• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

West Lothian buses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Driver362

And we will be doing peak rbs Gogar journeys too. I get paid to go from terminus to terminus so don't care much where they go. It's our running times and shifts I'm more interested in. Which is probably the bit most folks on here are Not interested in 8-)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

overthewater

Established Member
The merger of X12 into X17/18 has to be a result of freeing up resources to allow the extra buses to go onto other routes affected by the Tram works.

ScotRail158725

Established Member
The merger of X12 into X17/18 has to be a result of freeing up resources to allow the extra buses to go onto other routes affected by the Tram works.
tbh not much more will be needed, PVRs may go up by 1 or 2 so that’s like 6 extra MOST.

Observer

It's our running times and shifts I'm more interested in. Which is probably the bit most folks on here are Not interested in 8-)
I'd disagree as there may always be people potentially interested in joining the company and want to know what to expect in terms of shifts and such. Share as much as you can.

mb88

I'd disagree as there may always be people potentially interested in joining the company and want to know what to expect in terms of shifts and such. Share as much as you can.

The shifts and running times are crap. There we go!

The shifts and running times are crap. There we go!
I guess most bus companies will try to take the driving duties to max of the law or just below as regards to length of time on shift
, what interests and attracts drivers ( or just me) is
Pay, rosters, rolling or steady,and within a rolling roster how it’s allocated on the line , how close are the finish times to each duty and start times , rest day patterns too .
Running times in my opinion are the companies fault if they don’t allocate enough time and recovery time , the driver should and can drive to the comfort and safety of the passengers.
on another note
Where would I find bus companies publishing real punctuality percentages ,and Should they be doing that ?

mb88

I’ve never understood the mentality of companies scheduling routes too tightly. I mean yes it may save money as you can have one less bus or whatever but, as we have quite clearly seen since the last changes at LC in November, reliability has taken a massive hit which in turn has undoubtedly affected passenger numbers. You just have to look at social media to see the number of complaints have gone through the roof since November. I know I’m not the only one at the company that’s waiting to see how things pan out from the next round of changes and if they don’t improve I’ll be offski. The fact that ex First drivers are going back to First for less money must surely set alarm bells ringing with the powers that be.

Driver362

Think I may come with you!. I've went from singing the praises to dreading going in!. Doesn't help we've not got our original boss either!.

Driver362

The timings on our runs from Nov changes required a foot to the floor style, which I don't Realy like. It minds me of driving 38's in early 00's. Reliability suffered after moving to Livingston requiring buses to be shuttled to Longstone for maintenance. Although engineering dept is now open. But the biggest one for me is our gaffer got seconded to Lothian depots to cover. Gentalman of a guy but I believe he's back today. He held the place together best gaffer I've had on buses. So with these two now being sorted hopefully things pick up again

The timings on our runs from Nov changes required a foot to the floor style, which I don't Realy like. It minds me of driving 38's in early 00's. Reliability suffered after moving to Livingston requiring buses to be shuttled to Longstone for maintenance. Although engineering dept is now open. But the biggest one for me is our gaffer got seconded to Lothian depots to cover. Gentalman of a guy but I believe he's back today. He held the place together best gaffer I've had on buses. So with these two now being sorted hopefully things pick up again

I get it ! If it suits you to stay I can understand how these things that go wrong get to you .

Driver362

Well I've kinda made my bed so to speak, really hope it turns around. It was great at the start and kinda went a bit south. Let's hope these changes and the two above mentioned things get it back to being decent again. I personally think they tried to cut things to tightly to save on man power vehicles etc and went to far. This had the effect putting ridiculous amount of pressure on all staff. Thus retaining staff became an issue as it can in all bus garages., one can only hope ehh :)

A330Alex

Couple of things I noticed in the new timetables:
Overall, most services have increased running time.

EX2 is now every 20 min for early morning trips from Linlithgow. Running time increased a good bit on the rush hour trips.

N43 is now all night on Fri/Sat night (00:10/01:40/03:10) from Leith Street through to Kirkliston.

Earlier trips on the X17, X38 and EX2.

Cut wise, reduced Saturday service beyond Kilpunt Roundabout on the 275. First bus will arrive at the Gyle 0824 and the last bus will arrive at 18:02. Currently 07:16 and 20:18 respectively. Last full route X17 from Edinburgh will be 1954, currently 21:25.

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
N43 journeys heading into Edinburgh will run via A8 in order to only use the one bus as part of the every 90 min frequency

overthewater

Established Member
IF LCB are smart there will bring back 30min head way during the Edinburgh festival and add in later run. plus extra 00.40 on the n43

With the Ex2 it running time from Linlithgow x to St Andrews Sq is 55mins... X38 has been given an extra 4mins, its running time is 55-58mins? What is the point? If you heading to business district great but what use is the Ex2 going to Far end? Its one step forward and one step back. What they need to do is pull it out of going via Conference Centre off peak and get it straight up to Princess street instead. its only 3mins faster than the X38 between Linlithgow Cross to Maybury. Surly does not need all that extra time..

