• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

West Midlands 172 on WCML

Status
Not open for further replies.

MatthewRead

On Moderation
While waiting at Willesden Junction I saw a 2 car West Midlands 172/2 on the West Coast Main line could somebody tell me where it was going because i'm sure drivers don't sign that part of the network.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

59CosG95

Established Member
While waiting at Willesden Junction I saw a 2 car West Midlands 172/2 on the West Coast Main line could somebody tell me where it was going because i'm sure drivers don't sign that part of the network.
Was it heading north or south?
The 172/2s have been visiting Ilford for a refurbishment now that the 172/0s are on the NUCKLE route. They couldn't do it before the /0s arrived as there wasn't enough slack in the fleet for them to send 172/0s away.
ROG probably crewed it.

HLE

Established Member
The /0's were done before they entered service in may with WMT

59CosG95

Established Member
The /0's were done before they entered service in may with WMT
Indeed they did. What I was trying to imply was that there was simply no slack in the WMR fleet at Tyseley before the 172/0s came and saw off the 150s from Hereford work, and the 153s from NUCKLE. (The 230s saw them off from Marston Vale services, but that's beside the point.)
The main point is that there are now more units available on depot, so WMR can afford to send the 172/2s (and thence the 172/3s) to Ilford for refurbishment.

Even then, the 172/0s weren't fully done - they aren't yet fitted with plug sockets & WiFi "domes". I assume a further trip to Ilford will be required for them once the other 172s are all done.

Status
Not open for further replies.