• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

West Lothian buses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Journeyman

Established Member
Not very professional on Lothian's part. They didn't have to mention any operator and should perhaps have given the customer a link to Traveline Scotland. Sounds to me that some bus operators are getting worse at Customer Services and think that everyone and their dog can do the job.

I suspect it was a genuine mistake. When I briefly worked for First handling enquires in 2011/12, it was company policy not to tell anyone anything about other operators, and I actually got into trouble for doing it.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
I suspect it was a genuine mistake. When I briefly worked for First handling enquires in 2011/12, it was company policy not to tell anyone anything about other operators, and I actually got into trouble for doing it.
In which case, the correct response was to refer the person to Traveline.

To point them to Stagecoach seems a little odd.

CN04NRJ

Established Member
First will be running the 20/63 from Monday 31st August by the looks of it.

overthewater

Established Member
This was a council tender so what is happening here?

PM1032689/27 Cancelled
BLUE BUS LTD
Route: Fauldhouse Railway Station to Livingston Centre Designer Outlet via Breich, West Calder, Longridge
Service number: 71
Service type: Normal Stopping
Effective date: 05 Oct 2020

overthewater

Established Member
Here it is:

PM1131879/1 Cancelled (Short notice)
ROMADERO LTD
Route: Gyle Shopping Centre to Gyle Shopping Centre via Maybury, Parkgrove, Clermiston, Corstorphine, Craigs Road
Service number: 68
Service type: Hail & Ride, Normal Stopping
Effective date: 31 Aug 2020

Bus9120UK

Established Member
I don't think it was a genuine mistake as this sort of thing has happened a few times where Lothian will just pretend First don't exist, hence why i posted it here... Lets not forget when The Scottish Government announced a new £500million fund to improve bus priority infrastructure Lothian cropped First out the photo.
What I think is that they did not remove first because they were not liked but more to centre the people as it looks smarter, than having them all on the right with a bus sitting at the left with nothing infront of it.

CN04NRJ

Established Member
Inside information? Or has it been officially announced?

Duty changes from the 30th for Longstone single deck drivers, the registration ending on the 31st and First route learning the 20/63 this week can only mean one thing. Hope that's not breaking the official secrets act :lol:

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Duty changes from the 30th for Longstone single deck drivers, the registration ending on the 31st and First route learning the 20/63 this week can only mean one thing. Hope that's not breaking the official secrets act :lol:

MI5 will be at your front door tomorrow morning! :lol:

JurassicMan

So 2 years to the day since Lothian Country launched their attack on West Lothian.

Success or Failure (or somewhere in between)?

I assume its not quite gone as planned and the figures must be utterly eye popping to those counting the pennies.
Of course that now applies to both operators both running buses practically empty at most times of the day.

Have any of the services been a rip roaring success? Much changing and tinkering would suggest the quest for the non existent " secret formula" seems to be ongoing and it remains a money pit that is not getting any shallower.

X18 seems to do pretty well and was assisted massively by first withdrawing the 29 from Bathgate to Broxburn .

280 is potentially another one where numbers will be standing up not sure if the money will equate to showing that though.

X27 /X28 Have been tinkered with and was never a route for making any money even during Firstbus days it was seen as a massive millstone on finances( and there was no competition)

X17 Strange service shortening and omitting Fauldhouse would be a massive worry and is squashed between 26 and 26A on a corridor that is well overstocked with buses

275 Again a service that's been tweaked and tinkered with and you just think its searching for passengers

281 , 287 & X1 removed and no idea whats to happen with X2 & X 38.

So overall a mixed bag in past 2 years ,will it last ? very doubtful but then most thought it wouldn't last 2 years and it has :)

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
Won’t be much longer now it seems! Has been interesting seeing First learning drivers around the area :lol:

CN04NRJ

Established Member
So 2 years to the day since Lothian Country launched their attack on West Lothian.

I assume its not quite gone as planned and the figures must be utterly eye popping to those counting the pennies.
Of course that now applies to both operators both running buses practically empty at most times of the day.

Have any of the services been a rip roaring success? Much changing and tinkering would suggest the quest for the non existent " secret formula" seems to be ongoing and it remains a money pit that is not getting any shallower.

X18 seems to do pretty well and was assisted massively by first withdrawing the 29 from Bathgate to Broxburn .

280 is potentially another one where numbers will be standing up not sure if the money will equate to showing that though.

X27 /X28 Have been tinkered with and was never a route for making any money even during Firstbus days it was seen as a massive millstone on finances( and there was no competition)

X17 Strange service shortening and omitting Fauldhouse would be a massive worry and is squashed between 26 and 26A on a corridor that is well overstocked with buses

275 Again a service that's been tweaked and tinkered with and you just think its searching for passengers

So overall a mixed bag in past 2 years ,will it last ? very doubtful but then most thought it wouldn't last 2 years and it has :)

Well the 287 has been (almost) directly replaced by the extended 275.

ScotRail158725

Established Member

the x18 and 280 definitely seem to be their strongest routes by miles, the x27 and x28 started picking up the last 6/7 months before lockdown. the rest, particularly the 275 and 281 were executed badly and never had any even reasonable at best loadings in them

TheEastCoaster

Established Member

I’m hoping the X38 comes back soon, It was handy visiting Kirkliston with my ridacard, and with the 63 going they will be without any Lothian service!