DunsBus

Established Member
With the news today that the Lothian MD is to step down, the writing must surely now be on the wall for Lothian Country Buses.

Auld reekie

Because it's loosing money and it's became pretty evident that the majority shareholder isn't happy with it. I wouldn't be shocked if there were other scale backs elsewhere in the Lothian empire.
Anytime I’ve seen the X27/X28 you’re lucky if there’s a handful of passengers.
I take your point.
Can comment on the rest.

DunsBus

Established Member
Because it's loosing money and it's became pretty evident that the majority shareholder isn't happy with it. I wouldn't be shocked if there were other scale backs elsewhere in the Lothian empire.

I can see both LCB and ECB being sold off and Motorcoaches closed down, leaving LB to concentrate on the core city market.

smtglasgow

East Coast Buses is a decent business with a monopoly in East Lothian – I’d be very surprised if it isn’t at least breaking even now. LCB is a completely different scenario – there’s a reason we see so few large-scale competitive start-ups. I don’t know if it was arrogance or naivety that led them to think First would simply walk away, but they’ve done some pretty inexplicable things that must have made the losses greater. Starting a brand new venture like the EX1/2 with a fleet of new high-spec coaches was odd to say the least.

Having said that, they’ve sunk a lot into LCB, so perhaps it’s more likely that they’ll end up in a stare-off with First to see who blinks first. They’re both losing a fortune, so it’ll come down to which companies board gets cold feet first.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
East Coast Buses is a decent business with a monopoly in East Lothian – I’d be very surprised if it isn’t at least breaking even now. LCB is a completely different scenario – there’s a reason we see so few large-scale competitive start-ups. I don’t know if it was arrogance or naivety that led them to think First would simply walk away, but they’ve done some pretty inexplicable things that must have made the losses greater. Starting a brand new venture like the EX1/2 with a fleet of new high-spec coaches was odd to say the least.

Having said that, they’ve sunk a lot into LCB, so perhaps it’s more likely that they’ll end up in a stare-off with First to see who blinks first. They’re both losing a fortune, so it’ll come down to which companies board gets cold feet first.

I agree, i can't see ECB going as it's profitable and does well, LCB not so. I think it was very much the case that Lothian thought First would just walk away, but clearly that's not the case and First have no intentions of moving any time soon. With a new management line up i'd be surprised if there was any enthusiasm for LCB, if i'm not mistaken aren't they already trying to cut down on overheads there?

I think i mentioned before but i think it's fairly telling that every Lothian change within West Lothian since last Summer has been a cut, while at First it's been increases. That being said if new management do give it the chop i wouldn't be surprised if it was done just before the fringe so they could transfer some drivers and buses to cover for the diversions...

ScotRail158725

Established Member
I agree, i can't see ECB going as it's profitable and does well, LCB not so. I think it was very much the case that Lothian thought First would just walk away, but clearly that's not the case and First have no intentions of moving any time soon. With a new management line up i'd be surprised if there was any enthusiasm for LCB, if i'm not mistaken aren't they already trying to cut down on overheads there?

I think i mentioned before but i think it's fairly telling that every Lothian change within West Lothian since last Summer has been a cut, while at First it's been increases. That being said if new management do give it the chop i wouldn't be surprised if it was done just before the fringe so they could transfer some drivers and buses to cover for the diversions...
i reckon if the new MDs are willing to take a blow to potentially wait and see if first will eventually sell up or withdraw from the area they could. i was going to say i dont see LC staying long tbh but then i remembered the 43, the 43 spent almost a year on its own under the LC brand and if WL goes all together then what would happen with the 43? would it remain LC or would it change to a city route. i could see Motorcoaches go aswell, they could get some profit from selling those recently refurbed to high spec vehicles. however east coast arent going, if anyone sais its not profitable then they’re wrong, some may be more than others but it’s definitely here to stay

Jordan Adam

Established Member
i reckon if the new MDs are willing to take a blow to potentially wait and see if first will eventually sell up or withdraw from the area they could. i was going to say i dont see LC staying long tbh but then i remembered the 43, the 43 spent almost a year on its own under the LC brand and if WL goes all together then what would happen with the 43? would it remain LC or would it change to a city route. i could see Motorcoaches go aswell, they could get some profit from selling those recently refurbed to high spec vehicles. however east coast arent going, if anyone sais its not profitable then they’re wrong, some may be more than others but it’s definitely here to stay

Just to clarify (i should have already....) all of what i've said above regarding LC isn't including the 43. If LC did go then the 43 would probably just go back to how it was before. Really it depends on the how the council feel going forward. That being said i very highly doubt LC will be sold, if they did put it up for sale it would probably be bought by First or not sell at all as to any operator outside the area LC isn't appealing.
With LMC i can see them retaining the contract work, however hires probably not as the market in Edinburgh is already over saturated and LMC was always to some extent viewed as a vanity project (as was LC). With ECB, i agree. I can't see it going.

