duty rebate who knows. Been out that particular loop for a long time.

I don't think you can claim fuel duty rebate on a dead run? That's why some operators will have special route variations (Stagecoach Highland with their 27D for example) where the service just goes direct from the terminal point to the depot.

Baileygirl

I don't think you can claim fuel duty rebate on a dead run? That's why some operators will have special route variations (Stagecoach Highland with their 27D for example) where the service just goes direct from the terminal point to the depot.
Ye a lot of companies started to set up positioning services like First's 900 from Deans depot to Livingston/East Calder/Kirknewton etc but these were deemed not to be in the scope of the rules.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Ye a lot of companies started to set up positioning services like First's 900 from Deans depot to Livingston/East Calder/Kirknewton etc but these were deemed not to be in the scope of the rules.

I'm fairly certain the reason first stopped them is because if a bus left/arrived the depot early or late it affected their punctuality score. I can't see it being because they were not deemed to be in the scope of rules given that plenty identical services still exist elsewhere within Scotland.

Observer

I'm fairly certain the reason first stopped them is because if a bus left/arrived the depot early or late it affected their punctuality score. I can't see it being because they were not deemed to be in the scope of rules given that plenty identical services still exist elsewhere within Scotland.
More like drivers weren't stopping for passengers and kept the bus lights off. Glasgow in particular had a huge problem with this.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
More like drivers weren't stopping for passengers and kept the bus lights off. Glasgow in particular had a huge problem with this.

Yes, that to some extent goes with my point, drivers not realising it's a register run, so ignoring the timetable/route - which was affecting First's punctuality.

Driver362

I've driven plenty of routes like this And as has already been said drivers never stopped on these routes. I also mentioned I have been out of that particular loop re fuel duty etc etc for a good few years. So I'm happy to be corrected on this. I guess my intention was to highlight both opp Co's have a fair bit of dead millage

jb66

Lothian Country does not go to Edinburgh from Uphall Station. So would cost more than £7.60 as you would need to change buses unless you bought a day ticket.at £8.00

Uphall station is walkable from uphall and worth the walk at those prices.

Also up to 3 kids can travel for £1 return after 0915.

Last edited:
lcb changes from the 29th of march

• PM0002883/28 Registered
    LOTHIAN COUNTRY BUSES LIMITED

Route: Leith Street, Edinburgh to Station Road, Kirkliston via Ratho Station

Service number: N43

Service type: Normal Stopping

Effective date: 30 Mar 2020

• PM0002883/14 Registered

Route: Justinhaugh Drive, Linlithgow Bridge to Regent Road, Edinburgh

Service number: X38

Service type: Limited Stop

Effective date: 29 Mar 2020

• PM0002883/9 Registered

Route: St Andrew's Square, Edinburgh to Justinhaugh Drive, Linlithgow Bridge

Service number: EX2

• PM0002883/1 Registered

Route: Edinburgh Park Station to Bathgate Railway Station via Gyle, Broxburn

Service number: 275

• PM0002883/2 Registered

Route: Edinburgh Regent Road to Bathgate Morrisons via East/Mid Calder, Craigshill, Ladywell, Deans

Service number: X28

• PM0002883/3 Registered

Route: Livingston Bus Terminal to Blackridge West End via St John's Hospital, Carmondean, Deans South, Bathgate, Bathville, Armadale

Service number: 280

• PM0002883/5 Registered

Route: Regent Road, Edinburgh to Whitburn, Polkemmet Road via Haymarket, Corstorphine, Broxburn, Uphall, Wester Inch, bathgate

Service number: X18

• PM0002883/8 Registered

Route: Loganlea to Regend Road, Edinburgh via Livingston, Broxburn,

Service number: X17

• PM0002883/13 Registered

Route: West Main Street, Whitburn to Regent Road, Edinburgh

Service number: X27

overthewater

Established Member
So it retiming plus mergering 287 and 275 together. Lets hope it only goes around st John's once.

A330Alex

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
Maybe they are making the south queensferry nightbus take the airport road rather than the a90?

Must be an error, surely barnton/dalmeny residents would not be happy that their only night bus is stripped from them

Noticed the X17 is now Loganlea to Edinburgh, either that’s an error too or Fauldhouse is getting withdrawn from LCB

jb66

you can get it to Murrayfield currently literally a 2 minute walk to Roseburn

I could do, or I can get first bus that stops there.

The murrayfield stop is quite a distance from Tynecastle Park, it's just as long as walking back to haymarket

mb88

The new stopping pattern for the X17/18/38 will be as it is currently to Maybury then all stops to Drum Brae South, then ONLY Toby Carvery, Station Road/Kirk Loan, Zoo, Western Corner, Murrayfield, Haymarket.

Some morning and evening peak X17 and X18 will operate via the RBS Gogarburn campus.

287 withdrawn with the 275 extended to cover this route to Bathgate.

X17 withdrawn between Loganlea and Fauldhouse.

Amended timetables on most routes.

jb66

N43 being extended from south queensferry to kirkliston. I expected to see a N18 for the weekend since first is pulling out of the Night Service

overthewater

Established Member
So cost cutting has started.. Fauldhouse is gone and x12 is gone. Mind you x12 change is a smart move.

I see it lcb now matches first bus stops. Which is good.

So first has fauldhouse and lcb has kirknewton.

Last edited:

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
N43 being extended from south queensferry to kirkliston. I expected to see a N18 for the weekend since first is pulling out of the Night Service

Suppose that saves the use of a N38 if the Linlithgow corridor demands it further down the line, suprised at the lack of a N18 too, but surprised that Fauldhouse is no longer served

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
Also in the FAQ the 275 will terminate at the Gyle and only serve Edinburgh Park at peak times!

Wonder if the late evening journeys will still run on this service? And hope the Bathgate section is viable

DunsBus

Established Member
I'm sure the railway bridge at Fauldhouse will be breathing a sigh of relief come March 29th, now that the X17 is being cut back.

Driver362

Must be an error, surely barnton/dalmeny residents would not be happy that their only night bus is stripped from them

Noticed the X17 is now Loganlea to Edinburgh, either that’s an error too or Fauldhouse is getting withdrawn from LCB
X17 is not an error. Could see that one a mile off! Total waste of diesel going past west calder /loganlea. What little customers there is up there, they have stuck with first. Which is totaly there choice. Can't say I will miss going up there tbh

Status
Not open for further replies.