X17 is a handy bus and is a nice alternative to the X27/X28 to Livingston, plus it did give a link to Fauldhouse and West Calder which didn’t have a bus link to the city prior, now that Fauldhouse is no more anyway let’s hope it can still stay strong.

X18 is pretty fast and quite a popular choice from town to Bathgate, I took it a few weeks ago to Whitburn and it was an amazing direct route, think it only took an hour just to reach Armadale and the loadings were not bad within West Lothian

X27/X28 is handy within the city as it provides the fastest link to Sighthill from the city with West Approach Road! Only traveled the full route of the X27 and only been as far as Livingston on the X28, I can feel more folk favour the X28 with its link to Kirknewton

275 is no doubt a “controversial“ route I put in loose terms, but having traveled the route Bathgate-Broxburn I can honestly say that Wester Inch is longer than I expected and I can see why the X18 was taken away from there! It’s a long route but fine when it’s not a single decker!

280 I’ve only been on once in the late evening for a short journey and I was the only one on!!
:lol: LCB is doomed everybody, sound the I told you so alarms!

i have yet to try the Ex2 or had the honour of trying the 287 when it was still running, but while there were points made on unoriginal ideas for routes, I can see that now! Like the LCB X38 is literally Firsts route to Linlithgow even down the the route number!

If I could change these routes myself I would do the following

X17/X18/X38 - Have one of these services run through New Liston Road/Parkside in Newbridge.

X17 - Serve the Pumpherston turning circle.

X27/X28 - Serve Hermiston P&R during Peaktimes much like the X17/X18 are to serve RBS Gogarburn.

X38 - Serve Bridgend Village properly in both directions, introduce morning peak journeys from Kirkliston to the City

275 - Serve Ingilston P&R to connect with the Trams and Airport and run to the Gyle on a Sunday.

N28 - Extend to Bathgate South Bridge Street, and run through Kirknewton

overthewater

Established Member

Its somewhere in between, its pretty clear it not going to plan, but they only have themselves to blame for this, We wont go over old ground but First fought back, First took the challenge to them, Lothian had to keep on making changes, on top of that have already started to pulled out of a few areas already. To save grace the routes via the A8 had to go after the city passengers, Lothian even axed the X12 to try and puff up the LCB routes that past RBS. I do not believe the x38 will come back ( as bond as said Never say never)

Last edited:

smtglasgow

I wonder if Lothian/LCB will want to keep a presence in Kirkliston – maybe even as far as Winchburgh – but ditch Linlithgow? There’s a hell of a lot of housing due to go up in the area (plus more around the airport) and if they’ve got the funds to get through a few lean years, it should pay off in the long run. Although it might make more sense to pull out completely and just try again when the houses actually get built – the Covid slump will probably delay things.

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
I wonder if Lothian/LCB will want to keep a presence in Kirkliston – maybe even as far as Winchburgh – but ditch Linlithgow? There’s a hell of a lot of housing due to go up in the area (plus more around the airport) and if they’ve got the funds to get through a few lean years, it should pay off in the long run. Although it might make more sense to pull out completely and just try again when the houses actually get built – the Covid slump will probably delay things.

bare in mind Kirkliston residents have been begging for a direct Lothian service for years and only just got it last year only for it to be axed 4 months later, in my opinion they got the unfair end of the stick.

overthewater

Established Member

The Funding was already sent out, however its unclear who or what got the money.

bare in mind Kirkliston residents have been begging for a direct Lothian service for years and only just got it last year only for it to be axed 4 months later, in my opinion they got the unfair end of the stick.

They never made the switch did they? If the passengers were so unhappy with First they would have all made the switch but they didn't

scotrail158713

Established Member
Any option is possible with LCB :)
But do social media pleas translate to passengers? I don’t know if it’s always the case.

Swanny200

Anyone up there in the know tell me how some of the other (Non Horsburgh) independents like S.D Travel and Blue Bus are doing with all the Covid stuff?

Jordan Adam

Established Member

Truth be told many other towns of similar size would kill for the level of service Kirkliston have from First alone.

overthewater

Established Member
Some people may think Winchburgh is a golden goose, however within this master plan a Train station will be built, and a brand new junction with the M9 will be built. So unless Ex2 comes back via winchburgh which defeats the purpose of it going around Linlithgow I doubt x38 will have much chance of major passenger boost, Thats not to say First hasn't eyed out new customers, IE 600. etc

Baileygirl

This was a council tender so what is happening here?

PM1032689/27 Cancelled
BLUE BUS LTD
Route: Fauldhouse Railway Station to Livingston Centre Designer Outlet via Breich, West Calder, Longridge
Service number: 71
Service type: Normal Stopping
Effective date: 05 Oct 2020
Has the West Lothian Council contracts been awarded from this date as I see that Horseburgh have also put in a registration for the Bathagate town service 5A 5B from this date also

overthewater

Established Member
Has the West Lothian Council contracts been awarded from this date as I see that Horseburgh have also put in a registration for the Bathagate town service 5A 5B from this date also

It strange because tenders never went out... There has been no notice for them on either goverment website.

Status
Not open for further replies.