Hopefully once/if LC goes First will revamp the network again so no links are lost. But we'll have to wait and see. Most people i know and have spoke too outside of this forum however do agree that it seems not that likely that Lothian will still be racing through Livingston by the end of the year.

overthewater

Established Member
Why is East Coast and motor coaches getting dragged in? both will deffo stay, Motorcoaches has a nice line up of work for itselfs. LCB is the problem, I think it writing's on the wall however its still questionable if its does go completely, and it's still possible ( just like first we could see LCB staying as is in 2021) We have to remember there are staff on this broad, but I doubt it very much any job losses will happen, company always needs drivers.

If Lothian had done this in 2012 or even 2016 it had a chance, but it has mist the boat. Every time, its new ideas have been questionable, the lack of a proper weekly has not helped either. X38 should have been done with First cut the route to every 30mins, not 6 months After first put it back to every 15mins. Ex1 as badly thought out, while the Ex2 should have used stock on the X38, it should have local fares within Linlithgow etc LCB ideas have merit no question about it but how some of them have been executed is where the troubles is.

FIrst are deffo not going to blink now, there can see blood, and the tour buses continue to damaged Lothian aswell. Question has to be will a deal be done, with First pulling bright bus tours in september while LCB scales back most of its routes. I can see some route being kept ie links to edinburgh and 275.

You can never tell, Either way it's still very interesting what might happen., Big Q: have we all signed the check too soon?

Last edited:

Driver362

OTW thanks for pointing out there are staff on here who work there. Me being one, as I've said in previous posts don't want to see anyone lose there job, but certainly the way it's being discussed is as if it is of no consequence. Half the people on here have never seen a drivers seat never mind driven one. Some not even from the area commenting on what will happen before it's happened with little regard for the people who work there! Everyone is a b+??! Y expert on here!!

Jordan Adam

Established Member
OTW thanks for pointing out there are staff on here who work there. Me being one, as I've said in previous posts don't want to see anyone lose there job, but certainly the way it's being discussed is as if it is of no consequence.!

I don't think anyone is forgetting about the staff, however i can understand why it may bother you. However it's going to be discussed regardless, so if it bothers you my only advice really would be not to respond.

Why is East Coast and motor coaches getting dragged in? both will deffo stay, Motorcoaches has a nice line up of work for itselfs. LCB is the problem, I think it writing's on the wall however its still questionable if its does go completely, and it's still possible ( just like first we could see LCB staying as is in 2021) We have to remember there are staff on this broad, but I doubt it very much any job losses will happen, company always needs drivers.

If Lothian had done this in 2012 or even 2016 it had a chance, but it has mist the boat. Every time, its new ideas have been questionable, the lack of a proper weekly has not helped either. X38 should have been done with First cut the route to every 30mins, not 6 months After first put it back to every 15mins. Ex1 as badly thought out, while the Ex2 should have used stock on the X38, it should have local fares within Linlithgow etc LCB ideas have merit no question about it but how some of them have been executed is where the troubles is.

FIrst are deffo not going to blink now, there can see blood, and the tour buses continue to damaged Lothian aswell. Question has to be will a deal be done, with First pulling bright bus tours in september while LCB scales back most of its routes. I can see some route being kept ie links to edinburgh and 275.

You can never tell, Either way it's still very interesting what might happen., Big Q: have we all signed the check too soon?

Because with the management changing i can see the council having more of a say and wanting to get rid of any excessive overheads or expenses. The fact Hall has departed at such short notice speaks for itself i think. I can't see ECB going, but i wouldn't be shocked if LMC got cut back or reduced to just contracts. Again though we'll have to wait and see. Regarding drivers, if LC was to shut then most likely the drivers would be offered positions at other depots and Lothian would cut down on recruiting for a while. As you say they're always looking for drivers so it's unlikely there would be any losses. For all we know the new management could strike a deal with First which would seem the best outcome, how this could work is up for discussion so i'll say no more at the moment.

I agree though, one of the key failures of LC has been timing, any of the good ideas they've had have been done too late or half thought out. I don't think anyone is saying for sure LC will go, however it's pretty evident without going in to too much detail that the future looks unfortunately bleak.

That said, if LC were to pull out and First revamped/increased their network to cover what do you think they'd do or should do? I'll maybe post my thoughts later....

Status
Not open for further replies.