• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

West Lothian buses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Observer

The answer is simple: They could have been extended until next year or so. No point retendering under this current situation.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
With regard to contracts/tenders that have or have not been extended, could we please see some evidence (i.e. links, along with an appropriate quote from a reputable source)?

Volvodart

Established Member
The answer is simple: They could have been extended until next year or so. No point retendering under this current situation.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/local-news/covid-19-lockdown-long-term-22333665

Covid-19 lockdown will have long-term impact on West Lothian bus services
West Lothian Council has completed a review of bus services throughout the county.

The Covid lockdown will have long-term consequences for bus services in West Lothian as commercial operators look at survival plans.

West Lothian Council had completed a review of bus services throughout the county as part of plans to redesign the contract tenders process and was about to launch that plan when the lockdown was announced.

Now the public transport landscape has changed out of all recognition as the main commercial operators have slashed services in the face of an 85% drop in passenger use.

The council’s public transport budget is almost £10m, with £2m allocated for local bus services. Extra one-funding of £300,000 has also been agreed for this year - and the next financial year 2021-22.

However, the future is ripe with uncertainty. A report to the council’s Executive just before the summer recess said: “At this point it is unclear how the network will recover post Covid-19 and highly unlikely that the commercial network will be reinstated without change.”

It added: “The travelling habits of passengers are likely to be different after any recovery period with new travelling habits formed and many passengers potentially opting not to use public transport due to health and safety concerns. Additionally, any physical distancing requirements set by the Government will also have an impact on commercial services reducing the number of people permitted to be on public transport at any one time.”

Some commercial operators reckon social distancing rules alone could threaten their viability because rules would cut passenger potential by up to a fifth.

The report highlighted: “ The Public Transport Unit has been liaising with local operators continuously throughout this period to keep updated with movement in the network and projections for service review and recovery. Early discussions with operators have highlighted concern regarding continuing both contracted and commercial services in their current form.”

That could mean the council having to spend more subsidising routes in some parts of the county previously served by commercial operators.

The review carried out up to early March had also considered the development of community transport including encouraging the use of Third Sector providers and more community transport schemes.

Councillors agreed to extend the review and the Public Transport Unit will report back in the Spring of next year. Meanwhile it is likely that some contracts will change and the council faces having to respond to each contract as the situation develops.

Council meeting report pdf:-

https://coins.westlothian.gov.uk/coins/viewSelectedDocument.asp?c=e%97%9Dh%94q%80%8C

The council meeting report pdf below answers what is happening with the Bathgate town service:-

https://coins.westlothian.gov.uk/coins/viewSelectedDocument.asp?c=e%97%9Dh%95k%7B%90

Last edited:

overthewater

Established Member
It would seem the council will try and get Falkirk bus back to Bathgate at least, going by that doc. IF Lothian have any sense they would bid for that Service 40, it would be a good bolt on to their routes, no matter what happens to LCB.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
It would seem the council will try and get Falkirk bus back to Bathgate at least, going by that doc. IF Lothian have any sense they would bid for that Service 40, it would be a good bolt on to their routes, no matter what happens to LCB.

I agree, the 40 would be a good addition for Lothian, i'm not sure if they would bid against an independent though.

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
I agree, the 40 would be a good addition for Lothian, i'm not sure if they would bid against an independent though.

they are many good reasons why the 40 would be perfect for LCB

*Direct link from Gilmerton to Hermiston free with a ridacard and under Lothian fares
*gives Ratho a Lothian service back and also a chance to connect to the city via Hermiston P&R
*Lothians general reputation might help draw in more passengers both city and West Lothian especially with the handy link between hospitals and many changeover points for other services
*The 63 was proven to be popular back when Lothian claimed it in 2014 and its lasted a good 6 years, however all the best to First and hopefully they can do it justice with the Balerno extension

but that’s my opinion, I’m not holding my breath but fingers crossed here!

What happened to Lothian Country 181 (SN13 BFA), has it been scrapped or has it been repaired

*Mod note* This was originally posted in the Lothian and ECB thread

Last edited by a moderator:

VioletEclipse

What happened to Lothian Country 181 (SN13 BFA), has it been scrapped or has it been repaired

*Mod note* This was originally posted in the Lothian and ECB thread
Last I saw of it was at Seafield Works in December, it looked pretty bad. It is new enough that it may get saved but equally I can see it being a spare parts bus.

Auld reekie

Duty changes from the 30th for Longstone single deck drivers, the registration ending on the 31st and First route learning the 20/63 this week can only mean one thing. Hope that's not breaking the official secrets act :lol:
Thanks for posting this.
Firstbus and Lothian buses have not been very informative about this.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
Thanks for posting this.
FB and LB have not been very informative about this.

probably won’t be an update until a day prior or something

speaking of which is there a service change due soon? It’s been almost 3 weeks since the last set of changes

CN04NRJ

Established Member
probably won’t be an update until a day prior or something

speaking of which is there a service change due soon? It’s been almost 3 weeks since the last set of changes

I think we might see more from mid September, there's talk of Marine reopening too so that's excellent news.

overthewater

Established Member
Same time as the uni's return and most offices are allowed to reopen by any chance? If X38 isnt back around this period its gone for good.

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
  • Registration numberPM0000923/350
  • Licence NumberPM0000923
  • Variation number0
  • StatusNew
  • Service number.63
  • Service typeNormal Stopping
  • Start pointCockburn Crescent, Balerno
  • Finish pointBorrowman Square, South Quensferry
  • ViaHeriot Watt University, Hermiston Gate, Gyle Centre, Kirkliston,
  • Date received24 Aug 2020
  • Effective date31 Aug 2020
  • End date
  • Supported by subsidies?In Part
  • Local authorities covered by routeThe City of Edinburgh Council
  • TAOs covered by routeScotland

• Registration numberPM0000923/351
  • Licence NumberPM0000923
  • Variation number0
  • StatusNew
  • Service number.20
  • Service typeNormal Stopping
  • Start pointNewmarket Road, Chesser
  • Finish pointHallcroft Close, Ratho
  • ViaLongstone, Wester Hailes, Edinburgh Park
  • Date received24 Aug 2020
  • Effective date31 Aug 2020
  • End date
  • Supported by subsidies?In Part
  • Local authorities covered by routeThe City of Edinburgh Council
  • TAOs covered by routeScotland
Here we go!

Not sure if any of these three routes really qualify as on-topic 'West Lothian buses'. But maybe if they're now run from a depot in West Lothian there's a tenuous connection.
Anyway, well done to an operator in West Lothian winning tendered routes quite some distance from their base. Will be interesting to see what initiatives they use to attract Edinburgh passengers.

Gareth1980

I assume the 20 is an emergency timetable, as 45 minutes sat at ASDA after each run?

I wonder if the full 63 will be every 45 minutes as that would work well, Hourly would not?

Edirim

A lot of layover time in those timetables although the timings for schools/universities look quite good.
Neither are emergency timetables - the 20 is returning to full route and the 63 is extended to Balerno.
Lack of Sunday Service isn't a good sign though.

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
A lot of layover time in those timetables although the timings for schools/universities look quite good.
Neither are emergency timetables - the 20 is returning to full route and the 63 is extended to Balerno.
Lack of Sunday Service isn't a good sign though.

to be fair that may be part of the emergency timetable as Lothian withdrew both Sunday services during lockdown, once we return to normality both the 20/63 will run 7 days a week

Edirim

*holds hands up*

I stand corrected. I was basing my comment on the return of the full routes and the fact it looked like a full day timetable.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.